Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:52 pm

I just watched Frank And Ollie last night, a 1999 documentary about two of the famous "Nine Old Men" of Disney Animation. I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of Disney films, but this doc made me want to see some of those films again. It's so inspiring to watch these guys talk about their work and their passion for animation -- it's well worth a watch, whatever kind of artist you are.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:52 am

So this is funny... I just watched Eastern Promises and Shoot 'em Up back-to-back. One was very good, the other was very not.

Watching the credits, it turned out that Denise Cronenberg was the costume designer for both films. WEIRD.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 pm

I saw The Orphanage which was suspenseful and a little chilling. Not as creepy as I would have hoped for, but it is a good ghost story.

Also saw There Will Be Blood. I thought it was another PT Andersen masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis gives one of his best performances. After the film was over, I felt like I walked out of the theater covered in blood. Or oil.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 pm

I just watched The Karate Kid. It's been a while since I last saw the film, and man, it is SOOO GOOD. I love this film. The 80's aesthetic and music dates it a little bit, but the acting, directing, and especially the screenplay and story still resonate strongly. I highly recommend revisiting this wonderful film.

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:35 am

I saw Cloverfield yesterday, which I thought was great, but recently I watched Sunshine by Danny Boyle (28 Days Later).

It's set in 2057, where the sun is burning out, and a team of astronauts have been sent to the sun with a giant thermonuclear bomb that they will use to restart it.

I totally missed this movie when it came out last year, but I loved it. So much so, that I actually watched it twice, which I rarely ever do with movies. Some of the visuals in this are just stunning, which are mainly due to a new twist on sci-fi movies. Although you get the feeling of cold, empty space, it's just dominated by the enormity and terrible power of the sun.

The pace in the film is great. It starts slowly, letting you get a feel for each member of the crew as they realistically weigh each decision against completing their mission, but it picks up speed and never lags. The crew faces some serious problems, which provide some of the most intense scenes in a movie I've seen in a while, all the while feeling surprisingly real.

Finally, I loved the soundtrack. It has, in my limited musical comparison vocabulary, a very appropriate open, spacey feel to it, similar to what I've heard of Brian Eno. Very ambient and peaceful. But there are also two scenes--my favorite--which feature this heroic yet bittersweet swelling anthem that definitely reinforce and drive the action taking place.

You need to see this movie. One of my favorite space movies in a long while.
Image Image

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Kazu wrote:I just watched The Karate Kid. It's been a while since I last saw the film, and man, it is SOOO GOOD. I love this film. The 80's aesthetic and music dates it a little bit, but the acting, directing, and especially the screenplay and story still resonate strongly. I highly recommend revisiting this wonderful film.
Hell yes, talk to Israel, its like his favorite film of all time.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:16 am

The Wrestler - The new Darren Aronofsky film

Slumdog Millionaire - Latest Danny Boyle film

Both films were spectacular. I definitely want to see these again.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am

Slumdog was the winner of the PCA at Toronto International Film Fest, so it'll probably get decent noms. We were a pretty tough crowd :)
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 pm

Rocknrolla = sux. Avoid. Guy Ritchie, it seems, is (was?) a one-trick pony.
ImageImage