Paprika

Discuss films.
gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 am

aimee wrote:I wonder if there will be any showings in LA? I'm such a huge fan of his films... I really want to see it on the big screen.
According to IMDB's showtimes, it's still showing in the Regency Academy Cinemas 1003 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA.

aimee

Post by aimee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 am

thanks gd!! I'll see if I can go this weekend.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 am

gau dog wrote:I just saw this. It was one of the most visually amazing movies I've ever seen but for some reason, I couldn't get that attached to the plot or the characters. Not enough emotional involvement for me. Figuring out who was the mastermind was a little predictable. Whenever they pulled the reality is actually fantasy trick, it was unsurprising cause I was expecting stuff like that. One of the love subplots was kind of out of left field. The ending was kind of ho hum. The most developed character was the cop. I like the film references like the Kurosawa impersonation. I want to see "Dreaming Kids".
yeah, that pretty much describes my experience with it spot on. Incredible visuals but not much else to remember it by.

Lestrade

Post by Lestrade » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:24 am

I completely forgot to post about this! I saw Paprika here in Toronto with my wife. It was one of the best films I've seen in a long, long time. I bought the soundtrack the next day; it is screwed up and all the better for it. (The composer is just a total cheeseball nutjob; perfect for this film.)

Satoshi Kon's films always seem to explore identity and the media, and Paprika is no different. It gets pretty wacky, and my wife, I think, was having a bit of a hard time following it near the end, but it all makes sense if you pay attention.

Visually the film is just off the hook; it's staggeringly beautiful and has a grace and movement to it that really impresses. I love all the traditional animation, and the use of computer-generated images was well-integrated.

Like all of Satoshi Kon's work, Paprika is thrilling and somewhat disturbing. But by the end of it (I won't say anything) there was a moment I found more inspiring than anything I've seen in the theatre this year, and it immediately sent me home to work on some new comic ideas. I'd highly recommend it.

P.S. I love the blatant self-references.
BenjaminRivers.com - Illustration | Comics | Joy