The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Discuss films.
jshamblin

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Post by jshamblin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:38 am

Has anyone seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki wo kakeru shôjo) yet? I know it's been making it's run through Film Festivals this past year, but I've missed it and I've been told it's a pretty good film. Can anyone tell me the US release date?

Synopsis:

When 17-year-old Makoto Konno gains the ability to, quite literally, "leap" backwards through time, she immediately sets about improving her grades and preventing personal mishaps. However, she soon realizes that changing the past isn't as simple as it seems, and eventually, will have to rely on her new powers to shape the future of her and her friends.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:51 am

Yeah, this film's limited release made it overlooked against the likes of Brave Story and Earthsea despite receiving more favorable reviews than either! Winner of the Japanese Academy Awards for "Animation of the Year". I plan on seeing this. There's one upcoming screening of this in LA that I know of. I don't think anyone's picked it up for wide release yet. Out of curiosity, I've even bought the live action 1983 version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086456/ on DVD. The 1983 version was a so-so movie but the story was original. I hear the Japanese DVD for the anime is coming out on April 20th. Don't know if it'll have english subs though.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:37 pm

I read the same thing. It's sad that it only opened in one theater in Tokyo. Since movies are a little pricey in Japan, I'm sure it didn't help matters much, but maybe the award was able to open some eyes.

I would love to see this movie in theater, but I doubt they will play it anywhere near Georgia. Foreign films don't do so well around here. Audiences here don't like to read subtitles. It's a shame. They're missing out on so much. I guess I'll have to wait until DVD to see it. I'll cross my fingers for English subtitles.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:26 pm

I just got back from the LA screening of this. It's a good movie. I didn't get totally absorbed by it probably cause I was too aware of the large audience and I was in analyze mode. But I'd give it a 7.5, whereas I'd rate the live action version a 6.5. The beginning was funny and gets into more drama towards the end. The explanation for the time leaping for both movies I've always felt was kind of cheesy (especially the live action one) but logical. It's all handled quite well. The soundtrack's nice too. I had a great time and will probably remember it fondly.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34 am

The R3 Korean DVD is available with eng subs: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 005027540/
I wouldn't say it's worth 36 bucks but it's a good good movie. Every positive review of this has been well deserved. Best anime of 2006, in my opinion. I'd rewatch it over Paprika or Earthsea any day.

Update: The R3 HK DVD is available with eng subs:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 005058577/
15 bucks is totally worth it.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:52 pm

I revisited this recently and it still holds up as a darn fine movie. Rarely have I found such satisfying work. It would be a cryin' shame for it to go overlooked. Has anyone else seen it? Bandai has since released a US DVD.