The Dark Knight

Discuss films.
Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:09 pm

*SPOILER - I guess*

Not to mention that Harvey Two-Face looked just like he did in the cartoon as well (right down to that lip drag). : )

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:27 am

Harry Myland (IV) wrote: I don't know how they're going to top these two as villains.
Daniel Day-Lewis as Two Face?

Oh, I was thinking about this last night, but is it possible for the academy to give an Oscar to a dead guy for best actor if he was so great?
(Still haven't seen the film by the way, my friends can't seem to coordinate their schedules, but I'm seeing it tonight, come fire or ice.)
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:12 am

dark77778 wrote:
Harry Myland (IV) wrote: I don't know how they're going to top these two as villains.

Oh, I was thinking about this last night, but is it possible for the academy to give an Oscar to a dead guy for best actor if he was so great?
(Still haven't seen the film by the way, my friends can't seem to coordinate their schedules, but I'm seeing it tonight, come fire or ice.)

found this at everything2.com:

# Posthumous Acting Nominations and Award(s):

Jeanne Eagels - nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for The Letter (1928/29) posthumously
# James Dean - the only actor who was twice nominated (in two consecutive years) for a Best Actor Oscar after his death and lost, for East of Eden (1955), and Giant (1956)
# Spencer Tracy - nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) posthumously
# Peter Finch - was nominated for - and won the Best Actor Oscar for Network (1976) posthumously - Finch is the only performer to have won the Oscar after his death
# Ralph Richardson - nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984) posthumously
# Italian actor Massimo Troisi - nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for The Postman (Il Postino) (1995) posthumously
http://www.filmsite.org/bestactor.html

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:27 pm

Saw it. Enjoyed it a great deal. Probably the film's biggest flaw (arguably the only thing standing in its way of being a great movie as opposed to a very good one) was its final half hour not being able to sustain the wonderfully paced, coiled-spring tension of everything that came before it. Instead of a cathartic release that the film was building to, it just sort of sputtered its way to a conclusion -- like Kazu and a couple others have mentioned, I was expecting an almost elemental showdown between the Batman and Joker (a la the tunnel of love sequence in The Dark Knight Returns), but it never quite got there with Batman's reliance on his tech-y sonar thingie and the decision to keep Batman morally 'clean' in a film filled to the brim with morally ambiguous decisions.

Anyway, the point of me making this post: the Creative Screenwriting Magazine podcast has an interview with screenwriter Jonathan Nolan about The Dark Knight, and gets into the guts of the story elements and all the other fine nuts and bolts, which might be of interest to a few people on this board.

[adam]

Post by [adam] » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Kean wrote:Saw it. Enjoyed it a great deal. Probably the film's biggest flaw (arguably the only thing standing in its way of being a great movie as opposed to a very good one) was its final half hour not being able to sustain the wonderfully paced, coiled-spring tension of everything that came before it. Instead of a cathartic release that the film was building to, it just sort of sputtered its way to a conclusion -- like Kazu and a couple others have mentioned, I was expecting an almost elemental showdown between the Batman and Joker (a la the tunnel of love sequence in The Dark Knight Returns), but it never quite got there with Batman's reliance on his tech-y sonar thingie and the decision to keep Batman morally 'clean' in a film filled to the brim with morally ambiguous decisions.

Anyway, the point of me making this post: the Creative Screenwriting Magazine podcast has an interview with screenwriter Jonathan Nolan about The Dark Knight, and gets into the guts of the story elements and all the other fine nuts and bolts, which might be of interest to a few people on this board.
Oh, wonderful. I'll have to check that out.

That seems, if anything else, to be the hottest topic about the film - the last 30 minutes.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I understand that they wanted to "push the limits" of what is morally right and wrong with ALL the characters (Luscious quitting because he felt Bruce went too far, Alfred burning the letter thinking he's doing Bruce a favor, etc) but I agree, that I was expecting, after this HUGE, EPIC tale of Batman and Joker going toe-to-toe, mentally and physically, for 2 hours, that it would end very stalemate-esque. The 2 of them just ripping into each other in some dark alley way, VERY primal, where fight or flight kicks in - where a characters TRUE colors will show. Because Batman and The Joker are so much alike, that a situation like that would show the point that Batman would go right up to, but not cross, where as The Joker would run right past any and all reservations. It just didn't climax the way I'd been hoping. The "accidental" social commentary on the human condition was nice and all, but I didn't care about the people of Gotham - I cared about Batman and The Joker.

ANYWAY, still a wonderful movie, and I wish I had the chance to see it in IMAX.

