Cool Indy News...

Discuss films.
Johnny Neat

Cool Indy News...

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 am

Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV

The folks at Empire magazine have apparently gotten the mainstream movie scoop of the year. As part of their upcoming special "25 years of Indiana Jones" issue, they've been lucky enough to site down and speak to Harrison Ford, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg - all at once!

Getting one of the Indiana Jones triumvirate to talk about the fourth sequel is a rare opportunity, but getting George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford to spill at the same time is as infrequent as finding a needle in a haystack under some hen's teeth on a blue moony night at the end of a month of Sundays.

But Empire was lucky enough to speak with the trio as part of our massive Indiana Jones 25th anniversary celebrations and it seems that Indy IV is going to be a tad controversial.

“We’re basically going to do The Phantom Menace”, says Lucas (stay with him here, he’s making a point). “People’s expectations are way higher than you can deliver. You could just get killed for the whole thing…We would do it for fun and just take the hit with the critics and the fans...But nobody wants to get into it unless they are really happy with it”.

The ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t’ situation has freed up an idea for a plot that was originally deemed too incendiary.

“I discovered a McGuffin,” continues Lucas, still reluctant to name said McGuffin. “I told the guys about it and they were a little dubious about it, but it’s the best one we’ve ever found… Unfortunately, it was a little too ‘connected’ for the others. They were afraid of what the critics would think. They said, “Can’t we do it with a different McGuffin? Can’t we do this?” and I said “No”. So we pottered around with that for a couple of years. And then Harrison really wanted to do it and Steve said, “Okay”. I said, “We’ll have to go back to that original McGuffin and take out the offending parts of it and we’ll still use that area of the supernatural do deal with it”.

“Hopefully it will be different in all the right ways and the same in all the familiar ways,” adds Spielberg.

As for timing, Lucas says that filming is scheduled for mid-2007, for a 2008 release but getting the gang back together is a tricky proposition. “Before I was just working with Steven and Harrison. Now everybody’s a superstar, so it’s a little bit more difficult than it was then”, said Lucas. “But there’s a good chance it will happen,” assures Ford. “There are things left for this character to do”.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:06 am

Heh, I haven't heard the word 'Mcguffin' since my film class.

I just don't know on this one.

Johnny Neat

I'm...

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:02 am

I'm only worried about too much Lucas and no Nazis. Other then that, Indy is our Bond.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 am

Sixty five year old Indy. That's like Sean Connery doing Goldeneye in 1995.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:49 pm

If you've ever seen the Indiana TV show, you know that he's still puttering around at like 100 years old. I think it could work as long as they don't pretend Harrison Ford is any younger than he actually is.

...And if they keep George "Bombad Ge-ne-ral" Lucas on a very tight leash.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Johnny Neat

I...

Post by Johnny Neat » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:22 am

I think Ford can pull it off as an older Indy due to staying in shape as he has. The fact he has gotten older could bring another twist and page to the Indy myth.

As for Lucas please, a short short short leash is the best option. After the last Star Wars butchering I fear anything he touches and my hopes of the possible trilogy of the last three chapters of the Skywalker history.

roma

Post by roma » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:31 pm

Indiana Jones might be back? Wow, I grew up watching those movies like a million times. Ford might be alot older but I belive he can pull it off.
As for Lucas please, a short short short leash is the best option. After the last Star Wars butchering I fear anything he touches and my hopes of the possible trilogy of the last three chapters of the Skywalker history.
The last three movies weren't all that bad.

Johnny Neat

I...

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 am

They were nice to the sensory experience but the common senses were bashed to help. I mean as films they're were high class student films in all of the bad ways. Every good actor in it was reduced to crap. The only two people who managed to weld the force/dark side and escape Lucas' greedy paws were Ewan (Alec Guinness' clone) McGregor and Ian(The Emperor of Gusto) McDiarmid. Sorry homey, it is what it is. Give me the first Three or now last three and I'm good. I still have hopes for episodes 7-9 ending this world of Jedi's and Imperial battles.

Coheteboy

Re: I...

