corpse bride

Discuss films.
kamikazestyle

corpse bride

Post by kamikazestyle » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:03 pm

i went and saw corpse bride last night. it was good, but nowhere as good as nightmare before xmas. they had awesome character designs, but the characters themselves werent up to the ones prior. they just felt like one big group, as in nightmare they all had their own personalities and you could tell them apart. you really cant do that here until the end. the songs just werent as good either. i dont want to compare them, but how can you not...tim burton, clay mation, danny elfman...

in the end, the animation and character design were great, but i wish the characters themselves and the songs could have been better

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 pm

I hate to be a negative person but I saw it last week and found myself bored and wondering when it was over.

My problem with Burton films is all the great style and good looking character's but lack of storytelling to make it really interesting. for 78 minutes it was too long. Dont get me wrong it was a visual treat but thats about it.

Also I think I've had enough Danny Elfman to last me a lifetime. My buddy guessed it was him before his credit came up...maybe it was an easy guess because Burton and Elfman are joined at the hip like a pair of siamese twins.

I think the price of admission now days is too high for this movie.
Chad Townsend

spriteboy

Post by spriteboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:30 pm

I havent seem but its just I feel now that if you say oh tim burtons directing something everyone will flock to see just becuase its tim burton.

Like if there was a movie...Man Takes Poo for Next Hour and a Half I wouldnt see it...But if it was like Tim Burtons Man Takes Poo for Next Hour and a Half I think some people would be like "Oh TIM BURTON!" Lets go...

Now I know that example is kinda over exagerated but thats what I feel happens with tim burton these days.

So im kinda anti tim burton.

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:21 pm

You're anti-Tim Burton because he has a really good reputation / fan base?
I find that a weird attitude to have. Admittidly I heard about this film (which I still haven't seen) because it was Burton and I do want to see it for that reason but also because it sounds interesting.
Anyway, I have no opinion on wether or not the film's any good until I see it, but my point is just because someone is popular enough to pull an audience for a bad film if they wanted it doesn't mean that they are going to release a bad film.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Emma

Post by Emma » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:44 pm

Yeah... it's weird, because back when Beetlejuice and Nightmare were released, they weren't screamingly popular, and that was BECAUSE they were Tim Burton films. It seems like suddenly, since Big Fish, there's a lot of animosity towards Burton like suddenly he's a lame knockoff of the style that he created.

I'm going to go see Corpse Bride 'cause I'm an animation geek, and if it sucks it's still got to be better than what Disney and Dreamworks have been churning out, right? God, I hope so.

spriteboy

Post by spriteboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:01 pm

Its not that im am anti-tim burton...I really like his movies (more his earlier work) but now its just that I think hes caught onto this idea of him being so popular that no matter what he directs people will see because its a tim burton film. So I think when in his earlier days when he was trying to gain peoples respect he tried much harder to create his own style...While now I feel since he has this huge fan base he doesnt try as hard to create a movie with the magice a grace that he used to have.

kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:59 pm

im a huge burton fan, but at least i can admit planet of the apes was a pile of shit.

this movie didnt suck, i just think nightmare was better...and even then thats a lot to live up to.

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:37 am

Sometimes I have the idea that there arent very good movies anymore...
The same happends with games, all crap this year, even worse then movies!

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:14 pm

kamikazestyle wrote:im a huge burton fan, but at least i can admit planet of the apes was a pile of shit.
That film was one gigantic pile of donkey doo doo.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Alex Deligiannis

Post by Alex Deligiannis » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:22 pm

ASIFA is having a screening and I'm on my way to see it right now... hope I'm not disappointed... :?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:09 pm

Hmm, just saw this film. I give it a solid B. I think that the people working on this film are really talented, especially the screenwriters. I just feel that the basic concept and themes weren't working all that well. The morals and themes being expressed seemed slightly confused, and the songs seemed like filler material, but the actual mechanics of the story, the acting, and the animation were all in top form. Kind of like they took a corpse of an idea, and breathed life into it. Heheh. :)

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:53 pm

Kazu, I think you're being a too kind. I agree with your reasons for downgrading it, but I'd downgrade it even more. I sat that waiting for the movie to end from five minutes in. The story was too short and needed more character development, which was a shame because the premise has lots of potential. The few songs they stuck in the film were drab, same ol', same ol' musical foofoo with lots of wordplay.. And, last but not least, some of the character designs were just downright abrasive to have to watch. Save your money. You might be tempted by the "cool looking trailer" and "neat animation," but it's a trap. If you're desperate, go rewatch James and the Giant Peach from a few years ago.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Dek

Post by Dek » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:55 pm

I saw it last night - I'm going to agree with most of the negative people here. I'm sure puppeteers, and stop-motion animators would love it; they've definately expanded in that area. The character designs and fluidity of the motions are excellent - as are the water, smoke and fire effects. Very nice there.

Yet, as a movie...it lacked. Clocking in at an hour and fifteen minutes, I predicted doom from the start - it was short. As a rule, I don't like most short movies, that are still billed as feature-length films. This movie, just seemed like a pilot for a future TV series, in short. I found that I didn't really care all that much about Victor's problem, and Victoria I barely got to know. The Corpse Bride I ended up sympathising with; yet in the end she really didn't get her just reward, with the exception of...well...those who've seen it know. I won't spoil it.

Of course, Danny Elfman was brilliant in the songs that he did, but it was slightly toned down; the skeleton jazz song was awesome, but that was the main feature that stood out. Nothing that really showed off Danny's style, like in Nightmare or Beetlejuice.

The best way to describe it, via my sister, was that it was watered-down Tim Burton; it was the Pepsi One of Tim Burton, made to appeal to the masses, with none of the usual drawbacks that usually come with Pepsi/Tim Burton (sugar/creativity). I was kind of anticipating the ending, sadly.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:23 am

When I saw that this was coming out, I wasn't so excited because of Tim Burton...but because of the fact that it's stop motion! With this and the Wallace and Grommit movie, it's a good year for stop motion animation!

Anyway I saw it. I liked it. Whatever. I was impressed with how different it felt from Nightmare Before Christmas. That's the most obvious thing to compare it to, but really, it's a lot closer to Beetlejuice than anything else...why is it that Tim Burton's idea of Hell is all pink and green neon? Ha ha :P

But yeah, it had issues. The songs defintely weren't very memorable, and perhaps things get wrapped up too easily with the Bride. But whatever, I still enjoyed it. Now I want to rewatch Nightmare and Beetlejuice though, because those two are awesome!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:42 am

The animation in this film was incredible! :D