V for Vendetta

Discuss films.
Grasshopper

V for Vendetta

Post by Grasshopper » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:27 pm

I just found out they're making a movie out of V for Vendetta, I've alread seen advertisments for it on bus stops. I've never actually read it, so I bought it today so I can read it be for the movie comes out.
I wish I was better

inkfarm

Post by inkfarm » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:40 pm

one of my favorite comics. so naturally im a little uneasy about the movie but so far it looks like it could be good.

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:01 am

Just saw a TV ad for this. I'm sure it won't touch the depth and complexity of the comic version, but it might be pretty good. The Doppler-shifted BONG of Big Ben in the ad was pretty cool. (And I've always thought the sequence in the comic set to the "1812 Overture" would make fantastic film ...)
Brian
ImageImage

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 pm

I just found out that the Wachowskis wrote it. Could be interesting or it could be totally preposterous.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:20 pm

I saw a behind the scenes programme on it this morning. It looked pretty good from the clips they showed, but then i haven't read it yet so i don't know if they've murdered the story or not.

I think one of the local libraries has a copy of it so i'll make sure I read it before I see it.

P.S I'm hoping the watchmen movie NEVER gets made. I can't see how anyone can make a good film of it without completely tearing the story apart.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:10 pm

wendy w wrote:P.S I'm hoping the watchmen movie NEVER gets made. I can't see how anyone can make a good film of it without completely tearing the story apart.
Terry Gilliam was set to direct it once, but he would only do it as a 12 hour miniseries. THAT woulda been awesome. Watchmen could be done well, but it would be very, very difficult. And it would need to be set in the 80's. Movie adaptations of Alan Moore so far do not speak well of Watchmen's chances, but my fingers are still crossed.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:26 am

SonOfaRich wrote:I just found out that the Wachowskis wrote it. Could be interesting or it could be totally preposterous.
I thought it was a litttle of both...well, a lot interesting, and a couple preposterous touches. They must have had someone looking over their shoulders during production to make sure it didn't turn into the last movie the Wachowskis got free reign over. Overall very cool, I thought. I wasn't expecting it to be that good; the Wachowski involvement made me dubious. But it was very entertaining; cool story, cool characters, well acted. There were plenty of shots that must have been straight from the comic book that worked very well.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:30 pm

First of all let me state that in cases where the movie is based of a specific story (V for Vendetta), as opposed to a character/concept (Spiderman), I prefer that they are completely faithful to the source.

The movie was so different from the comic, that I wouldn't compare the plot, which has been rearranged. As for the feel of the movie, I think they trimmed out a lot of plot points that they should of left in, creating plot holes that I can be filled only if you've read the comic. Also, this is just my personal observation, they seemed to have alter the feel of the story in an attempt to dull some of the more sensitive aspects. Since the movie does have terrorist acts I can understand why they changed it, but I feel it lost some of it's punch. V feels like his character has been dulled, and Evie lost both here strengths and her weaknesses.

It had some cool moments, and the ending was "interesting". I think it would have been better as a mini-series. Basically: PLEASE READ THE BOOK FIRST, IT"S WAY BETTER.

*warning this post may contain irrational ranting, the auther apologizes in advance
I wish I was better

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:31 pm

man, its too bad I can't see this movie...well...because I hate Natalie Portman's guts.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:43 am

I was a little disappointed by this movie's complete lack of subtext. The point of symbolism is not to explain it for the audience! For example, when they show Evey being "born" in the rain, and then cut to V emerging from the fire, and then they show us this same cut 2 more times in the movie! And there are a lot of similar odd choices... To me it was like the trumped-up Bollywood version of the book.

I did like Hugo Weaving and Stephen Rea though... And how cool is it that V has Cat Power on his juke box?! (Like my friend Derek was saying, I thought he was going to remove his mask to reveal an emo boy or something.)

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:55 am

My opinion may be coloured by the fact that I read the book in its entirety less than 24 hours before watching the movie. But all in all, I thought it was pretty good. Yes, they rearranged some major plot elements (or all the major plot elements), and I would have preferred an ending much closer to the book, but the movie left me with almost the same impression afterwards as the book. Which is no small feat for such a difficult story.

The movie kept in some very key scenes that I was sure they would take out. I'm glad they kept them in. On the other hand, there were a couple of important things that were downplayed too much- like the full story behind those concentration camps. The full extent of the surveilance society was also left out- but since the comic was written Britain now has just as many cameras as the comic predicts. That's not science fiction anymore, it's everyday life. Not all of the subtext made it into the movie. But anything written by Alan Moore has so much subtext in it that I don't know if it's possible to keep it all in.
neil wrote:To me it was like the trumped-up Bollywood version of the book.
But the comic had so far to fall that it still landed in a place where it was more complex and challenging than most other movies. I'm pretty sure that any movie that poses Guy Fawkes as a hero for trying to blow up parliament and has English voters electing a fascist regime that executes anyone who owns a Quran will not be seen as a soft movie in this country. There were a lot of things in the movie that reminded me of recent events.

But yeah, the book is still better.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:25 am

Still haven't read the book. It seems i'm not the only person who decided to get it out the library. Strange that. Personally I thought the movie was great but I still want to read it to see how well it was done.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:26 am

How's this for relevance of current events?

Could someone please tell me a country that's NOT moving steadily to the right, so I can move there quick?
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

hanzo

Post by hanzo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:38 pm

finally made it to see it... I'm usually very skeptic of movies based on comics... I think I know just a few (too few) where they made a good job...
This one... maybe because I was prepared for the worst somehow did not completely digust me... I even liked it somehow... to me it works pretty good! But bevore I start saying things that have been sayd enough already I'd like to pose a question... why is Allan Moore never mentioned in any of the films based on his books? Did you notice that the credits of V mention David Lloyd but not Alan Moore... did I miss something?
BOLZANO COMICS FESTIVAL 2009

less is more... but not enough is not enough
my website: weblog.papernoise.net

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 pm

"The film has been disowned by Alan Moore, who also removed his name from the movie versions of his graphic novels From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but then any sane person would have been unhappy with the Gentlemen. His complaint was not so much with the films as with the deal involving the use of his work. I have not read the original work, do not know what has been changed or gone missing, but found an audacious confusion of ideas in "V for Vendetta" and enjoyed their manic disorganization. To attempt a parable about terrorism and totalitarianism that would be relevant and readable might be impossible, could be dangerous and would probably not be box office."

-Roger Ebert