Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
maxoid

Post by maxoid » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:24 pm

Gonna have to jump on the "Children of Men is Awesome" boat now. I saw it at a mall theater downtown, and as soon as I got out I couldn't help but picture the mall in horrible disrepair, a sort of battleground. As I exited the buiding itself, I head a baby crying down the block and nearly wept.

A great story, masterfully told. Probably will make some all-time-top-films lists (right up there on mine with The Big Lebowski, Solaris, and Catch-22, among others).

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Children of Men was simply amazing. One of the best films I've seen in a while. Going up to the top of the list with the Prestige and the Jacket.

I went to see Perfume tonight with a girl friend of mine and well, we left after the first thirty minutes and got our money back. I knew the film was going to be kinda wierd, but watching a creep sniff up a dead naked woman just wasn't part of our evening schedual. I can't judge the movie as a whole, but I saw all I needed to see.

Instead we ended up seeing Night at the Museum which turned out to be a really fun, enjoyable film. Got plenty of laughs out of me.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Saw Dreamgirls and Letters from Iwo Jima. Enjoyed both. Their stories felt simple and straightforward. Nothing surprising. Dreamgirls almost felt cliched in a sense, but it was good movie entertainment. Both are good movies but not particularly great.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:18 pm

I've seen alot since Jan.
Rocky Balboa - 7.5/10 much in the same spirit as Rocky I, II.
Flags of Our Fathers - 8/10 interesting history about the flag raising. But I'd give Iwo Jima the slight edge cause it was less broken up and concentrated solely on the battle.
Children of Men - 5.5/10 hate to say it, but found this run, chase, and hide movie quite overrated. Premise and setup were interesting and it's well made but I like my movies explained. Not as thought provoking or visionary as Blade Runner.
The Prestige - 7/10 Fine movie, but I felt like it was a story that was too crafted. They should've had more back story on Tesla and Alfred's connection. Tesla should've duplicated loads of cash.
Oldboy- 8/10 - Well constructed, disturbing movie. Reminded me of fight club: The fights sucked and people were delusional. I'm not a fan of movies that do a good job of making you feel sick though. I felt dizzy after staying up and watching this.
Election - 7/10 Decent well made triad movie.
Election 2 - 7/10 Was more complicated and ironic than the first but does that mean it was better? Not to me.
University of Laughs - 9/10 Was bored with it at one point but I loved it. Story was well written and the actors were charming.
Gauche the Cellist - 8.5/10 I may be overrating this but I loved it. I liked the classical music and found the animal characters to be charming.
Hula Girls - 7/10 Decent story, I'm a sucker for natscashe/nostalgic movies taking place in the 60's/70's but Hula dancing isn't THAT exciting. Was a little too melodramatic at times. But it gets points for telling a story of the founding of japan's first real theme resort.

Favorite "idiot moments" trivia
Children of Men: How do you escape a whole military squad and lots of fighting rebels after grabbing their full attention with the most treasured being on Earth?
A: walk away... VERY slowly!

Election: How many times can a person continue to grunt after continuously getting their skull caved in with a large rock?
A: 14

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 am

The Host. Just saw it at the Parkway in Berkeley. What an odd movie.

Lestrade

Post by Lestrade » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 am

I just saw The Host as well. I saw it with two friends from out of town. I think I misled them when I called it a "monster movie" though—they didn't enjoy it, probably because they were expecting something different.

For my part, I loved the movie. Everything: the bizarre humour, the great photography, the wacky characters. And especially the monster. There were a few sketchy effects at the end, but for the majority of the movie that thing was just impressive; the way it moved, the patterns of its peculiar life, etc.

I thought the film had some truly great moments of tension, even when you could see the set-up coming a mile away. Its strength was that it never telegraphed from where. Despite conventions it managed to surprise and delight, and the over-the-top political and social commentary—ham-fisted, yes, but obviously so—really drove home the point that The Host isn't a monster movie, but a really fucked-up drama about a truly fucked-up family dealing with an extremely fucked-up situation.