ALSO, did anyone notice Ledger's tip-of-the-hat to Jack Nicholson when he said, "I'm a man of my word" during the hostage video in almost the exact same voice Jack used in the original Batman? Thought that was pretty classy.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:59 am

this is my favorite film of the year. even the small complaints i've heard don't affect my love of this film, and i think it all boils down to my absolute love of batman- and not just batman, but gotham city- and how perfectly nolan handled this world. every last bit of the dark knight felt like this is how batman is. this is how things should be done.

i think it's similar to how speed racer (my favorite movie of the year up until dark knight) really hit home to fans of the series- because the wachowski duo payed such special attention to what fans of that series really loved about the show. that's how i felt while i was watching the dark knight.

what i don't agree with is how i keep hearing how this is the best superhero movie or how nolan has taken the superhero mythology and reinterpreted the genre. i've never once in my life thought of batman as a superhero. batman is a crime fighter (yes- there's a difference)! and nolan made a wonderfully executed crime drama with gotham city as it's star. it's the batman/gordon/dent/ story i always wanted to see on screen and yet still managed to show me comparisons to those characters i hadn't even thought of before. as for the pacing- couldn't get enough of it. it started making my heart thump from beginning to end. zimmer and howard's relentless score couldn't have been more fitting. and yes- heath's joker? best joker ever (sorry hamill!).

also- make sure you see this on IMAX if you haven't. totally worth it. my fear of heights was all too present watching those souring shots on that giant crystal clear screen. i'm so glad i've seen my two favorite films of the year in this format so far. i wonder if i can still go catch kung fu panda again...

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:33 am

dark77778 wrote:
Had to have some guy in a comic store correct me on my ignorance and anti-spoilerism as to what people were saying when they were talking about "Harvey". Didn't even know Two-Face was in the film. :lol: Well that makes me look like a fool now don't it?

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm

dark77778 wrote:
dark77778 wrote:
Had to have some guy in a comic store correct me on my ignorance and anti-spoilerism as to what people were saying when they were talking about "Harvey". Didn't even know Two-Face was in the film. :lol: Well that makes me look like a fool now don't it?
I didn't want to say anything. You were going to figure it out sooner or later. :P
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Alex Deligiannis

Post by Alex Deligiannis » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:16 pm

mr cow wrote:my fear of heights was all too present watching those souring shots on that giant crystal clear screen.
Yup! I was feeling anxious during those scenes too!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Well, it's midnight and I've just got back from the film. Mere words cannot describe the rush of emotions I felt during this film. One of the main ones being that I think the Joker's last laugh was killing himself in the end, actor and all. I also loved how Joker got more and more psychotic as the movie progressed, because at the start of the movie I remember thinking "Oh man, I hope this movie gets darker than just 'oh, I'm gonna cut your mouth open!'" Umm...yeeah Social Experiment anyone? That was great.

Also, Two-Face could not have been done any better. I still have problems with Joker's hair, but screw it, it doesn't matter because this was the hardcore brutal joker, not the silly gag pulling falls lamely into acid one. Even the "magic trick" was brutal. I could probably write a death metal song or something just describing the actions of what happened in the film. Anyways, yeah, Two Face....wow, that just pulled me into what happened when I saw Racer X in Speed. I was convinced that they had pulled the character out of the cell and spliced him into reality with some magical cartoon-reality ray that I want to find if it exists. I mean, they had everything from the double sided coin, to the purple skin, to details on the bone...and did you see his eyeball! I mean, it faced in the exact same direction as his other one at the exact same times. It was crazy!

So yeah, this film blew me away and there are so many more things I could say about the film (the s'laughter' truck for example), but to be honest, I don't want to. I do not want to talk about this film anymore tonight because it was so good that I just want to lie here for a bit and think about it. There's something magical in this film and I want to remember what it is and keep it before I go to sleep. Good night everybody.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Kean: I've been listening to Jonathan Nolan's interview as well and it is fanatastic! It reall brings out so much more into the psychology of the film. It's a great podcast in general (it's the perfect morning booster for me when a new one comes out) but this episode in general has been a real treat. I have his interview about The Prestige that I need to listen to as well.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Mmm, The Prestige. Must've watched that film four times when I rented it.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:36 pm

thirdeyeh wrote:Kean: I've been listening to Jonathan Nolan's interview as well and it is fanatastic! It reall brings out so much more into the psychology of the film. It's a great podcast in general (it's the perfect morning booster for me when a new one comes out) but this episode in general has been a real treat. I have his interview about The Prestige that I need to listen to as well.
I always expected Jonathan Nolan to have a heavier British accent. :P
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

anthony

Post by anthony » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:07 pm

best use of pencil and nurse's outfit. ever. in 10 years, i think that pencil prop will cost $1,000,000,000 USD.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Saw it recently and yeah, it's good. I still like Tim Burton's first though. I'd put this under that. This is the more "realistic" portrayal. Though in terms of vigilante movies go, the believability still can't match something like Dirty Harry or Death Wish. I wish they would scratch up Batman's suit a little instead of making it flawlessly in mint condition. The end boat bomb scenario was so cheesy. Battle Royale did it better. I didn't totally understand every story point though. Ledger, Bale, Eckhart, Cain, were good. The action, direction was good too. But it's not the greatest thing ever.