Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 pm

Thank You For Smoking was great! Really funny.

Brick was so cool and so good. Haven't seen anything like that in years.

V for Vendetta was amazing. Really great adaptation.

Match Point was good. Solid. Scarlette Johansen seemed a bit out of place in her performance, but she was not as bad as some had said.

bannister

Post by bannister » Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

40 years old virgin. very funny and fresh. The main actor was excellent too. Very well written i found.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:24 pm

I really liked SIXTH SENSE. Only watched it once though. I only watched UNBREAKABLE too but I absolutely LOVED it that I bought it. It's brilliant. I skipped SIGNS and THE VILLAGE. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days. It's on the list.

So! Getting onto what came in here to really say. I finally saw LADY IN THE WATER because two people I know told me that they LOVED it. If someone tells me that they "LOVED" something, it sparks my interest.

I also had to watch it because my childhood-across-the-street-neighbor Cindy Cheung plays the asian girl in the building. She told me she was in it a few months back but didn't dare tell me what character. My interest was sorta peaked.

Then a coworker told me he saw it. He thinks M. Night is a piece of turd covered in burnt hair. He said it was a really bad movie. BUT... he did a very good job with it. Interesting half compliment. But coming from someone who hates the guy, it might be something I'd actually like.

I pondered that as I watched LADY IN THE WATER and he's right. It's not the most interesting. There's not a lot going on. But what's there... he did a very nice job putting it all together. I mean... Paul giamatti gives us a great performance again. That alone kinda saved it for me. Watching this film, it made me think about my own existence and purpose. And that's what good films are all about. They make you think.

No, this isn't the best movie and I probably wouldn't have paid to see this, nor would I even own it. But I watched it and I don't regret it. It was sorta good when it comes down to it though I think it could have been a lot better... as I absolutely loved the intro.

Right now I'm gonna give it a 7/10 thanks to the interesting performances. And I like how it's shot.
My name is Dave.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Coheteboy wrote:I skipped SIGNS and THE VILLAGE. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days. It's on the list.
You should go out and rent Signs ASAP. Signs is one of the best movies I've seen, especialy from M Night. I would rank it right up there with the sixth sence. The Village was also good, but some people didn't like it as much *shrug*. But definately see Signs, you wont be dissapointed.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Quick rundown:

MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND -- Not as funny as it could have been, kinda stupid, kinda sweet... would make decent airplane fare.
Grade: 5/10

THE GROOMSMEN -- Edward Burns directs and stars in this tale of a group of old friends who reunite after a long while. Tempers flare, one comes out of the closet, brothers fight, groom wonders if he's marrying for love... blah blah. It shoulda been funny. It wasn't. It was over-dramatic and I found it hard to like the characters. John Leguizamo, Jay Mohrn, Grounded for Life guy, Brittany Murphy, and Shaggy from Scooby Doo also star.
Grade: 5/10

MIAMI VICE -- Question... does Michael Mann get bored of his own crap or is it just everyone else? I mean.. he has some good films but there's no denying that everyone of them is boring in some weird way. Miami Vice is boring in EVERY way imaginable. He even manages to make love scenes seem utterly uninvolving and pointless. No character development, all style and no substance... no style either. Complete waste of time.

Jamie Foxx was ok. Colin was just... didn't fit in with his mullet and mustache.
Grade: 4/10

BARNYARD -- It was cute, colorful, decently entertaining, definitely made for kids, nothing breakthrough but looked good... most of the good stuff is in the trailers though. Not really worth seeing in theaters for but was mildly entertaining.
Grade: 6/10
My name is Dave.

Vince

Post by Vince » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm

Coheteboy -- I don't find Mann's stuff boring at all, but in fairness I do think he's an acquired taste. I'm a big fan of his stylization and his work is right up my alley. I do admit that he's not great at characterization, but I guess I give him leeway because he's so goddamn good at what he does do well.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:27 am

Vince wrote:Coheteboy -- I don't find Mann's stuff boring at all, but in fairness I do think he's an acquired taste. I'm a big fan of his stylization and his work is right up my alley. I do admit that he's not great at characterization, but I guess I give him leeway because he's so goddamn good at what he does do well.
Good to know that there are people who like his stuff.

And in all fairness, I haven't seen Collateral or Ali (both are on my netflix queue though). I'm just going off my memories of watching THE INSIDER in the theater and finding it interesting but also completely boring at the same time. HEAT had fantastic moments but it was also pretty slow. And actually... that's all I've seen. So I'm being a little extra hard on the guy, but my thoughts on Miami Vice still stands. It's a waste of time... to me.
My name is Dave.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:44 pm

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH -- Yes, I know I'm really behind in seeing this but boy I'm so glad I did. It's something that everyone should see. Shocking, riveting, and interesting... it shows us things that I never thought I'd see. Please go see it.
Grade: 10/10 (kinda hard to really grade this since it's not so much a film but a slide show presentation with small tangents but I was into it all the way)

TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY -- I love ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGANDY. I was hoping for some huge laughs similar to that. And perhaps it was a good idea for them to change course with a completely different style of comedy, but whatever they did, I didn't laugh nearly as much as I wanted to. In fact, my laughter was mostly contained into small chuckles here and there.