Sitcom of the year?
BenjaminRivers.com - Illustration | Comics | Joy

Felix

Post by Felix » Mon May 21, 2007 5:29 am

Saw 'Soylent Green', finally.

So much of science fiction cinema today owes a huge debt to that story and the film.

Although Heston proved to be a bit of a nut down the time line of life... Suppose thats why he was believable in those roles.

Also went to see Zodiac - that was stretching audience patience. It seems much of cinema these days looks to make the longer film yet it is apparent to me that they always fall short of creating true master-pieces for 2 reasons.

1: There's a significant lack of susbstance to the stories and/or characters. In cases where there is substance the second reason comes in to effect.

2. Directors and editors have lost their sense of pace and timing. If you look at Kurosawa's '7 Samurai' it is a 2 and half hour film. Yet you never notice, you never shift and fiddle around in your seat, because the timing and pace of the story is so good.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Dark City - It had been a long time since I last saw this film, and it holds up pretty well! The first half is still quite awkward (perhaps intentionally), and Kiefer Sutherland's performance is as annoying as it is effective, but once the film kicks into high gear, the story works really well. I'm also very surprised to see what they were able to accomplish with a relatively low budget (though some of the effects do look cheesy). If they had a stronger final battle sequence, however, I think it would hold up a lot better. Anyway, I really enjoyed it.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Hmm...

High and Low - Saw it before, but I got to see it on the big screen at the AFI Silver. It's a solid crime flick by Kurosawa that runs a little long, but it shows that he can do more than just samurai films.

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End - this movie got a lot of flak for being too long or convoluted, but I liked it a lot. Heck, I didn't even see the second movie. I had to catch up with the story through Wikipedia. Johnny Depp was great, but it was fun to watch him interact with Geoffery Rush. Keira Knightley has shown that she is not just some Natalie Portman clone.

Ratatouille - I definitely understand some of the negative reviews for this movie, but I liked it. I'm baised. I needed to watch something goofy and I'm a Patton Oswald fan.

Paprika - Satoshi Kon's stuff is always nice to look at, but I don't know about this one. The story was really lacking, and the motivations of the characters didn't make too much sense to me. But still, I'm glad to have caught this in the theatre.

The Seventh Seal - I was hesitant to see this movie because I'm been gradually losing interest in Ingmar Bergman's films. But my friend insisted on us seeing it. Atmospheric, interesting dialouge, great acting, and very extremely thought provoking moments. Good film. Not one of my favorites, but like I said I've become iffy about Bergman's films.

This weekend, I'll be seeing Scarface and Transformers. Finally!
Remember to breathe.....

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Last night I saw A.I. on TV. I remember seeing it when it came out in the theater and I really liked it. I remember many people not liking it because they said it was Kubrick's movie and Spielberg's sentimentality ruined it but I loved those parts and thought those were the best parts of the movie. Especially at the end. I remember people thought it should've ended without the aliens but the last scene with the mother is so touching. Makes me want to cry every time I see it. And John Williams' score was great.

pinkpanther

Post by pinkpanther » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 pm

I saw the Simpsons twice in three days.

It's still great even after I know all the jokes!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Enchanted > All the girls at the studio were so excited about this one, so a couple of us guys tagged along as well. This is a great movie! If you're a fan of the 80's romantic comedies with a fantasy twist, like Splash or Big, you'll really like this one. Amy Adams is incredible in the lead role, and carries the film on her performance. The script and supporting cast are also top notch, and the directing is pretty solid. The last ten minutes or so are a bit weaker than the rest of the film, but despite this, the film is a great piece of entertainment all around. Highly recommended.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Amy Adams is hot, so I will try to catch this sometime.

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:34 pm

James Marsden is hot, so I will try to catch this sometime.

daveau82

Post by daveau82 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:29 am

I was SO pleasantly suprised with this one. I wouldn't mind giving the Oscar to Amy Adams this year. She never overdoes her role, and she cracked me up with every delivery. One of my favorite reviews said that she is reminiscent of the smell of cookies. Who knew this would be so damn good?