Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:28 am

Just watched A History of Violence. Strong performances by everyone and offbeat direction by David Cronenberg working on top of a no-nonsense meat and potatoes script really makes this thriller work. I especially loved Ed Harris and William Hurt in the mobster roles. Some parts of the film reminded me of both Pulp Fiction and Eyes Wide Shut in tone and feel, and what's beautiful about it is that it's apparent that this wasn't intentional. It's easy to see why so many critics called it one of the best films of the year in 2005. Definitely one of Cronenberg's strongest films. It now has me wanting to watch Spider and rewatch The Fly.

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:12 am

A History of Violence has one of the best opening "shots" I've seen in a long time. The tracking, pauses and eerie silence set the tone for a great film.

Ed Harris is one of the most underappreciated actors of the last decade.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:33 am

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree about History of Violence. Perhaps it was technically well put together, but the movie was incredibly slow. I never was able to get into it. The overdrawn, graphic sex scenes where totally unneccesary and the three times we actually get to see any action are about three to five minutes long each.

The movie does a HORRIBLE job explaining itself. It goes into almost no detail about why he was in the mob in the first place, or much of anything for that matter, and then the movie just ends.

This was a really bad adaptation of a great graphic novel.

Johnny Neat

I have...

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:01 am

I have to slightly agree here, the film's ending was over the top stupid. The past being vague is okay as ling as the future (ending) is clear and logical. I mean he has split personality disorder and this is supposedly to be set in reality. So if he's just a crazy ass mobster and not a freak'n super spy or some super hero this ending creates a huge "What the FUKC?!" experience. Logic was dropped at what I felt was a crucial point of the tale. I'm gonna have to rely on Adaptation's Robert Mckee here by quoting his statement of "I'll tell you a secret. The last act makes the film. Wow them in the end, and you've got a hit. You can have flaws, problems, but wow them in the end, and you've got a hit. Find an ending, but don't cheat, and don't you dare bring in a deus ex machina. Your characters must change, and the change must come from them. Do that, and you'll be fine". Now the mystery is, "Does A History of Violence break this rule?" I like the film but it is flawed. It had some beautiful things about it, but flawed nonetheless even if it is one of spotty Cronenberg's best.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead man's Chest with my parents and there were only two other people in the theatre. So for a portion of the movie, I watched while lying down across the seats.

Johnny Neat

Half Nelson

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:49 am

I recently watched Half Nelson, with the always amazing Ryan Gosling and the believably natural newcomer Shareeka Epps, and felt it was a solid character study and a beautifully shot film. I don't want to give a review or anything away, as it is a bone exposing drama missing in the bells and whistles of a forced big budgeted big names tearjerker fest. Bottom line is I loved it and it's worth mentioning to all film lovers.

Vince

Post by Vince » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:28 am

Just saw Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line recently. Absolutely stunning and profound movie. Completely unlike the traditional Hollywood style (which, incidentally, I happen to like a lot; see my review of Roger Rabbit) of storytelling and shooting. The writing doesn't say 'script' to me, it says 'literature'.

I also liked that it was much more about how 'war is evil' than 'Americans are evil.'
Last edited by Vince on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Malick is definitely one-of-a-kind. You'd probably enjoy his other films, "Badlands" and "Days of Heaven." They are masterpieces, and two of my favorite movies. (I'm not sure about "The New World," I haven't seen it yet.) Malick was also the producer on David Gordon Green's "Undertow," which has a similar sensibility, as do Green's other movies. (I'd suggest watching the Malick ones first.)

I was a wee bit disappointed by "Half Nelson" but it's definitely a film worth seeing. I agree Gosling and Epps are great and extraordinarily genuine. And the Broken Social Scene music is well chosen. :)

Johnny Neat

Well!!!

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:33 am

I finally was able to catch The Science of Sleep down here in purgatory and I was captivated by boy genius Michel Gondry's visuals and style until the last frick'n 5 minutes, literally. Whatever, it was still a nice addition to any Gondry collection.

I also wanted to give out a mention about Studio 60. WOW :shock: I love this show. It's so well written. Funny doesn't have to be dopey TV land execs. Ah and who can forget Heroes? It may be a bit amateurish on acting in some key places but the look of the show is top notch and I have hopes for the series. Anyhow see ya, LOST is back!!!!!

Neil Sorry to hear Half Nelson wasn't as good for you as it was for me mate. I agree with your soundtrack and acting opinions though.

millon

Brick

Post by millon » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:12 pm

Anyone here see Brick? Talk about an under the radar film. This is probably the closest thing to a noir I've seen in a long time, and the only real difference is obviously the use of color and the fact they use high school kids instead of cops. I absolutely loved this movie. Anyone else seen this?
A little off center then? Yeah, that's perfect..

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:32 pm

http://www.flightcomics.com/forum/viewt ... ight=brick

Here's a previous post about "Brick". I saw it in the theaters awhile back and i'm hoping there will be a sale on the dvd.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:03 am

Brick was good, good, good.

millon

Post by millon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:54 am

Yeah, definately one of the better movies to come out this year.
A little off center then? Yeah, that's perfect..

Ainsley Fish

Post by Ainsley Fish » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:25 am

I spent freakin six bucks on seeing the grudge 2. I lost part of my soul from hating it so much.

Rod

Post by Rod » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:40 pm

I haven't been out much lately, and I've been existing on DVDs, but I did some catching up. I was surprised, because I usually just watch cable or buy DVDS, at how much drivvel there is out there. Things like RV, Monster-in-Law, the Wedding Crashers, You, Me, and Dupree, and a whole caboodle of other films just wasted my time.

I kind of went for the God/Miracle Man version of Supes in Superman Returns, but Batman Begins was a much better movie for me. Nacho Libre, despite my dislike of Jack Black was just brilliant. I was a little disappointed with Art School Confidential, but that's only because Ghost World was so very, very good. I think Dan Clowes might suffer from a debut that was just too brilliant.

I also didn't like A History of Violence much; even the the sex didn't warm me to it, although it did come close.

The Devil Wears Prada was very poor compared to the quite brilliant US TV show Ugly Betty, but The Departed was a great film. I know it's a remake, but Di Caprio put in an Oscar-worthy performance.

I think Woody Allen made up for Match Point, with Scoop, more or less.

Tonight I'll be drawing into the wee small hours and I'll likely put something reliable in the DVD like Ghost Busters, with Bob Hope, or maybe Ghost World.

http://rodmckie.blogspot.com/