Top Ten Movies (Never Made)

Discuss films.
jdalton

Top Ten Movies (Never Made)

Post by jdalton » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:35 am

So I tried to come up with a list of ten great movies for Gau Dog's thread, but I couldn't come up with one that didn't sound really dumb and cheezy. Instead, here's what I've got-

What movies should someone really, really make that no one has yet? Or hasn't done well? Most of these will probably be adaptations of books or whatever, unless someone's got a brilliant idea for an unpublished screenplay they'd like to share. I've got one to start with.

Cortez and Moctezuma. I'm a sucker for historical stuff anyways, but can you think of a more epic story than this? The collision of two mutually hostile civilizations! Two complex and historically well-documented lead characters who are the main catalysts in the plot! Epic battles! Locations (Tenochtitlan) as fascinating as anything in LOTR! Plus the whole story is a microcosm of the entire European conquest of the Americas, taking place within the span of a few years. There's even a lead female character- the Mayan guide (who's name I've forgotten) that acts as Cortez's translator. If I knew anything about making movies (I don't), this would be on the top of my list of things to do.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:57 pm

I'd like to see a new The Flash movie. The old one sucks eggs.

Uhm... whaddelse?

Ooh, a musical version of Les Miserables would be awesome.

OH! Me and my best mate (we're both aspiring filmmakers) have always had the dream of making a live-action ZELDA movie. Think about it, how awesome would it be if done properly?
--Joe.

Clank

Post by Clank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:04 pm

Zelda movie!!

A good one.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:38 pm

Clank wrote:Zelda movie!!

A good one.
as much of a Zelda nerd I am and want to agree with you, I just don't think that's possible. : /

Reno

Post by Reno » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:44 pm

a self contained animated story about the animals on noahs ark would be cool, its like a situational comedy; the pandas trying to get along with the lions, the bears and the otters, maybe a love triangle developes . . . or one of the dinosaurs eats a unicorn, and the last remaining unicorn slowly reduces to a shell of emotional trumoil as he faces not only his own mortality, but the end of his race entirely.

?

but yeah, zelda's already got the music going for it. itd need a trilogy to be told properly, but after LOTR, i think theyd be using those flicks a template, not giving hyrule the fresh start it deserves.

id really like to see another, non-disney, stab at an atlantis movie.
"i wanna rock right now, my name is dave and I came to get down."

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:34 pm

I tried to think of movie adaptions, and all I could come up with were movies that'd be dumb and cheezy :lol: BUT probably would be fun to watch. There's lots of movie ideas to be made from video games and TV shows.
Lemme think...

A-Team the Movie (They need a good Hannibal replacement tho)
Calvin and Hobbes (Trad Animated)
Monkey Island, the Movie (Trad Animated, based on Ron Gilbert's series)
Godzilla VS Gamera
Gummi Bears the Movie (Trad Animated)
Grim Fandango the Movie (CGI Animated)
Quest for Glory the Movie (Live Action)
Space Quest the Movie (Live Action)
Super Mario Bros. the Movie (CGI Animated, they gotta do it again! And do it right.)
Star Control II the Movie (Live Action)
Tetris the Movie :lol:

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:51 am

I don't agree with a Calvin & Hobbes movie.

I've always thought it would be cool to see a Monkey Island animated TV series, in the style of Monkey Island 3. That would be awesome. Wasn't there a Sam & Max animated series at one point? Or was I just dreaming?
--Joe.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:27 am

http://imdb.com/title/tt0125646/

Indeed, sir, you were not. I think it was on Fox, though, which might explain it's short-lived-ness. That, and it wasn't Power Rangers. O_o

Aw, man, thinking of that makes me wish Earthworm Jim and Freakazoid were on DVD.

Aaanyways, ditto to no Calvin and Hobbes, but also ditto to a Grim Fandango movie!

and Mario's been EVERYTHING else, I'm surprised they haven't tried it again yet. Where's the Mario anime? *shudder*

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:38 am

What's wrong with a Calvin and Hobbes movie? In the hands of anyone other than Bill Watterson, of course it'd be terrible but if Bill wrote, directed, even drew, why not?

I never did like the way they made Guybrush look after Monkey Island 2. He's too much of a skinny wuss. His look in Monkey Island 2 was perfect. I wish Lucasfilm Animation would consider doing anything from their LucasArts adventure games.

Kricfalusi should make a Ren and Stimpy movie. :lol:

I've read movie rumors that the Rock's going to play King Kamehameha of the Hawaiian islands, I'd want to see that made.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:31 am

gau dog wrote:I've read movie rumors that the Rock's going to play King Kamehameha of the Hawaiian islands, I'd want to see that made.
Ugh. The Rock? Can't they get anyone else to do it? Someone who won't ruin a very good movie idea, for example?

Grim Fandango and Gummi Bears should definitely be remade into something. I love them both.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:34 pm

I think a Calvin and Hobbes animation would be so cool if it were done correctly! How come you disagree, Mr. Shig (haha) ?

A Ren and Stimpy movie would NOT be cool, though. When I was little it was so gross that it almost made me barf! The humor of the show is really annoying, too, I think.

Tetris movie = 8)

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:43 pm

The 'Seven Suns Saga' by Kevin J Anderson would make an excellent series of Sci-fi flicks...though he'll have to finish writing the books first! I think we're on number four now.

The 'Otherland' series by Tad williams would also make a fantastic trilogy.

Robota. I'd really like to see them do something with this, rather that just teasing us with the odd trailer. I thought something was going on with this for a while, but it's all gone quiet.

oooooh.... Blacksad...I would LOVE to see an animated Blacksad film :)

jdalton wrote:Grim Fandango and Gummi Bears should definitely be remade into something. I love them both.
Yeah Grim Fandango and Monkey Island would be awesome. Hehe, I remember Gummy Bears, used to watch that every sunday morning....... how about Dog Tanian: The Movie :P

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Clank wrote:I think a Calvin and Hobbes animation would be so cool if it were done correctly! How come you disagree, Mr. Shig (haha) ?

A Ren and Stimpy movie would NOT be cool, though. When I was little it was so gross that it almost made me barf! The humor of the show is really annoying, too, I think.

Tetris movie = 8)
meh, Watterson said himself that he would probably never do it, just because he couldn't imagine Calvin OR hobbes with voice actors and all that. Plus, animating it would have the public absolutely and unforgivingly cry out for merchandise, which he exhausted himself trying to prevent while doing the comic to begin with.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:07 pm

Yeah, I guess I didn't really take into consideration of the logistics and politics of "what if" movies, nor how well they'd turn out if someone made them. I just try to imagine the best if it were made.

Biography movies would be interesting too. I'd want to see Walt Disney, Hayao Miyazaki, Charles Schultz bio pics even though I know it'd be tough finding the right actors.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:36 am

Clank wrote:I think a Calvin and Hobbes animation would be so cool if it were done correctly! How come you disagree, Mr. Shig (haha) ?
I just think the integrity of Calvin & Hobbes and Watterson himself are far too great to sully with an animated movie. Calvin & Hobbes were born as a comic strip, and died as a comic strip, and have never (officially) appeared in any other medium. The only way I could see it being done (and be good) is with Watterson in total control, and that would require him wanting to make a movie in the first place. And judging by his adverse feelings towards merchandising in the sparse amount of interviews he's given, I'd say it's very unlikely.

So I guess I agree with you when you say it would be cool if done correctly, but it'd have to be very correctly.

:)
--Joe.