Nacho Libre

Discuss films.
Mike Laughead

Nacho Libre

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:49 am

I loved Nacho Libre. (I am kind of biased because the director Jared Hess is a Mormon, as am I...anyway.) Nacho Libre seemed like Wes Anderson doing slapstick comedy. It was interesting and awesome. I don't know if I can recommend this movie to everyone (not everyone likes Wes Anderson either), but I thought it was amazing. I also like supporting movies that are interesting without using nudity or extreme language (I wish Wes Anderson would leave these things out of his films.) Does anyone else think the Jared Hess directs like Wes Anderson?
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:43 am

Oh yeah. You can totally tell the influence that Wes Anderson had on Hess. I think it's awesome, because I'm a huge Anderson fan, and while you can see the influence, Hess still has a unique style. However, I could see some spots of the movie that looked like the studio may have stepped in and perhaps he didn't have quite as much freedom as in Napoleon Dynamite. Things like fart jokes and stuff, didn't seem quite as classy...

Still, I liked Nacho Libre quite a lot. It was a fun, and unique film, that's for sure. Jack Black was sufficiantly held back, ha ha. I like him a lot more, when he isn't so in your face. This and School of Rock have been some of my favorite movies of his...he makes good 'kids' movies, I guess...

I've heard rumblings about trouble with the score, between Beck and Danny Elfman. I'd be curious to know which songs were which, because I thought the music was a great addition to the film....

Wes Anderson is probably my favorite contemporary director (maybe even all time fave?), so Jared Hess's movies appeal to my sensibilities, I suppose. Stuff like nudity & language don't offend me personally, but I understand what you're saying.

Anyway, don't you think it's odd how Dynamite blew up in popularity? When I saw it I felt like I was watching a real odd gem, but soon enough posters and every kind of merchandise possible started popping up everywhere I looked, and everyone was quoting the movie!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:52 am

I saw Napoleon Dynamite at the Sundance Film festival before it was sold to Fox and MTV or whoever. (Yet another reason I have to favor Jared Hess). So my wife and our friends were qoting it way before anyone else knew about it. I had the same feeling about it that fans of punk and indie rock often feel about little knows bands that they love. Anyway it got really strange that the movie got huge. I figure that it was a combo of the unique comedy and the fact that the lack of any "bad" things in it made it something "cool" that parents would let their children see no matter what age. Anyway, it is kind of strange to see shirts at Hot Topic that say "Vote for Pedro" when we thought we were so unique to own a "Vote for Pedro" button that we begged some of the producers to give us. (Our button is actually signed by Efren Ramirez, the guy who played Pedro, so I guess it's still unique.) Yeah, the whole thing is a little odd.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 pm

I haven't laughed as hard as I did at the sneak-attack baptism scene for a long, long time.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:25 pm

I watched Nacho on monday night and i absolutely loved it. All the critics who loved Napoleon and panned this one can eat it. I liked this film way more than Napoleon (though I like N.D. a lot too). Nacho Libre at least had some sort of goal to follow. I just loved it.

Currently my favorite line is: "GET THAT CORN OUTTA MY FACE!"

I dunno why but i remember that line very well. And I also LOL'd real hard at the fart. It was just such a fake sounding cartoon fart that I couldn't help but laugh.
My name is Dave.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm

I kind of hated the farting, but I also laughed at it. So I'm a little divided on the subject.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Nacho's letter to the girl ("kiss kiss hug hug... little kiss...") and his song to her had me in tears.

Jared Hess is a wonderful person for making movies like this.

What's up with the soundtrack? Does it even exist? I really want it.

-Seth
Image Image

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Seth Wolfshorndl wrote:Nacho's letter to the girl ("kiss kiss hug hug... little kiss...") and his song to her had me in tears.

Jared Hess is a wonderful person for making movies like this.

What's up with the soundtrack? Does it even exist? I really want it.

-Seth

I did some research and "NO" it doesn't exist. Apparently Beck wrote a lot more songs for it before Danny Elfman stepped in and replaced a lot of it. Danny Elfman used to have his name all over the posters where it says "music by" but he had since requested that his credit be removed because a lot of Beck's songs remained in the film. Real admirable of Elfman but I wish a soundtrack can come out!

I was able to download the opening song somewhere but I don't remember where. Just google search Nacho Libre soundtrack and you'll be able to find queue names at least to start your quest.
My name is Dave.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Blargh, I don't like Napoleon Dynamite. (I'm sorry, I tried.) I think Wes Anderson is fantastic, and I saw the obvious influence, but it only annoyed me.

jiggytime

terrible

Post by jiggytime » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:33 pm

this movie didnt have the same magic napoleon did which only supports the claim that his success is a fluke. i guess you can say that for most of hollywood.