Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep!!!!

Discuss films.
Johnny Neat

Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep!!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:43 am

Take a peek at the MIND of the brilliant Writer/Artist/Director Michel Gondry with this sneek peek at...

http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wip/us/ ... qt_700.mov

Opening September 15th
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:16 pm

pretty cool johnny! looks like something i'm definately going to have to take a look at!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:36 pm

ooo! thanks for that. i can't wait for that film!

Johnny Neat

For real!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm dying waiting for this! Gondry makes me so jealous :D I love his work beyong belief. Glad you guys like.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Awwww yeah! I can't watch the video at work but I aready know I can't wait to see it! 8)

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:58 am

This looks like it is going to be megasuperultra cute. Cannot wait.

Looks like, to me, like he's written his own version of Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind - his own love story. Which means we'll get twice the Gondry heart.
ImageImage

Johnny Neat

I totally...

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 am

I totally Agree. This is so Michel. His art, expression and personal feelings on himself and relationships are being displayed in Gondry vision. So in a way we are getting two Eternal Sunshines, but this one is more Gondry and less Kaufman. Not that more Kaufman is ever bad. I can't wait to find info for Kaufman and Jonze's new film. But until then this should rock. :shock:

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I wish there was a Charlie Kaufman script to this, but this still looks very interesting.

Did you guys hear about Michel Gondry's next film, "Be Kind Rewind"? It's going to star Jack Black. Here's the excerpt from imdb:

"Plot Outline: A man (Black) whose brain becomes magnetized unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films, which include Back to the Future, The Lion King, and Robocop."

Crazy!
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Johnny Neat

Word on the street...

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:15 pm

SonOfaRich that film sounds crazy. I heard a little about it way back but thought it was dropped. Glad to see it's gotten a green light after all... or should we hope?

Anyhow on a Kaufman/Jonze tip, it's been known that they have been working their next film project for about two years or so now and are (at that time, anyway supposedly) bored with it. But then again the same boredom occurred while Charlie wrote most of his other scripts so awesome.

In the September 05 issue of "BUST": Jonze confirmed this script was being worked on and Catherine Keener was helping out as a consultant (who knows about what?) with a maybe to star, but no confirmation on that part only the consulting.
"I am writing a scary movie right now but I have no interest in making a genre horror movie, so I keep trying to make sure that’s not what I am doing, so I keep trying to figure out what’s really scary, not what’s scary in movies because that is too easy, and it’s a real struggle, but it’s a struggle that I choose." (Source: http://www.futuremovies.co.uk/filmmaking.asp?ID=76)

I don't know what it will be. I think it's going to be creepy. I'm in the very early stages of figuring it out, so there's not a lot to say about it. It's a movie about the breakup of a relationship.

It's about everything that I write. It's about bad relationships. I probably have about 50 titles for it, so I won't give you any. (Source: http://www.beingcharliekaufman.com/arti ... ustalk.htm)

Also around March 2004 Charlie was interviewed and this was said:
"CK: I don't really want to speak about it except to say I'm not sure it's a horror project. I think it's going to be scary, but if people are expecting a horror genre thing, I think they'll be disappointed.
S.J.R.: Is it something you came up with the story on and are developing with Spike or is it something you came up with together and pitched like you did with Michel on Eternal Sunshine?
CK: No, it's something that Spike and I talked about in a very vague way and we were able to sell it in a very vague pitch because the studio was the studio we did Adaptation with and they wanted to do something else with us. I'm writing it in this way that I'm not even clear on what I'm doing. I'm just kind of compiling stuff right now. I don't even know what it's entirely going to be, which excites me, but it's scary, I guess." (Source: http://www.chud.com/news/mar04/mar7spot.php3)

And for anyone else interested, the project was announced in October 2003 and produced by Columbia who did Adaptation. Kaufman says he took 3 years to write Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And then they spent ages editing it. This doesn't take into account time for casting, shooting, marketing etc. So don't hold your breath for a release date any time soon. :cry:

Johnny Neat

Lovely...

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:52 am

A Lovely word of mouth is falling on this gem. Gondry magic is appreciated :!: :!:

maxdeth

Saw it today

Post by maxdeth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 am

I saw science today and I loved it. Its definitely Gondry through and through. I think its somewhat autobiographical. The drumming, the building crazy devices, the trouble with women. It has such a great vision of what life is like. The ending is very appropriate in my opinion, but not your usual hollywood style ending at all.

I highly recommend this movie if you like gondry's work.

Johnny Neat

I....

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 am

I have to agree right till the last literal 5 minutes. Gondry magic is in full effect but it went limp. I think we needed a Kaufman like band-aid.

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:00 pm

This was excellent! I got to see it in one of those little art-house theaters with couches, which, unfortunately, do not exist anywhere near my own town.

rey-o

Post by rey-o » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:23 pm

i liked the science of sleep well enough in its whimsy and strangeness although it lacked structure at times. something that kaufman arguably brings to their collaborations. although i'm sure you could argue the patchwork nature of the film was in service to the story...

still, i'm a massive fan of gondry and religiously go back to his 'directors label' music video dvd for inspiration.
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com