PIRATES 2! (dead mans chest)

Discuss films.
chuckbb

PIRATES 2! (dead mans chest)

Post by chuckbb » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:53 am

I don't really want to write a review, but I personally enjoyed the hell out of it . some friends didn't like it at all, but probably all the reasons they didnt' like it I LOVED IT.
http://www.CHUCKBB.com

Will trade art for Ulver LPs

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:41 pm

I went this afternoon, looking only for a fun adventure flick, and that's what it was. The story felt a bit thin in places, but it was still loads of fun. A bit too long, they could have edited a few bits here and there (my friend has this theory that studios make long films now, so people believe they get more bangs for their bucks...)
It also felt like a few gags were repeated (rolling rolling rolling again).

I had read almost no reviews or news about the film, so the ending came as a surprise.

And I just looooooove the character of Captain Jack Sparrow :D

Overall, I liked it. Fun adventure movie; leave your suspension of disbelief at the door and enjoy the ride.

Johnny Neat

Pirates thought & Pic preview... enjoy.

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 am

Typical to the first, it's a fun ride but without Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones (like Barbossa in the first)
it's a fast food ride best watched once or fast forwarded to the main course "Johnny Depp" moments.
Because if not for crazy & fun Jack Sparrow, Knightley and Bloom are dead on arrival with their pretty
faces and bad acting. Here's hoping chapter 3 closes plot holes in 2 and sadly now 1. I'd just wish the
director and company would realize that much like Back to the Future 2 & 3 and The Matrix 2 & 3, which
were closely released, one full year to end it all, for now, is not something desired and just painfully, if
not annoyingly, too much endure. Can Jack Sparrow take out Peter Parker next summer? Regardless of
Pirates' awesome weekend count, I'm betting on NO.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Now the real question is, did you guys sit through the end credits and see the bit afterwards? I was....I was speechless...

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:48 pm

Nooooo!
I didn't sit through the credit: the other person I was with was hungry and we had to leave quickly...I usually sit through the credit, and that one time, no.

Someone, PM me the extra bit 'cause I won't be able to wait until the DVD is out!

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 pm

Hehe, yeah I didn't know about it either until no one else got up at the end...and they must be the worlds longest credits too. Somebodies probably already PM'd you, but I've sent you another one just in case :D

van

Re: Pirates thought & Pic preview... enjoy.

Post by van » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Johnny Mercury wrote:but without Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones (like Barbossa in the first) it's a fast food ride best watched once or fast forwarded to the main course "Johnny Depp" moments. Because if not for crazy & fun Jack Sparrow, Knightley and Bloom are dead on arrival with their pretty faces and bad acting.
I have been trying since last Friday to figure out why there was something about this movie that spoiled it for me. You've hit it on the head. Well, spoiled is probably too harsh, as I don't necessarily have a problem with Bloom and Knightley as actors—but when you put them alongside the likes of Depp, the gap in their talents is so much clearer. Every time Depp wasn't on screen, I wanted him on screen. That's bad casting, to leave your viewer so unable to cope with the moments when the main character isn't on the screen. Each supporting actor should be able to do just that - support the movie and the main character, but they were just falling over without Depp.

On the bright side, at least Geoffrey Rush is back for the third instalment!

Oh and this is my first post. Hi :)

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:59 am

Finally saw it! And darnit, this is the second movie this year that i skip out on the credits because the friends I was with wanted to leave. I usually let them leave and i wait... but i got up. Know what the first movie i skipped on the credits? X3. figures.

This film is definitely more like a matrix sequel but definitely BETTER. (there's no massive underground cave orgy rave).

I love the first film because it was fun and wrapped everything up nicely. This one can't be like the first one unless they wrote it one movie at a time. But from the getgo, they wanted a cliffhanger so they gave it to us. It might be why this film is so long. There's probably a lot of stuff that we won't know is essential until we see the third.

I was wondering why we spent so much time in that bayou shack oracle lady... but there's a lot of clues there for anyone willing to look for them. Yup, it's Barbossa's feet lying where the monkey goes. And if you notice, Jack also picks up Barbossa's hat as he walks in the place and i think takes his ring from the table too.

Yes there are parts that are long but the more I think about it, the more I liked what was given to us. I may be reluctant to sit through it again unless i have absolutely nothing to do, but there are some GREAT scenes.

Question. Does Davy Jones and crew have the power of appearing on any ship in a snap? How did Davy Jones and crew appear on the Pearl so quickly when Jack was looking at them through the spyglass? And how did Bootstrap Bill just vanish or appear on the pearl? Do they have the ability to go wherever they want?

I talked to some people who didn't like the action.. specifically the 3man duel. The problem with a 3-man duel is that it's impossible for it to last that long without someone getting cut down. Obviously all three have to live for the story to work, but they fight for so long so everything else that needs to happen happens... it becomes unbelievable as a result.

CG for the most part is REALLY impressive though. The new technology to map the CG over the actual actors is soemthing I wish they do more of. Makes for a more believable performance.

Note: I need subtitles because I can't understand a word anyone says

Barbossa is back!! He's probably the reason why I liked Pirates 1 so much.

Most badly delivered reference joke: "Why is the rum ALWAYS gone?" Nobody laughed.

