Superman

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:21 pm

I liked hte film too. It's good but not great. I probably like it more than Batman Begins but BB is definitely the superior film of the two.

I really wish they kept the kid out of this one though. It works in the context of the film but now they have to figure out a way to deal with it in the next films.

...or be really lame and ignore it all together.
My name is Dave.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:34 pm

heyitsgarrett wrote:Although I don't really understand the purpose of getting Kal Penn (Kumar of "Harold and Kumar...") for the film, seeing as how his role was essentially to set evil things up for Luthor and then grin like an idiot. I don't think he actually had a line during the entire flick.
I finally saw the movie last night as well, and I was thinking exactly the same thing every time he showed up on screen! I looooooove Kumar. :D

The movie itself felt like a total homage to the early Superman films. I felt like I was basically watching a remake of the early films, and it didn't seem to offer too much that was new & interesting to me (except for maybe the falling plane sequence). It was really pretty and nostalgic, though.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:45 pm

I liked how it paid homage to the original films and in a way continues off of that series. It was pure nostalgia for me to see Superman on the big screen again.

The problems I had with the film: *SPOILERS*
1) Kate Bosworth - She was a very "dry" Lois Lane. Same look and emotion throughout the whole film. Hotter than Margot Kidder, but a strange choice to play Lois Lane.
2) I also was not ready for a Superman's kid storyline. It just seems like unnecessary drama for the man of steel. But a cute kid though.
3) Another poor casting choice was Kumar (Kal Penn) as a villain. The least threatening bad guy ever. And yes, he didn't have a single line in the film, but neither did those other henchmen except Parker Posey.
4) I don't understand Lex Luther's plan still. Did he really not expect the nations of the world to not do anything about it? Who wants to live on icey stalagmites?
5) And what's up with Cyclops (James Marsden) getting in-between two people that love each other again?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:26 am

SonOfaRich wrote:I liked how it paid homage to the original films and in a way continues off of that series. It was pure nostalgia for me to see Superman on the big screen again.

The problems I had with the film: *SPOILERS*
1) Kate Bosworth - She was a very "dry" Lois Lane. Same look and emotion throughout the whole film. Hotter than Margot Kidder, but a strange choice to play Lois Lane.
2) I also was not ready for a Superman's kid storyline. It just seems like unnecessary drama for the man of steel. But a cute kid though.
3) Another poor casting choice was Kumar (Kal Penn) as a villain. The least threatening bad guy ever. And yes, he didn't have a single line in the film, but neither did those other henchmen except Parker Posey.
4) I don't understand Lex Luther's plan still. Did he really not expect the nations of the world to not do anything about it? Who wants to live on icey stalagmites?
5) And what's up with Cyclops (James Marsden) getting in-between two people that love each other again?

Interesting points and I'd like to add a few cents...

1. I really liked Kate Bosworth (she hot) but I do agree that she was really cold to Clark. True she was kinda like that in Superman1&2 but she at least looked at the guy. This Lois is always walking ahead of him, not being even a good "friend" so much.

2. Agreed about the kid plot. It worked in the film, but now the sequels have to deal with it or be really really lame and ignore it completely. It's almost a lose-lose situation.

3. Kumar was a bit out of place only when they're beating Superman up. I gotta say... that scene was really tough to stomach through for me. I mean.. what do these guys have against superman anyway? I'm actually glad Kal Penn didn't have any lines. If he opened his mouth I'd probably laugh... just out of habit.

4. Lex's plan was probably my least favorite aspect of the film. It was too similar to his plot in Superman1 but less threatening. In the first film, he had two missiles, one heading to New Jersey, the other to California. That was gonna be an immediate impact. His new island off the coast of Metropolis was gonna EVENTUALLY hurt everyone. But I don't see why the military can target his island from miles away and blow him to smithereens.

5. Haha
My name is Dave.

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Not to mention icy stalactites aren't exactly "prime real estate". I don't see where Lex was really going with that one..

I think my problem with this new Superman movie is actually very similar to my dissapointment with the new Pirates (albeit both were incredibly satisfying in the sheer Summer flick department..). Both seemed to lack a consistent plot, in the sense that they dance around a storyline, but each movie is more about the journey of its characters rather than an overall cinematic goal.

Basically, I'm trying to say that I kept waiting for both "Superman" and "Pirates" to get to the point, which I don't think was ever reached.

Bottom line, yes, Kate Bosworth is hot.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:41 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk& ... 20superman

Kevin Smith talking about Superman. Pretty hilarious. I like his interviews better than his films.[/url]
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm

SPOILERS BELOW, READ AT YOUR PERIL

Good but not super.

GOOD:
Spectacular action; inspiring, feel-like-a-kid-again stuff.
Acting i thought was solid all-around. I normally want to punch kid characters in the face and the boy elicited no such emotion. Great staging in tons of scenes -- Singer understands the importance of iconic imagery.
BAD:
Basically, i thought this movie was one spike (the shuttle scene) followed by one single enormous rising action and the climax. That's it. No intermediate crises/scenes to keep our attention. Of course, it would have been alright if that single arc was engaging, but --

The Plan. It sucked. It was on too grand a scale, even for a comic book movie' it seemed to offer little immediate benefit to Luthor (why doesn't he hold nations for ransom instead of forming Luthor Real Estate Corp?), and it wasn't a personal enough revenge on Superman. (see: Superman II) I also wanted to see more character development of Superman and Luthor. Spider-Man and Batman Begins raised the bar for character in superhero movies and now I'm greedy.

Overall, 7/10.

Johnny Neat

ARGH!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:14 am

I want to go on a rant about all the issues I had with this film... and maybe I will, oh I will, but for now all I want to say is this was not what I expected from Singer. He's not a hack ala Ratner, so I expected a bit more inspiration from such a competent director... especially after all the talk about following Donner's footsteps and acknowledging Reeves & Kidder's acting and their beautiful onscreen sexual tension and chemistry. It's too bad that today's special effects can't reproduce on screen chemistry but to be a bit fair, chemistry wasn't all that killed this film from being what it should have been. Superman may no longer, from this films ridiculous take, be afraid or be truly threatened by Kryptonite but it was beaten down by Jack Sparrow and the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 posse. Let's see Pirates 3 take out Spidey 3. I'm betting on Spidey 3.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:38 pm

ha ha!! that kevin smith video was great. i agree, his interviews are better then his films.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Stupid fanboy nitpickyness:

The plan would have worked eventually. As with volcanic islands, an ecosystem would eventually develop on Lex's new continent starting with lichen and working its way up. But How long would this take? Longer than Lex's trademark impatience would seen to allow! Plus, why does Superman throw the island into space afterwards? Isn't removing a huge chunk of stuff from the ocean floor likely to adversely effect sea levels?

Nevermind. I think this is probably as good as a Superman movie is likely to get.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image