Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:44 am

I think Jet's capable of playing the monkey king. For a moment, he was loud mouthed and egotistical in Fearless wasn't he? I also think the movie "Fong Sai Yuk" showed he can play a fun, comedic, and mischievious character.

Recently I rented Barefoot Gen 1&2 and I can't help comparing it to Grave of the Fireflies. GOF had better art, animation, and story was better written as a complete movie. However, I cared more about the characters in Barefoot. The tone was kind of offbeat, mixing some really funny comedy with drama, wrenching imagry, and gratuitous baby feeding on boob shots. People were so kind to one another in Barefoot and as a result, I felt Barefoot had alot more heart than in GOF. GOF was an instance of innocent people caught up and choked in a bad situation. Seita and Setsuko are victims. Barefoot had the same thing but their inconquerable spirit rose above it. Gen's a victim and a hero. It made me think about how fortunate I am and made me want to be more kind to people. That's the highest complement I can give to a movie.

maxoid

Post by maxoid » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 am

Anyone else seen Volver? I went to see it on a whim tonight at the arthouse theater down the street, and to my surprised it was a near-sellout crowd, even at the end of it's second (and last) week!

Dang but this is great storytelling. Great characters, great situations, lovely colors, and a graceful ending. I don't know much about Almodóvar, but now I'm curious as heck to see what else the man has made.

Highly recommended!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:30 am

I do want to check out Volver. Pedro Almodovar's All About My Mother was one of my favorite films of that year. I recommend checking out his entire roster of films.

Man, I'm getting really spoiled by all the great films I'm seeing these days. I just watched Pan's Labyrinth and The Host. These are both excellent politically-charged monster movies. Didn't think I'd see too many of these, especially in one year! Both are highly recommended. I'm about to see the phenomenal Children of Men again and then it's Letters From Iwo Jima and playing catch-up by watching The Departed. I'm also looking forward to seeing The Pursuit of Happyness with my family.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:40 pm

recently picked up and watched 'last hero in china' and 'kung fu colt master'. being a huge jet li fan i have to say his older period films are where it's at.
last hero in china continues with li as the character wong fei hung with more comedy than the ouatic series. He ends up opening up the po chi lam next to a brothel by mistake, and all his students are sneaking over while he's out.
kung fu colt master is an instant classic, 'nuff said. although you'll be dissapointed to know they never maid a sequel. the first tends to end at a crucial point leaving you needing more.

both were fun movies, but i don't think i'd reccomend either of them to anyone who takes movies too seriously. i.e: jet li learns kung fu through an old master stuck in a giant boulder when he attacks him with vines and shoots electricity through li. so for all you people who know jet li of danny the dog and kiss of the dragon would may be dissapointed due to the extemely different types of characters he plays.
Last edited by lifelibertyland on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:46 pm

jdalton wrote: Jet Li is so completely the wrong person to play the Monkey King. Sure he's an excellent martial artist, but the guy can only play one character- and that character is not the irreverent egomaniacal loud-mouthed Sun Wukong.
I agree his acting isn't the greatest, he tends to fall into the category of cold and serious in a lot of his characters. but if you're going to a jet li film for it's acting you should be asking youself, "what the hell am i doing here?!"

should be interisting too see how it comes out. I like JC, but thier styles of movies are so different i wonder how they'll work togather.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:10 pm

lifelibertyland wrote:I agree his acting isn't the greatest, he tends to fall into the category of cold and serious in a lot of his characters. but if you're going to a jet li film for it's acting you should be asking youself, "what the hell am i doing here?!"
Ha-ha-ha! To be fair though, I haven't seen either Fearless or Fong Sai Yuk.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 pm

fong sai yuk one and two are really funny, you'll probably only be able to find them in the US as the legend and the legend two unless you go find a bootleg or order them online. I really hate how much the movies are butchered when they come to the US, anyway i just thought i'd throw the american titles which might help you find them if you're looking.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Jet Li seems to be making a slow come back because of his return to period martial arts films such as HERO and FEARLESS. Before these films, he was becoming the next Van Damme. If he quits making these Chinese films, I think he'll be Van Damning himself again.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 pm

i dunno if he's making a comeback, hero is pretty old(2002). And if his more recent period films are a comback they're much to different than the older period films to compare, movies like hero and fearless fall into the high production epic category with a lot of wow effects and something is lost when you compare that with earlier lower budget movies that have drama, comedy, action and a little everything else. I personally perfer the latter.

