Me and you and everyone we know

Discuss films.
Rocky

Me and you and everyone we know

Post by Rocky » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:20 am

Just saw the film recently. Half of me thought 'wow this is a pretty decent movie' while the other half thought 'if this was any more indie hipster trendy art film I might vomit'.

ummmm

))><((

forever.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 pm

Well it was made by a performance artist (Miranda July).

I thought this film was good and clever. The innocence of the characters definitely outweigh some of the disturbing subject matter.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:02 pm

"Me and You" was actually one of my top films of last year. When you're watching it, some of the lines are so unbelievable that they just work together. My personal favorite:

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

I also developed an awful crush on Miranda July after watching the film too many times. It was pretty fun to watch the behind-the-scenes where she talks about how she had never done a movie before, or written a screenplay, or anything of that nature. It really makes the movie seem more like an art piece in itself.[/i]

Randy Dianogah

Post by Randy Dianogah » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:38 am

i saw this movie at a video store yesterday and it looked interesting, although i had suspicions of it being another pretentious indie film.
if this is anything like the pseudo intellectual i <3 huckabees, i don't want to be anywhere near it.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat May 20, 2006 11:51 am

Heh heh, I just watched this last night, and I have to say it's one of the most pleasant film experiences I've had in a while. I'm not sure what it was... for me, the characters just seemed so alive and like they had so much more life in them. It made it seem like the movie was too short - I wanted to spend more time with them (though I suppose everything gets wrapped up, and I loved the way everything came together). The only part that seemed "pretentious indie film" was the ending - I think I must have missed something, I don't think I "got" it.

Having been to a fine arts school, Miranda July's character had a good load of recognizability to it, and the part where she's trying to submit her tape was absolutely hilarious in a The Office sort of uncomfortable way.

All in all, I spent a lot of the time laughing through the movie (in a good way). I thought it was lovely, and I'd highly recommend it (paying for it, even).

Edit: I interpreted Miranda July's character as poking fun at performance artists, and that we as the audience weren't supposed to give her work much credit. I hope she didn't intend the opposite, that we were supposed to support it. Eek.