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Johnny Mercury wrote:They were nice to the sensory experience but the common senses were bashed to help. I mean as films they're were high class student films in all of the bad ways. Every good actor in it was reduced to crap. The only two people who managed to weld the force/dark side and escape Lucas' greedy paws were Ewan (Alec Guinness' clone) McGregor and Ian(The Emperor of Gusto) McDiarmid. Sorry homey, it is what it is. Give me the first Three or now last three and I'm good. I still have hopes for episodes 7-9 ending this world of Jedi's and Imperial battles.
Star Wars is pretty interesting in that the new generation who grew up on the prequels have a completely different opinion. They love the prequels and find the originals pretty boring. (not enough lightsabers i'm guessing).

But yah, the prequels definitely could have been a LOT better. Ep1 is actually pretty decent in my opinion. It had its bumps (jake lloyd, jar jar binks) but overall, it was pretty fun. It was a nice little introduction. Ep2 however... is a complete mess and it lead to a disappointing Ep3 (though entertaining).

Where am I getting at here... oh yes. George Lucas is pretty great at getting things started. But that's where he should step off. The reasons ep2 and ep3 suffer so much (mostly because of hayden's atrocious acting) is because instead of handing off the directing and screenwriting task to others, he tackled it all by himself and tried to complete a movie in three year deadline. That's writing the screenplay from scratch, directing all the designs for characters and locales, casting, filming, post production, etc.

Empire Strikes Back had another director and a screenwriters. Same with Return of the Jedi. That gave Lucas the freedom to develop the story aspect as well as the designs and special effects, but it also allowed others to make sure the acting is all decent. Something that Lucas isn't particularly great at.

So! getting back to Indiana Jones, I think it'll be fine if Spielberg's at the helm. I liked all three originals and Lucas was always the story/producer guy on those. It can't be that bad. Spielberg is a smart guy and he'll be able to say "no" to George on digital doubles if it comes down to it.

Now if only Ron Howard tackled Ep2 and Spielberg tackled Ep3 like Lucas originally wanted... we'd all love the star wars prequels a whole lot more.
My name is Dave.

Johnny Neat

Well...

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:33 am

I do not know... my godson who is 7 loves the original films and dislikes the new ones. He finds them boring. I guess we have raised him to appreciate a story and not get hooked on eye candy.

Howard and Spielberg should have taken the star wars' prequels for sure. I'd be happier now and not looking at those films like ugh.

Indy is lucky to have Steven watching over it. Ford knows dick, having him decide what is best and having to be in agreement with Steven and George is wacked. George should lay down a map and let Steven guide the crew through it. I'm mostly just sad that there might not be any Nazis for Indy to fight. I LOVE Indy vs. Nazis. I dislike The Temple of Doom, with a passion usually and exclusively reserved for films like Clerks 2, so I don't expect anything close to that. I want Nazis and Religious relics!!!!!!

p.s. I liked The Temple of Doom right up till the airplane emergency raft stopped at the bottom of the mountain. Then it was a ride through adventure hell. Till this day I cannot understand why HBO/Showtime and Cinemax would torture a kid like myself with repeat showings of that one. WHY!?!?!!? Anyhow here's to the new Indy adventure and videogame.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:26 am

I want to see Short Round in Indy 4. :wink:

Johnny Neat

LOL.

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:25 am

Good ol' Short Round. They would have to obviously get someone new (or would they?) and it would be dope. Like they say, "Like hardly seen father like mostly seen son."

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:16 am

No, as an adult is fine, if the movie takes place later. He could play a more mature Short Round. Have you seen the Goonies DVD?

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Oh cool! They should totally do some sort of Gonnies sequel or something, with the original cast making some sort of appearance (maybe it's their kids the next time around?) Goonies was absolutely the best movie ever when I was... what, 11 or something? I can't remember. Anyways, Star Wars was the only movie I watched more times. And I second (third?) the motion for the return of Short Round.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Johnny Neat

Cool....

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:50 am

Yeah I saw the dvd and it could work if they use him. Then again, that would be too logical. As for a Goonies sequal, I don't know. I wouldn't want the original to be tarnished and the odds are it would be raped... but it could be interesting if it was done with 80's flavor and as tight as Monster House.