Little Miss Sunshine

Discuss films.
winata

Little Miss Sunshine

Post by winata » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:52 am

Just saw Little Miss Sunshine and the movie is beautiful. Everybody who's involved in it gave some of their best performances. Steve Carell is finally appreciated as a great actor and not just as funny man (which he is anyway).

10 year old Abigail Breslin is just an amazing actress. Everybody in the film are just simply amazing. Beautiful writing, cinematography and direction too. heheh, i got nothing bad to say on this film - so far. My friend and I couldn't stop quoting the lines from the film.

Not that i wanna spoil everyone's enjoyment by hyping it up too much, but, heheh .. simply - watch it, and i'd really like to hear if anyone else love this film as much as i do.

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:13 am

i'd have to agree. this movie was brilliant.
just... so honest. and quirky at all the right times

up there as one of best of year.
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:28 pm

I came on here to comment about this movie, glad to see the topic started.

It reminded me a lot of "Me and You and Everyone We Know" in that it approaches comedy from a completely different direction. And honestly, the beginning was a little slow for me- I loved the opening sequence (and it's obvious that the directors had a background dominantly in music videos and commercials) but the development seemed slow.

Whatever qualms I had with the beginning, however, were relieved by the second half of the film, which had me crying with laughter and joy for a good solid 20 minutes.

I agree that the acting was superb and yes, was incredibly impressed by the little girl. She had a great maturity within her face- superb reactions, and a true understanding of authentic reaction/innocence.

One of my tops of this year, also.

Johnny Neat

Dope...

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 am

Little Miss Sunshine was a solid. Made me tear twice. I have to say this film holds its own because of how the family feels so true.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:05 am

heyitsgarrett wrote:
It reminded me a lot of "Me and You and Everyone We Know" in that it approaches comedy from a completely different direction.
I loved 'Little Miss Sunshine' but I can't stand 'Me and You and Everyone We Know'. My friend that I went with pointed out that this movie was going to be one of those indie-cliche type movies, but I left feeling that unlike MaYaEWK, it wasn't trying too hard to be different but rather to just be funny. It was very genuine. I laughed pretty hard and almost snorted a raisinet out of my nose if thats any indication of how hilarious it was.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:08 am

absolutely loved this film. it was great to see steve carell in a role were he wasn't annoyingly neurotic.

the music played a big part in my enjoyment as well. loved heariing sufjan.

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:10 pm

the music played a big part in my enjoyment as well. loved heariing sufjan.
I was actually going to mention that too- I've been waiting for his music to be sampled in a movie for awhile. I was just as excited to hear Sufjan in this film, actually, as I was when Life Aquatic used Sigur Ros in the climax of the film.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:45 am

heyitsgarrett wrote:
actually, as I was when Life Aquatic used Sigur Ros in the climax of the film.
you've got good taste, garrett. :)

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:22 pm

8) I try.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:15 am

After watching the film, I had some interesting debates about its merits with Amy. I liked it, but because I'm a fan of good technical filmmaking (and perhaps because I grew up as a middle-class kid in Orange County). Amy disliked it for its ungenuine purpose.

If, taken as a complete fantasy (despite the aesthetic of the film telling me otherwise), the film can be seen as a fun screwball comedy, and I enjoyed it as such, but the critical teacher side of me would have liked to have seen a more clear and concise thesis, with filmmakers more interested in following up on the smorgasborg of social commentary it involves itself with, rather than in how well it's all delivered. Instead, we get a pat "it's okay to be a loser" and "the family sticks together" message that's all delivered in consistently uneven fashion. That aside, I thought it was very entertaining, and if I were to disregard its misguided social commentary, then I think it's one of the best films made in a pretty sad year for films.

Johnny Neat

Long one, sorry!!!!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:46 am

I wouldn't go as far as you stated you two felt on this one, although I see your valid points clear as day. I just feel that this film showcased that being what people expect of you or what you think they expect of you is not what you should be striving for. You should be striving for your own happiness, for you. People should be allowed to make their own choices without feeling the need to only do what they can and still be accepted. Too many times people, even people who aren't accepted by the supposedly cool people, create standards and expectations for others to be accepted just to feel powerful, ahead or above. This films says, "Forget that, be yourself and accept what happens knowing they saw you for you and not you for them." So I'm sorry that I can't agree that it was saying, "It's okay to be a loser." Now, I will give anyone a pass who says this movie tries at times a bit too hard to be quirky. Now if I saw this film again who knows? I might feel it's a bit too much, like I sadly did on my second viewing of my subtly amazing first viewing of "Me and you and everyone we know". Anyhow since at tiny intervals I felt "Little Miss Sunshine" was trying a bit too hard (even if for a second), I was glad I was quickly put at ease by the well casted cast... but the feeling showed up like I said even if for a second here and there. But yeah, this film, correct me if I am wrong, proves that a good cast can save a basic script. But all in all it's a good film, especially considering movies this year, thus far, that I hoped would have been cool have been tanks or straight up insulting disappointments. So I don't know about you guys and gals, but I'm thanking the film gods for the fall film line up I see coming and in some lucky areas (LA/NY) has already started.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I just didn't like how the film criticized everyone other than the main characters in the process of proving this (otherwise agreeable) point. It's a whiny, self-serving, and shallow way to go about making such comments (and most likely for the goal of finding acceptance from a "cool" audience, which is hypocritical when considering their message). I don't believe this was the intention of the film, so I can dismiss it, but the directors' backgrounds as very successful commercial and music video directors are probably providing them with a handicap on a film like this. I'll just look forward to seeing what they do next, since it's evident that they are very good at not only directing the camera, but the actors as well.

Johnny Neat

True...

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:47 am

Good point Kazu. I feel they way you do about these directors as I do about Miranda July. I have to see what she does next to see what she is really about and if it was just some fluke.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:08 pm

Kazu wrote:I just didn't like how the film criticized everyone other than the main characters in the process of proving this (otherwise agreeable) point. It's a whiny, self-serving, and shallow way to go about making such comments (and most likely for the goal of finding acceptance from a "cool" audience, which is hypocritical when considering their message).
This is exactly why I can't enjoy "Lost in Translation." Anyhow, I think Little Miss Sunshine fares a little better by skewering its own main characters pretty well too (they act about as hypocritically as the society they're portrayed as living in). The only one who's completely innocent is the girl, who the other characters can't even remember to keep in the car at one point.

Anyhow, I agree it's one of the best movies of the year. Movies just don't take risks like this anymore, probably because of possibly offending or confusing people in this manner. It's an out-and-out satire, which surprised me.

And I didn't get an "It's okay to be a loser" theme at all. It's more like, sometimes when you think you're a loser, you're really not.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 am

And I didn't get an "It's okay to be a loser" theme at all. It's more like, sometimes when you think you're a loser, you're really not.
That is valid, but overlooked, way to look at it. I can see that. Plus I agree films, not movies, should take more risks then they do now but then you look at the market and a filmmaker trying to hold on or start out is tied down to pleasing the dumb masses. Sadly. Thinking is not in... but was it ever really in here on a massive social scale?