He's really got two seperate fan bases and it shows in the different movies he makes. a lot of the action movies are geared more towards american audiences, maybe because he didn't think the chinese period films would be as understood in america.
As an example I hate how when tarrentino bought the rights to hero the movie poster had his name in huge letters but anyone who actually directed or acted in the movie wasn't even on it or very small on the bottom with the rating. I like tarrentino's films but that kind of bugged me

van damme movies are so bad, but i always get sucked into them when they're on tv. I don't wanna go into the racial steryotyping because they're too ridiculious and it's just mind numming entertainment.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:40 am

Three out of the last four movies Jet has starred in have been pretty good in my opinion. Hero, Danny the Dog, Fearless were all good movies.
In Danny the Dog, though he may not win an oscar, I felt Jet actually did some decent character acting. I hope he can keep his streak going. The old Hong Kong 80's and 90's style movies are becoming less frequent overall in that industry. Jet's asian movies are following a newer millenium style, slicker, less nonsense, higher budget movies. Korean movies are slicker, New Police Story, the Myth was slicker, even Stephen Chow movies have gotten CGI reliant and elaborate. Stephen can no longer make 4-5 movies a year like in the 90's.

I'd love seeing Jet play his happy go lucky character again in his movies. He's often said that in real life he's really a happy go lucky guy. Jet Li and Jackie Chan deserve more credit as actors than people give them. Van Damme is just bad in action and acting and he's always been. Look at Tony Jaa, though he's proven himself in the action department, he still has yet to prove his acting chops.

And speaking of typcasting, I want to see Chow Yun Fat do romantic comedies again! Enough with the serious roles already, he's almost like a Chinese Tom Hanks, capable of dramas and comedies.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:22 am

Don't get me wrong gaudog, I thought they were good movies too and own both hero and fearless. I agree the old hk style is phasing out for higher production big movies and you can't blame any actor for following the trend especially if they want to maintain a career in films. Although I feel that often times, not just in jet li's films but a lot of modern cinema a decent story/acting is traded for big budget cgi and costumes etc. I would also like to see jet play some of his older characters, that's one of the things i miss the most. The way a lot of jet and jackie's movies that are released in the US are geared towards american audiences who only expect action. I think if the US was exposed to more of jet and jackies older films they would gain more recognition for their acting. but it will be a while before it won't be unusual for asian or asian american actors to star in a role on the big screen in the US.

i was just thinking about police story and how awesome that was, i love the part when jackie steps in a cow pie and starts dancing to get it off and the hiphop music comes on. Also if you ever saw the movie badboys 1 or 2 i forget which one they totally rip off the opening scene driving through the shanty town, lame. i think this movie was recently remasted and re-released

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm all about Jackie Chan. Maybe it helps that I have actually seen some of his pre-Hollywood movies. He deserves all the credit you can give him.

While I like the new big-budget Chinese epics that are being released in the West (CTHD, Hero, House of Flying Daggers), it's a really interesting genre and I'm glad to have that kind of storytelling so widely available, it does seem like at the moment gongfu epics are the only genre being imported from China with any enthusiasm. Which seriously limits the potential roles for big-budget Chinese actors.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:57 pm

It's a double edged sword. Jet and Jackie are typecasted in their roles cause that's what they do best, it's what they're most famous for, and it's what most people want to see. But I think their coming over to America has helped their visibility, including interest and acessibility of their older movies. I don't think Stephen Chow would be shown or as known in America today if his last two movies didn't involve "Shaolin" and "Kung Fu". I'm not as in tune with what Asian audiences prefer, but I think they expect the same thing though they probably are more open to different roles.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Hey guys, you ought to start a new thread on this discussion. It's starting to get way off topic.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 pm

So... recently, I rented Calamari Wrestler and it's pretty much what you'd expect from an underdog... squid wrestling movie. It was whacked out. The romantic subplot was very ehh... humanizing for the squid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aadu5ctkieM
Last edited by gau dog on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.