Old Boy

Discuss films.
Uncle

Post by Uncle » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:54 pm

I had the great fortune of seeing this in the theatre here in Vancouver last monday.

If it is making the rounds to a 'theatre near you' do yourself a favor and get down there. This is "A THEATRE movie" if I've ever seen one. The experience was much richer than watching it on the small screen.
new comics 5 days a week
www.unclecomics.com

RyanE

Post by RyanE » Thu May 19, 2005 8:19 pm

I hope I'm not reporting old news here, but has anyone else heard the news about the US remake of Old Boy in the works?
That story in itself is just stupid. I mean, the film is already done, done well, played in North America, and proved to be a good enough film in it's own right. But it's already a Korean telling of a Japanese story. It can be told in a US version, even if it's pointless to do so.
But then, they started work on a remake of JSA.
WHY??? It's a story about Korea. Half of it is already in English, and the characters speak the languages they would. The only options to do a Hollywood remake is to still set it in Korea, but make everyone speak English, or have it take place in the US. The whole point of the film is the strange dynamic at the joint security area and how it exists nowhere else. The very title of the movie is a landmark in Korea. I don't get it.
Of course, I got this news from "Ain't it Cool" and I've never read anything from that site before, so I don't know how accurate their news reporting is, so I hope they're wrong.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20220

Jeppo

Post by Jeppo » Tue May 24, 2005 6:45 am

Recently, a number of eastern films have been remade by the US, so this wouldnt suprise me.
but anyway why remake this wonderful film?
its the best film i have seen in ages, well directed, Amazing soundtrack, and great set design etc etc.

I thought that the film Oldboy was based on a korean manga, by the same name?
From what I have foundout, it has only been translated into french? and consists of a series of eight books.