"The Prestige" from Christopher "No Batman ye

Discuss films.
Johnny Neat

"The Prestige" from Christopher "No Batman ye

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 am

I love this teaser because this film looks AMAZING!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchston ... large.html

Even if the Batman sequel is on a long pause, this could hold us over if done right and what I think this will be like.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:16 pm

Oh man, that DOES look good. Holy crap... :shock:

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:01 pm

johnny, you're my new best friend. :D

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:27 am

That looks sweet!
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Johnny Neat

Well...

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:46 am

I'm gonna spoil it kinda by saying I hope Bale turns out to be the real deal... Just cuss I'd be so into that.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:23 am

It's looking very very good (and David Bowie plays Nicolas Tesla in it.....ooooh, Bowiiiiie).
I know the premise of the film interests me a lot, so that's a sure viewing in the cinema this autumn.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 am

Haha I know, I thought, WAS THAT DAVID BOWIE?? Also now I think I know where the magician's exclamation Presto! comes from.

Well, I don't have super high hopes or anything, but it's an interesting trailer.

Johnny Neat

Bowie!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:39 am

Nofret: It's looking very very good (and David Bowie plays Nicolas Tesla in it.....ooooh, Bowiiiiie).

Neil: Haha I know, I thought, WAS THAT DAVID BOWIE??
When I saw Bowie, who appears to have put on some weight considering how skinny he's always been, I was also shocked!!!!... but I was also giddy remembering how much I loved him in Labyrinth. I've waited for him to do something that could become such a memorable turn and in this he just might get it. I hope.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:52 am

Naaa, I think it's only going to be a bit part. If he's five minutes on the screen, it will be good.

I don't know if it's much weight he's put on, but certainly age.

Johnny Neat

Really?

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:29 am

Really? Cuss he looked good on his last album. He was Typical Bowie on it. Well beggers can't be choosers. "Dance Magic, Dance!"

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:50 pm

I JUST got back from seeing this movie and word's can not describe just how impressed I am right now.

This movie has redifined the art that is motion picture to me. I wont try to explain this movie to you, but I can garuntee you it was worth every day I waited for it, and you should all drop your plans and see it as soon as possible. It's very heavy, plays deeply with your emotions, and well,

WOAH

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:14 am

I'm chewing this one over and I feel really conflicted about it. Shortly after the credits rolled, I felt the film was good, but not great (though the production of it was fantastic). I felt the characters were cold, distant, and only momentarily relatable, but the construction of the film tells me that it knows I should feel this way, and used it against me in the very end. The film raises some great questions about the act of film-watching itself, much like Memento, the Nolan Brothers' other mindbending exercise. Is this a brilliant trick, or is it a clever disguise for weak character development? Will I enjoy the film more when watching it a second time, because its emotional context will be more clear to me after knowing how it ends? This moviegoing experience reminded me a lot of my first viewing of David Fincher's Seven. Despite enjoying it, I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't until I watched the film a second and third time that I really appreciated the mechanics of the sad little world that was created, and I have a feeling I'll look at this film the same way. All in all, I recommend it. As a piece of entertainment, I give it a solid "B", but as a self-reflexive exercise pushing to make us ask questions about the relationship and distinctions between the magic trick and the magic show, I give it a glowing "A" grade.

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:02 am

Saw it last night. I don't have any major complaints; it gripped me the whole way through, which is really rare with me and movies (even the best films have a few lulls). The two leads, while somewhat cold, felt very tangible. The theme of sacrifice was approached on enough levels to keep from appearing reduntant, and the nature of each man's obsession remained unique while at the same time mirroring the other (Christian Bale performed magic for his own satisfaction, while Hugh Jackman did it for the "looks on their faces"). This generates a subtle but dynamic dichotomy that helps explain how the two men's paths diverge and eventually meet again.

***Spoiler maybe***

From what I've read, the largest complaint most people have is the suspension of disbelief with the science fiction elements provided by Tesla (though for the record I had no problem with it). I think were this film nothing more than a series of one-ups and twists (more akin to a detective story, perhaps), then yes, breaking the "rules" of 19th century physics would definitely be a cheat. However, although this movie is saturated with twists, the point isn't to show the greatest magic trick, it's to help us understand the minds of the two magicians. I figured out the methods of both Bale's and Jackman's "transported man" less than two thirds into the film, but this did not in any way detract from the experience. For me the payoff wasn't so much how they do it, but why.

Maybe as a filmmaker and science-type I just really identify with magicians and physicists?

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:31 am

I thought this was a good flick, I was interested to the end and enjoyed watching what lengths these two characters would go to in order to satisfy their obsessions.

If I had any complaint, I guess it's that it appealed to my brain but not really my heart. I had no emotional reaction to what was happening, and the potential human drama the events in the story could've had were put to the side in favor of detailing events that drive the plot forward in a sort of distant manner. Thusly, while watching I didn't have much feeling, just a lot of relaxed ponderings. I think personally I have greater enthusiasm for films that make me really feel something and empathize with characters, even if they're totally cheesy.

However I'd recommend this movie to others, it's interesting. Plus, David Bowie's introduction is awesome. =)

Ainsley Fish

Post by Ainsley Fish » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:14 am

Did I hear David Bowie?! I'm gonna see it, even if I'll be sad because it's not batman.