Sin City

Discuss films.
kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:45 am

i think one of the main reasons i didnt like it was because i didnt feel any kind of emotion in the film whatsoever. i know its supposed to be about the action and graphic feel to it, but the characters just felt stale.

jen

Post by jen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:17 pm

WillisDrummond wrote: You mean, besides slaughter Michael Duncan Clark's character and all his cronies?
Under the direction of Dwight they did. ;)

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 pm

I really really got into it after the first ten minutes of getting acclimated to the comic-book dialogue (the main actors pulled it off, like Bruce Willis, Benicio del Toro, and Mickey Rourke) and the extended monologues, which ended up working perfectly. It's been said, but I'll say it again: it looked so cool. I haven't read the comics, but some of the shots must have come directly from the comic book, and worked so well it was close to breathtaking. A totally black/white profile of Hartigan unloading into the creep who became Yellow Bastard comes to mind.
The other thing that struck me was the intense, graphic, ridiculous level of violence. Three times the penis was directly attacked in this movie, twice shot from point blank, once RIPPED OFF (holy shit!) And then, the bludgeonings, stabbings, shootings, beatings, electrocutings, bleeding writhing sobbing seemed over the top, even for a movie whose central ethos is way far over the top, about an entire city who is too far over the top to even think about a redeeming quality. Except looking awesome.
I can see how that kind of shocking visceral violence would work great in a comic book, but at some points I had to cringe watching it onscreen.

Whatever, altogether it was easily the best comic book movie that I have seen, ever. I've been a Robert Rodriguez fan since El Mariachi and Desperado, and through OUaTiM (shudder) and Spy Kids (come on) and it's great to see something this creative and different and good come from him.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:45 pm

Yuikio wrote:Three times the penis was directly attacked in this movie, twice shot from point blank, once RIPPED OFF (holy shit!)
My girlfriend and I counted four. I think it was kicked or punched at one point. Now, if I do watch it again, I'm planning on keeping track on whenever penises are referenced. That's a ton more times. It could turn into quite the drinking game :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:14 pm

I haven't seen this yet, but i'm dying to.

But this link just came my way and for another graphic novel turning into a movie...

Watchmen
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:18 pm

i was inspired to see the movie after hearing this interview with Frank Miller on KCRW.

i was pretty excited by Frank Miller's excitement. the actual movie... i think i liked, but it's very disconcerting how violent and nihilistic movies are... i thought some of the acting was great, especially Rourke - Clive Owen's acting was werid... probably b/c he was trying to supress his accent.

i'd hate to live in Sin City. it seems like such a life of crawling through sludge, never being able to die.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 pm

i thought the white blood looked like bird poo (although i understand that that's what it looked like in the comics) and Elijah Wood with the turniquet scares the hell outta me.

i like how Frank Miller talks about how the cast and crew referred to the comics as the storyboard.

Uncle

Post by Uncle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:51 am

I'm going to call this one a disappointment...
I liked the Yellow Bastard portion of the film, but most everything else seemed to fall flat to me. It seemed as if none of the characters were much different than one another---2 characters in the whole film really felt inspired and unique: (the guy who was trying to beat a confession out of Hartican while he was in prison gave the best performance in the whole picture)

I would say this was a total dissapointment if not for the Yellow Bastard.

It makes me wonder what Tarantino did and where---because I felt some style shifts within the film-- and portions of That Yellow Bastard were so smooth and dripping with tension that it felt like a better director had stepped in and got these actors to emote.

Lastly--- Comics beat the snot out of movies any day... we just need more comics to even the ratio of good vs. bad.
new comics 5 days a week
www.unclecomics.com

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:47 am

I thought this film is too cool for school. :)

This is by far Robert Rodriuguez's best film and I think it has a lot to do with having a good story and storyboard to work with from the beginning.

- Anyone else think Yellow Bastard looked like the Ferengi from ST:DS9?
- Mickey Rourke acted his ass off in this film. Possible come back?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:02 pm

SonOfaRich wrote: - Anyone else think Yellow Bastard looked like the Ferengi from ST:DS9?
You're absolutely right. I was trying to figure out why he looked strangely familiar. The bald head, off-color skin, and massive protruding ears, and his creepy smug smile. Ugh.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 am

Uncle wrote:It makes me wonder what Tarantino did and where---because I felt some style shifts within the film-- and portions of That Yellow Bastard were so smooth and dripping with tension that it felt like a better director had stepped in and got these actors to emote.
My understanding is that Tarantino filled in on only one day of shooting, and that was the scene between the recently deceased Jackie-boy and Dwight in the car as they're driving to the tar pits.

Monk

Post by Monk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 am

I'll say this: if you want to test the integrity of your relationship with a significant other (guys), take her to see Sin City without her knowing much about it :P I feel like having my hand squeezed so tightly for two hours enhanced the experience for me :shock: I consider it a testament to the movie's immersive qualities that my girlfriend and I both imagined everyone in the parking lot packing all kinds of heat...

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:28 am

Kean wrote:
Uncle wrote:It makes me wonder what Tarantino did and where---because I felt some style shifts within the film-- and portions of That Yellow Bastard were so smooth and dripping with tension that it felt like a better director had stepped in and got these actors to emote.
My understanding is that Tarantino filled in on only one day of shooting, and that was the scene between the recently deceased Jackie-boy and Dwight in the car as they're driving to the tar pits.
Ah, that was one of my favorite parts. Benicio Del Toro cracks me up. Perhaps, though, I just can't shake my perception of him as Dr. Gonzo... :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Donal

Post by Donal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:27 pm

I really hated that it was cut up to be "one cehesive movie" - It wasn't. It was confusing that way, and I also don't understand why some scenes in "The Hard Goodbye" were cut, since I thought they were in the comic because they were character building scenes. Marv climbing the wall, or visiting his mom to get his guns, I thought showed his psychotic determination.

You know, like Miller would've cut them if they didn't work.
D.
The Myopic Malcontent.
Deviant Art Site.
Crawl before you walk.
http://www.sketchcrawl.com

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Rodriguez has said that they shot the books in their entirety, then later cut some scenes for running time and pacing issues. Though for the DVD, he wants to have an option where you can watch each individual story uncut.

A link to an article on IGN where Rodriguez discusses this.

Though, as fun as the movie is, I think I'd rather just read the original comics.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/