Old Boy

Discuss films.
enrico

Old Boy

Post by enrico » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:49 pm

Couldn't find a thread on this movie... was there ever one ?

What a movie ! It's breathtaking ...
Anyone else saw this amazing mindtwisting Korean thriller ?

Trailer and info here:
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.ns ... yx12x10x04
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:49 pm

I'm going to see it in a week and a half. I'll post back here afterwards. I'm really looking forward to it, though!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:52 am

I just saw this tonight and it was fantastic. Amazing film. One of the best I've seen in recent years and reminded me of why I love the film medium so much. It almost feels like what would result if you took a slick, mind-bending thriller like Seven or the The Usual Suspects, layered it with the pathos and quiet tragedy of a film like Chinatown, then had Quentin Tarantino co-direct it with Hal Hartley and Stanley Kubrick. Hehe. I only describe it in these terms because it is a film buff's violent, visceral fantasy. Director Chanwook Park has proven to be one of this medium's contemporary masters, and I can't wait to watch his other films.

I think this is actually the third thread on the subject, though. :)

jen

Chan-wook Park = my baby's daddy.

Post by jen » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 am

I concur with these sentiments! In fact I caught the DVD at Amoeba today for $11 ($18 store credit!) and it is so mine.

I haven't seen JSA but apparently it's the Hollywood schlockfest he made to fund "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "OldBoy". "Sympathy" is also a fine film but a LOT more somber. If the vengeance in "OldBoy" was sadistically entertaining, in "Sympathy" you just wish the characters would just stop already for-the-love-of-god, vengeance is terrible!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:27 am

Man, as the film began winding down to the end, I was wondering how they would manage to pull it all off, seeing what a fine mess they had already created with such an intricately woven plot. As the final act unfolded, I was floored at how well it all played out, and with a confident, maniacal and pain-filled grin no less. At least from a filmmaking standpoint, it's so refreshing to see a film willing to take such risks and pulling it all off with glee. This film is so damn cool, too. If I were back in high school, I would be completely obsessed with it (as I was with Fargo, Barton Fink, A Clockwork Orange, and Reservoir Dogs)...

I need to buy this DVD too...

Oh, and everyone else, here's a link to the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/old_boy.html

RyanE

Post by RyanE » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 am

JSA is a GREAT film. I strongly recommend it.
It's the sweetest, funniest movie you'll ever see about a grisly brutal double murder and the followup military investigation.
BTW, the final film in Park's "Revenge Trilogy" (which started with Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Old Boy) is coming out this summer. It's called Sympathy for Ms. Vengeance. The name alone frightens me, but I remain optimistic, even if the lead actress is the investigator from JSA, and the worst actress ever.

Ryan

RyanE

Post by RyanE » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:36 am

<----- my avatar = me as a character from JSA. Proof I love that movie.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:54 am

Aw man, the week I miss my chance to watch this movie with friends, everyone has to rave about what a great movie it is again. :)
Kazu wrote:... layered it with the pathos and quiet tragedy of a film like Chinatown, then had Quentin Tarantino co-direct it with Hal Hartley and Stanley Kubrick. Hehe.
Whoa!

kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 pm

snice no one has mentioned moemories of murder, which came after sympathy for mr vengence you should check that out too. its based on the true story of s. koreas first serial killer. really good film. there was talk of him doing a vampire film too. i think thats after sympathy for ms vengence. i have three part 2 but havent had a chance to watch it, he did a short film with miike and another director.

RyanE

Post by RyanE » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:35 pm

Memories of Murder is also an amazing movie.
As I've said before, Song Gang Ho is the best actor ever.

Ryan

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:07 pm

Picked up the DVD. Love the movie. Love it. :D

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:54 pm

Kazu wrote:Man, as the film began winding down to the end, I was wondering how they would manage to pull it all off, seeing what a fine mess they had already created with such an intricately woven plot. As the final act unfolded, I was floored at how well it all played out, and with a confident, maniacal and pain-filled grin no less. At least from a filmmaking standpoint, it's so refreshing to see a film willing to take such risks and pulling it all off with glee. This film is so damn cool, too.
I feel exactly the same way. I actually got a bit scared that it wouldn't all come together in the end, thus ruining everything great about the movie. They totally pulled it off, though, and it was even better than I had imagined. Such an awesome movie.

Hehe, I also like how Ebert pointed out that "there is a scene during which an octopus is definitely harmed during the making of the movie."

Matthew Forsythe

Post by Matthew Forsythe » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:51 pm

Just to clarify - Park didn't direct 'Memories' - it only has a common actor with JSA. Excellent stuff, though.

Very much looking forward to Sympathy for Ms Vengeance - as Mr Vengeance was visually - and otherwise - breath-taking.

So glad Old Boy is finding an audience here. Truth is, it was never really loved by Korean audiences. Much too dark and violent. They much prefer the My Sassy Girl fare.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:59 pm

Just out of curiousity, but has anyone read the manga Old Boy is supposed to be (loosely) based on? I got to wondering the other day.

Oh yeah, and it's an awesome movie, it rocks, etc. :)

Uncle

Post by Uncle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:25 am

Got to join the praise parade and say... THis movie was AMAZING! Oldboy satisfies on so many levels. This also has one of the best fight scenes in a short list of great cinema fight scenes.
new comics 5 days a week
www.unclecomics.com