Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:51 pm

Vince wrote:Image
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

"Your soul is mine!"
--Joe.

joe.annabi

Post by joe.annabi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:50 pm

Los Fokos wrote:House I & II gotta loove it :D but I thought part I was way better.
I don't think I've ever seen House I actually. All this House talk just inspired me to get order both movies. I find it hard to believe that House I will best House II though. I love the whimsy and randomness of that movie so much. I'll let you know.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it earlier, Weird Science is not only totally rad, it's got that cool Oingo Boingo theme song. This one I haven't seen in years though, so I have no idea how it stands the test of time / maturation.

joe

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:14 pm

This weekend I saw two theater-featured films: The Fog and Doom. I've gotta say, both of them were pretty bad movies. But neither of them were awesomely bad. They were both just... awful bad. (Though I did kind of like the antagonists in Fog. It's not often you see 200-year-old ghost lepers attack children with their malevolent farts.)

~IJ

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:55 pm

I haven't seen house 1 yet.
They have the box set of house 1 - 4 at my local video shop.
Very tempted.

Army of Darkness bad?
What!?
I mean...
:shock:
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

snarfu

Post by snarfu » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:40 am

Got to add something here too.

Batman Begins. Actually not that bad as movie, but this thing about the super microwave thing drives me crazy.

The supervillain is really launching a huge microwave weapon right at the city and the only thing that blows up are the waterpipes ? And why the hell does the supervillain plot this plan at all, when he allready has the right weapon to kill the whole city in a matter of seconds.

But ok, thats just my thing about reality in movies. Either they use some absolutely bogus technical super weapon, noone ever heard about, or they stick to conventional warfare and at that moment imho they have to think about reality abit.

Ok on to some really bad but hillarious good movie.

Braindead

That thing is simply one of the greatest movies i have ever had the pleasure to see. Along with Army of Darkness.

jawa

Post by jawa » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:38 pm

Braindead/Dead Alive is hilarious, but its no Army of Darkness. Does anyone know why it has two different titles? I would think Braindead was the working title or something, but it doesn't look like it.

Vince

Post by Vince » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 am

The great thing about Batman Begins is how little I wound up caring about the traditional superhero elements -- the supervillain plan and the fighting. The fighting generally sucked, and in a post-Matrix age, that's just negligent.

Yeah, the microwave thing got me too. I think the idea is that microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate, heat, and evaporate, so zapping the main water pipe would cause instant evaporation of all the water. Realistically, such a weapon would probably kill most of the populace by having the populace be scalded by boiling steam, but whatever. :roll:

(If you want to be artsy-fartsy about it, you could say that Ra's Al Ghul did not want to merely kill people; he wanted the city to destroy itself. The release of the toxic gas would be a magnum opus of his cynical contempt for humanity; the subsequent reduction of the city to a barbaric state acts as the ultimate justification for that same attitude. In his mind, it's what makes him profound rather than merely homicidal.)
Last edited by Vince on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:06 am

jawa wrote:Does anyone know why it has two different titles? I would think Braindead was the working title or something, but it doesn't look like it.
From what I've heard, Braindead is the original title that's used outside of the U.S. Apperantly, the distributor in America asked to have the title changed because there was an American movie of the same name.

Also, Dead Alive is a few minutes shorter than Braindead. Having only seen the American version, I really can't say what I've missed. :?
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

snarfu

Post by snarfu » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Ok to name really bad bad movies too ? :oops:

Just saw Halloween:Resurrection ... well THAT was some serious trash. Kinda a mixture of Blairwitch and some teeny horror thing.

And while we are at black rappers playing in movies.

Mean Guns, high trash factor, but fun to watch. Never seen such a great combination of stupid killing of masses while some cuban or south american style soundtrack is happily playing in the background. Defenitely one of Christopher Lamberts better roles :twisted:

@Vince: Well, realistically those people in the way of the microwave would be burned from the inside. Actually they would be cooked, but thats kinda the same outcome. They would be dead. And yes, a microweav raises the vibration of water molecules. The more they vibrate the more energy the give to the surrounding. The problem here is, that humans consist of a really high amount of water molecules, thus they would be boiled alife. But anyway. I dont mind if the supervillain gets some superweapon to kill countless amounts of people. But if they use some current technology then they have to stick to some realism. If they say, its some Super-Mega-Pliplaplo-Generator, which happens to change water inside pieplines into vapor, then thats ok for. But mixin realism with fantasy is something i really dislike :wink:

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:33 am

snarfu wrote: If they say, its some Super-Mega-Pliplaplo-Generator, which happens to change water inside pieplines into vapor, then thats ok for. But mixin realism with fantasy is something i really dislike
But then you're into Star Trek territory where every week it seems they need to invent a new imaginary particle to deus-ex-machina themselves out of a tough situation. Chronotons are an impossibility (it would be like saying you need a sub-atomic particle for "forwards"), so why should we believe in anti-chronotons?

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

snarfu

Post by snarfu » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:13 am

Its not about "why should we believe". Its about "i could believe". I dont know much about the Chronotons or the way Star Trek is explaining them, but if they explain it with some strange new physical laws, which are bent through some other whatever it is. Then i am fine with it. I can imagine some strange device, that could have such an output.

But if they say straight away, hey we use this microwave generator to turn water inside pipes into vapor, them i am out of it. There is no room for imagination, there is just plain physics twisted at the will of some script writer. And thats my point. If they have some weapon, which does something very specific, then call if the SuperDingsda, but dont call it after some real world device.

But anyway, thats just one of my stupid pet peeves :)

Nontheless, Batman begins wasnt a bad movie at all.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:37 pm

Just watched parts of this on Spike TV. Fairly entertaining. *Spoiler* Especially seeing Santa getting shot down by a mob of people and finally getting blown up by a bazooka. :D
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:31 pm

snarfu wrote:But if they say straight away, hey we use this microwave generator to turn water inside pipes into vapor, them i am out of it. There is no room for imagination, there is just plain physics twisted at the will of some script writer. And thats my point. If they have some weapon, which does something very specific, then call if the SuperDingsda, but dont call it after some real world device.
Is this the beginning of an actual forum debate? Yeeeeeeeeehaw!

I saw Batman Begins last night, and I don't think that we can totally condemn the filmmakers for trying to ground their ridiculous superweapon in reality. What I got was that they were trying to rework the Batman franchise into a more realistic and human-oriented story (a la the Spider-man franchise's facelift), and they simply wanted to say that, hey, this could happen. People expect realism from their movies nowadays, and that's what the scriptwriters gave them. Sort of. Not really. But close enough to pass.

In the end, Batman Begins had an interesting concept that just didn't play out. Though I did like those three-tiered monorail trains. I wish all public transportation was as whimsically designed as that.

~IJ

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:48 pm

I can ignore the problems with the device in batman begins but what about the joker card at the end and the death of his parents? They've contradicted the first batman movie now.

The batmobile was cool though.
I just hope we get to see scarecrow as a proper villan now that he's lost the plot. :twisted:
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

wendy w wrote:They've contradicted the first batman movie now
From what I've heard, the Batman Begins filmmakers are pretending that the old Batman movies never existed.
--Joe.