Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Movies You've Seen Recently...

Post by Kazu » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:42 pm

Changed this post a bit. I'm throwing this in here to encourage people to post casual nonsense. So here's a thread about movies you've seen recently that you enjoyed. I'll throw some down to start off:

Punch Drunk Love - Man, I just watched this film last night and I was floored. The film is an hour and a half of pure inspiration. It's so great to see films being made with such a loose, raw feel. Like seeing a really great sketch.

My Neighbors the Yamadas - I echo Wira's sentiment when he told me that he's not surprised that this was not a big hit for Studio Ghibli, but is definitely one of their best. It is, but in such a quirky way. The film sports a highly-stylized look that reflects the day-to-day comics of popular Japanese newspapers, and still has the feel of Isao Takahata's earlier films. He's the other big gun at Ghibli. Despite a total disregard for linear narrative, I really liked it. The minimal animation is sooo beautiful.

Joel

Post by Joel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:38 am

Wasn't the Yamadas actually based on a long running strip in Japan?

I saw a free screening of Ridley Scott's Matchstick Men.....I really, really enjoyed it (and I HATE Nick Cage).
They kind of telegraphed the punches a bit, so you saw the conclusion coming up kind of predictably, so they have a nice twist, and then they have genuine, and somewhat surprising reactions to the twist from the characters...
I recommend it!
Although the screening I went to was filled with the dregs of humanity, all sliding out of their lairs for a free flick....oy

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:04 am

It's the Toronto Film Festival up here, so I've caught movie madness lately:

- Zatoichi, a very cool film by Takeshi ("Beat") Kitano, about Japan's most famous blind ronin. Lots of artistic use of blood.

- Ong-Bak Muay Thai Warrior, featuring the film debut of Panom Yeerum, who is well on his way to becoming the next Jackie Chan. Lots of insane stunts and some very brutal examples of Muay Thai (how they didn't kill the stuntmen with those flying elbows and kicks are beyond me).

- Next weekend will be midnight madness, and we'll be catching Undead, a pleasant little Australian zombie flick. Hopefully, that'll have lots of blood too.

- Rented Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive, since we couldn't see Gozu, which was also playing at the film fest. The ending completely blew my mind -- what a warped film that was.

- American Splendor was really good too, but I actually liked the format (the documentary scenes within the movies -- I really enjoyed watching the real Harvey Pekar and Toby talking about pina colada jellybeans as the actors playing them in the movie sat behind them on the set and watched) more than some of the straight-up adaptation of Pekar's comics.

...and seeing as how today is The Day, I ended up watching 25th Hour last night. I love this film more and more each time I watch it.

Phil C

Post by Phil C » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:08 am

(Add to list: Punch Drunk Love)

Recently, hm...
I saw Open Range. The scenes where Kevin didn't talk were good.

Actually, I liked it purty good. Old fashioned, in a way. Simple plot, but fairly compelling. One of Robert Duvall's very best performances, I thought. I like him mucho.

The dialogue was crap, pretty much, except for Duvall's and some minor characters'. Thus, I started out not liking the movie. But the basic story overcame the weaknesses, and I actually enjoyed a Kevin Costner movie!

Not that I'll get the DVD or anything, but there you go. (Maybe I'm being too generous with ol' Kev.)

Other than that--watched Back to the Future the other night. Brilliant. I loved it! First time watching in a long while.
Time travel never really makes sense in movies, but this one does an amazing job of setting up its own sort of comic-bookish concept of the possibility. The storytelling blew me away in several instances--seeing how they set up and paid off various plot points and details.

And too bad they lost the original, no-name actress who played MJ Fox's girlfriend when they did the sequels! She was a real cutie!

Later--
Phil

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:42 am

Joel > Yeah, I heard Matchstick Men is supposed to be incredible. At first, it just seemed to me that Ridley Scott was doing his own modest little Catch Me If You Can but I guess it's proving to be quite a thing on its own. I'll have to catch a screening when it hits the local theaters. And I didn't know that about the Yamadas, but it all makes sense now.

Kean > My professor in school was a friend of Shintaro Katsu (the original Zato-ichi) and made him the subject of a documentary. Is he in the new Kitano film? Oh, and I have yet to see a Miike film, but I imagine that may be a good thing. :)

Phil > I have to admit that the Open Range trailer did look pretty good, but you put Robert Duvall in anything and the whole project starts looking better. I just picture Kevin Costner holding these older, more talented actors out in front of him like shields.

Joel

Post by Joel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:55 am

Hey, if you liked the new Zatoichi, you HAVE to go back and see all of the old movies.....hilarious and awesome.

Hopefully, we can get a decent box set over here.
I've seen a couple of DVDs, but the production values were kind of low...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:06 am

Kazu wrote:Kean > My professor in school was a friend of Shintaro Katsu (the original Zato-ichi) and made him the subject of a documentary. Is he in the new Kitano film? Oh, and I have yet to see a Miike film, but I imagine that may be a good thing. :)
I don't think Shintaro Katsu is in it (according to the IMDB entry).

And be warned: if you're going to watch a Miike film, be prepared for a total mindfuck. I shouldn't say anything more, since that might ruin the experience for you :)
I just picture Kevin Costner holding these older, more talented actors out in front of him like shields.
Sometimes I like to imagine people using Costner as a human shield for real bullets.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:45 am

Oh, you guys...
Kevin is a fine actor, just fine. Handsome, too! And so clever.

(Now, where's that toilet paper I had printed up with his face on it...)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:09 pm

Man, you guys have to check out this trailer. You will be amazed.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:02 pm

Somebody tell Pixar to watch their back!

We must have similar taste, Kazu--Punch Drunk Love was one of my favorite movies last year. I just got the DVD...

I saw The Secret Lives of Dentists today; it was pretty good. It was nice to see a well acted, subtle movie after S.W.A.T. and whatnot this summer. I'm going to see American Splendor tomorrow...

I am very jealous, Kean!

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:16 pm

I'm quitting the Flight project.

So I can go to Dinosaur Island! Wheee !!!!

Phil

Joel

Post by Joel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:15 pm

I just don't know exactly how to react to that trailer...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:57 pm

I saw Infernal Affairs for the second time last night. It's a police drama out of Hong Kong, starring Tony Leung and (my arch-nemesis) Andy Lau. It's basically about a triad gang putting a mole in the police force, and the police putting a mole in the the gang. And both sides are trying to smoke out the moles on both sides.

There are almost no gun battles -- just some fantastically paced cat & mouse chases (think a high-tech version of The French Connection). There are some really subtle things going on in the movie that I only picked up the second time I watched it. Really good stuff.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:33 pm

Tony Leung is the most bad-ass actor on the planet. The film sounds very interesting. I'll try to find some time to watch it, if I can find the film.

enrico

Post by enrico » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:55 pm

Has anyone seen ALL ABOUT LILI CHOU CHOU ?
Awesome japanese movie from Shunji Iwai ?
Great movie ... striking ...
Youth gone wrong kind of story ...

E
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------