I was most definitely entertained all the way through, which is a good thing, but rarely did I find anything that was laugh out loud funny, which is a real shame. I suppose if you're a real NASCAR fan, this might have more of a draw for you... but it was just "meh" for me. Decent laughs spread around, but nothing that really begs me to come back for another go.
My name is Dave.

Vince

Post by Vince » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 am

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT -- I don't think this came up in my (and for that matter most people's) "favorite films of all time" discussions. But I rewatched it the other day and had to rethink that. It manages to be a love poem to cartoons, an entertaining whodunit, and zany action movie all at the same time. In an age of CG domination, it's amazing that the illusion of toon-human interaction holds up extremely well. The plot is stunningly airtight (every plot point is followed up on, even one as minor as Roger being able to finally see stars) and the main characters are all utterly memorable.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 am

Yep. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a modern masterpiece. Strange how we don't immediately think of Robert Zemeckis when thinking of the greatest directors in American cinema, but he really is. Forrest Gump, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, and Contact (at least I love this one) are among my top favorite films done in the classical Hollywood cinema form, and every one of his films has something that I really like about them (even including The Polar Express). I just wish he'd go back to working with real people. He has such a fantastic talent for directing live action films with special effects.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:31 pm

Kazu wrote:Yep. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a modern masterpiece. Strange how we don't immediately think of Robert Zemeckis when thinking of the greatest directors in American cinema, but he really is. Forrest Gump, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, and Contact (at least I love this one) are among my top favorite films done in the classical Hollywood cinema form, and every one of his films has something that I really like about them (even including The Polar Express). I just wish he'd go back to working with real people. He has such a fantastic talent for directing live action films with special effects.
LOL, I was right there with you, Kazu until Polar Express, which I absolutely disliked. Contact was the very first DVD I bought ever and I have Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit both on laserdisc as well as dvd.

I loved Roger Rabbit ever since it came out and it's one of the few films I don't mind watching again and again. I love it so much that a major pet peeve of mine is when someone writes WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? with a question mark at the end. Not part of the title. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Moving on, I caught a little gem this weekend called LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE that follows a weekend of a disfunctional family who have one goal: to accompany the daughter to participate in the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in California. The family, located in New Mexico, are all somehow persuaded to go on this VW Bus trip whether they want to or not, and in the end, learn how to stick together through the best... and definitely the worst of it.

In a day of nonstop CG and movies like "Step Up", it's always nice to catch a movie that's about people and the situations they encounter. I don't think this is "best picture" like some critics are saying, but it's a fine, well written, and well acted film that should be on everyone's list to see. None of it is ever boring and it's constantly suprising you.

Grade: 8/10
My name is Dave.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 am

Little Miss Sunshine is great! Everyone should see it immediately!

I like Zemeckis too. My roommate was watching "Castaway" on TV yesterday and I sat down and watched the rest of it with him.

Johnny Neat

I love....

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:09 pm

My fave film is the Back to the Future trilogy. I consider a film because it is one film for me. Anyhow I love this film beyond words and only my adult fave movie of "The Eternal Shunshine of the Spotlessmind" does it on my list of too many films to mention. Robert "Baby Spielberg" Zemeckis is dope. He needs to make anything really, cuss Gil Kenan's Monster House Ruled! He still has eyes.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Johnny Neat

I love....

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:09 pm

My fave film is the Back to the Future trilogy. I consider a film because it is one film for me. Anyhow I love this film beyond words and only my adult fave movie of "The Eternal Shunshine of the Spotlessmind" does it on my list of too many films to mention. Robert "Baby Spielberg" Zemeckis is dope. He needs to make anything really, cuss Gil Kenan's Monster House Ruled! He still has eyes.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:06 pm

I saw the silly comedy titled: ACCEPTED and it's pretty much what you expect. You all know the premise of the kid who gets rejected by every college, decides to pretend that he got into one so his dad wouldn't get on his case. His dad wants to learn more and more about the school constantly so Justin Long's character is required to make the school more and more real.

It's entertaining and sometimes clever, but never incredibly hilarious. It'd make a good matinee if you're in the mood, but in the long run, there's only a few bits of dialogue that may make it to cult status, but not much else.

"Ask me about my wiener" of course is the one that will last a while.

Oh and Lewis Black is funny as always.

My name is Dave.