Lastly, why do they always cast the wormiest guys to play the guy we all hate? The East Indian Trading Company dude. He was in Pride and Prejudice I think and he was wormy in that one too.

Anyway.. I really liked it a lot. I can't wait to see the next.
My name is Dave.

Johnny Neat

Well...

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Does Davy Jones and crew have the power of appearing on any ship in a snap? How did Davy Jones and crew appear on the Pearl so quickly when Jack was looking at them through the spyglass? And how did Bootstrap Bill just vanish or appear on the pearl? Do they have the ability to go wherever they want?
Dave, I was under the impression that Davey Jones can appear at will around the oceans to any vessel or off shore of any land. Bootstrap was, if I remember, a messenger from Davey to Sparrow regarding Sparrow's debt to Davey. A debt I was wondering and hope PotC3 clears up...

I also must add for discussion that I think Jack could not find Davey's heart because he only loves two things and the compass was acting all screwy. One thing was the ship and the other could be his DAD (K. Richards). We shall see! Now why do we have to wait so long for the third installment? Is it effects or greed? Back to the Future, like the Matrix sequels, came to theatres 3-4 months later in the fall/winter. This wait sucks, I want it over... for now. :D

So what was shown at the end of the credits?!?!? I had the same issue with having to leave early due to peer pressures.
Last edited by Johnny Neat on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coheteboy

Re: Well...

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Johnny Mercury wrote:So what was shown at the end of the credits?!?!? I had the same issue with having to leave early due to peer pressures.

Nothing spectacular, but it was back to Cannibal island, but our prison key dog is now on the throne.

I guess that means he's gonna be eaten!!

But of course since 'black pearl's end credits showed us a re-cursed monkey that came back to haunt us, who knows, maybe the cannibals have a bigger piece of the picture than we were lead to believe.

Interesting theory on the Keith Richards. And somehow Chow Yun Fat will fit into all of this in the third. CHINESE PIRATES!

As for the wait, a lot of it is effects and they're not completely done shooting. They shot most of pricipal photography but they do several reshoots in August/September.
My name is Dave.

Johnny Neat

I see...

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:25 am

That's right, I heard that was the end of credits. Thanx.

Yeah, I just think that's all a weak marketing ploy. This film (part 3), I believe, could be finished by winter, but whatever. I just hope it ties it all together without holes.

Thanx again.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Coheteboy wrote: Interesting theory on the Keith Richards. And somehow Chow Yun Fat will fit into all of this in the third. CHINESE PIRATES!
I haven't seen any of the Pirates movies, but I want to see the third, if just for Chow Yun Fat :lol: .
I guess I'll watch TV for the others.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:29 pm

I saw it last night, and despite the muddled character motivations and some culturally insensitive parts, I had a really fun time. It was also a bit too long in parts, but the film never felt like it dragged. All players involved on the cast and crew work really hard to entertain here, and manage to keep the film from feeling pretentious (Superman Returns) or unintelligent (X-Men 3). It's just what the summer movie season needed. Anyway, I liked it a lot.

By the way, I watched the first Pirates of the Carribean a little while ago, and it isn't nearly as good as I remember it. What most audiences seem to focus on is the feeling they had when the movie was surprisingly good, not on how well it stands as a film with no preconceptions. The second one just continues the same level of competent storytelling and ups the ante on the lavish production values, but this time expectations are shifted completely to the other side of the spectrum. If you go into the film expecting a series of great action scenes with some corny soap opera storytelling thrown into the mix (a la Star Wars), then it's hard not to enjoy the show, and when it comes time to start questioning the motivations of the characters (who are morally ambiguous and often acting what would seem out of character) just remember that the film is about pirates, after all.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Coheteboy wrote:
Johnny Mercury wrote:So what was shown at the end of the credits?!?!? I had the same issue with having to leave early due to peer pressures.

Nothing spectacular, but it was back to Cannibal island, but our prison key dog is now on the throne.

I guess that means he's gonna be eaten!!
I thought the whole thing with the Natives giving up on Jack and running after the dog was pretty weak. I dunno, it was too much like "Oh, those wacky savages! They'll take whatever they can get!" I know it's silly to get caught up in the discrimination of a fictitious tribe of cannibals but it still felt....outdated?

Anyway, I liked the movie quite a bit. It was really fun. Maybe trying to be EPIC a little toooo hard, but whatever. It was totally fun.

Davey Jones was, of course, awesome. Oh, he was cool. His voice shocked me at first, because its a lot softer, and friendlier sounding than most of the charcters. The good guys even. He's a very tragic character, and I predict that he will end up being not so bad by the end......

I also like that they are making a big deal about bringing Jack back. In his final scene with the Kraken I couldn't help imagining him returning at a dramatic moment later and it being like "That's right folks! He's just that bad ass!" No. He's great, but....
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Johnny Neat

I agree...

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:18 am

I agreed with most, if not all, of what you said Kazu... but its one of those rare moments where you agree and just because of one minor detail point you're knocked off. Case in point, Star Wars having
corny soap opera storytelling...
I think Star Wars should not be easily compared with these films because of how great they were and still are. Now if you are referring to the last three messes LOL, then I step down from any disagreement, cuss other wise you hit it square on the head. Now can we get a "Pirates Ahoy!" for Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Bill Nighy having thus far saved these films from cheesy camp badness or bad over acting hell thus far?!