M. Night Shyamalan's next project-

Discuss films.
Nofret

M. Night Shyamalan's next project-

Post by Nofret » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:06 am

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795 ... id=13&cs=1

Okaaaayyyy. I must admit to loving the show. But I always wonder why oh why didn,t they decide to do it animated instead! Gad! Always live action. *sigh*
And I wonder if Shyamalan is the best choice to direct a film that has a lot of kung-fu style fights. Curious and doubtful at the same time.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm

I have my serious doubts about Night staying tagged to this thing. This will be the fourth project that has been based on someone elses material that he's been rumored with in the last five years and he's back out of three of them, and this one remains to be seen. I personally want him to keep to his own scripts.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:17 pm

I think Shyamalan's a fantastic choice. He's one of the best directors working today, and he has passion to spare. I think he pressured himself too much to write "brilliant" screenplays after the success of The Sixth Sense (and pushed himself in a bit of a hole with Lady in the Water), when it was evident his talent was really in entertaining the masses. This sounds like a great project to put him back on his feet. :)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Kazu wrote:I think Shyamalan's a fantastic choice. He's one of the best directors working today, and he has passion to spare. I think he pressured himself too much to write "brilliant" screenplays after the success of The Sixth Sense (and pushed himself in a bit of a hole with Lady in the Water), when it was evident his talent was really in entertaining the masses. This sounds like a great project to put him back on his feet. :)
So do you think that he is starting to feel that's his real niche is to entertain as opposed to try some of the more 'experimental' films he's being lately, like The Village and Lady In The Water? Because I feel like after having read The Man Who Heard Voices andhaving just been somewhat of an obsessed fan of his 8) that his heart seems to be trying to do both, entertain and be original, with the emphasis on original (meaning content more than subject matter). I was surprised when I read this article because rumors have been going on for awhile about what his next project would be and something like this hasn't been mentioned at all. Of all the projects he's been mentioned alongside of next to his original scripts (Indiana Jones 4, Life of Pi, Wuthering Heights, and the rumors are still out about a Harry Potter movie) I've kinda been disappointed that he was considering them. Something that makes him so refreshing to me is when I go see one of his movies there is no reference material. It's not another franchise movie or a sequel or a remake. So while I hope this movie is awesome, I'm just a tad bummed... :( But hey if someone offered me chance to do a Batman movie or something I'd probably jump all over it so I can't blame him if he likes the Avatar series and wants to take a stab at it.

Do you think Lady in the Water was an attempt on his part to be too original? I'm still not completely sold on that one yet. Unbreakable and the Village are the two that just knock me out.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:21 pm

I think that if he wants to make another Lady in the Water (which I really enjoyed, by the way) it would be wise to do it outside the big studio system so it doesn't hurt him so much. Nothing in that film warranted the purported 70 million dollar price tag, and he could have garnered the same emotional notes and overall feeling with a much smaller film. I do hope he continues experimenting, though. I've enjoyed all of his films to date.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:34 am

Have you seen Wide Awake? It was his first studio movie before Sixth Sense. It's pretty different, but I think its endearing.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:27 pm

The Avatar movie seems like an interesting decision, but I still haven't seen the cartoon. :( I actually think it fits with his pattern, though--he often wraps his serious stories about faith within conceptual subject matter usually considered to be silly or just kids' fare (a ghost story, a bedtime story, comic book superheroes, crop circles & UFO's). So, handling a very modern kids' adventure might be an interesting progression.

I want to see Praying With Anger (I've heard it's a bit unintentionally silly but I'm still very curious), though I have no idea where to look for it.

frak

Post by frak » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Kazu wrote:I think Shyamalan's a fantastic choice. He's one of the best directors working today, and he has passion to spare. I think he pressured himself too much to write "brilliant" screenplays after the success of The Sixth Sense (and pushed himself in a bit of a hole with Lady in the Water), when it was evident his talent was really in entertaining the masses. This sounds like a great project to put him back on his feet. :)
Word
Kazu wrote:I think that if he wants to make another Lady in the Water (which I really enjoyed, by the way) it would be wise to do it outside the big studio system so it doesn't hurt him so much. Nothing in that film warranted the purported 70 million dollar price tag, and he could have garnered the same emotional notes and overall feeling with a much smaller film. I do hope he continues experimenting, though. I've enjoyed all of his films to date.
And double WORD.
Lady in the water was a really good film, but not one for the masses as you said. I also felt the Village was really good but marketed horribly.
I am looking forward to his take on Avatar. I love that cartoon. It reminds me a lot of Disney’s Gargoyles. There is a lot of dept and history to the storyline, and the story telling it self is really good. Maybe its my love for Captain Planet and The Fifth Element, but I am excited about seeing this in "live action".
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:23 pm

I agree that I think Lady In The Water would have have been great on a smaller scale production. Then its more arty side would have not been so jarring. I guess that would be a good word for it. And I agree whole-heartedly that The Village and I believe Lady In The Water were both marketed terribly. If I have one thing I really dislike that NIght goes ahead with is how he markets his movies.

And... my problem I guess with this movie being his next project is that it seems like movies seem to be the only medium where copying something from another medium is the norm and original projects are out of the ordinary. I mean think about how many big movies coming out soon are just adaptations of books, tv shows, comics etc. Even the heralded Children of Men is a book adaptation (which I can't wait to see) . But when are movies going to grow up and be a medium that believes in the power of its art form over others? Sure I know that there are a ton of movies based on original scripts that come out all of the time. But how many of them get the push through marketing, budgeting, acceptance by the masses that other mediums get? And I want to say, I have no problem with adaptations, but what I do have a problem with is how much movies have so little faith in themselves as an original art form. Where are the new Indiana Joneses of our generation, or the Star Wars, or the E.T.s? So yes I am dissappointed in this being Night's next choice, because I know it will now be four years until the possiblity of an orginal project of his coming out. I don't know... I'm probably alone on this. I just don't get it... :?
Last edited by thirdeyeh on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:25 pm

neil wrote:I want to see Praying With Anger (I've heard it's a bit unintentionally silly but I'm still very curious), though I have no idea where to look for it.
I think the only place its available is some place in the UK. You can search for it online. But from what I know it's quite hard to track down.

frak

Post by frak » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 am

thirdeyeh wrote:If I have one thing I really dislike that NIght goes ahead with is how he markets his movies.
A good 90% of that is the studio.
That is why half of the time the trailors for movies are better than the film itself.
Frankie Franco III
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:10 pm

frak wrote:A good 90% of that is the studio.
That is why half of the time the trailors for movies are better than the film itself.
Agreed.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 pm

sigh...I wonder how much of this is Night having passion for the property and how much of this is him needing a hit.

I think Night struggled with far too much expectations on his follow-up to Sixth Sense and every film after that. The pressure to do the big twist ending every time for one. And i find that most directors when given too much freedom, tend to flounder a bit. It's good to be told no on occasion. It forces people to be creative and think around problems.

Hopefully this is the project that resurects his career and gets him on the right path, becuase it sucks to have talented people go to waste.

frak

Post by frak » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:00 pm

Mikie wrote: i find that most directors when given too much freedom, tend to flounder a bit. It's good to be told no on occasion. It forces people to be creative and think around problems.
I couldn't agree more.
::cough cough spielberg cough::
Frankie Franco III
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

chuckbb

Post by chuckbb » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:33 pm

I think if they come up with a good script, and keep him far away from it, then he could do a good job directing. but man... honestly if he makes another lady in the water... i'm taking his directing licence away. blarg.
http://www.CHUCKBB.com

Will trade art for Ulver LPs