Zathura

Discuss films.
kamikazestyle

Zathura

Post by kamikazestyle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:48 am

kinda reminds me of jumanji, watch the uglydoll take it through the head though...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pict ... large.html

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Ha ha, you just pointed out my first two impressions from the trailer.

It sorta went like this...

"Hey, this is just a rip off of Jumanji! Who do they think they're fooling!?"

"WOAH! Was that an Uglydoll!?!"

"'From the writer of Jumanji??' What a hack!"
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:40 pm

Yah I saw that trailer in front of ROBOTS and immediately wanted to yell out JUMANJI! Just like Homer did in one simpsons episode. When are they gonna make a movie on the game of LIFE?
My name is Dave.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:50 pm

This trailer reminded me how much I like the soundtrack to The Abyss.

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Umm, actually, it's a sequal of sorts to Jumanji. It's based off another book by Van Allsburg, the same author, just moving the setting to space and not the jungle...

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:30 pm

This is the film that completely ruined an animation idea I was writing and about to start. Tonally it was totally different, but it was about a floating house in space. So this movie totally ruined everything. Thanks a lot Jon Favreau!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:56 pm

If your entire story hinged on a concept, you're off on the wrong foot to begin with.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm

The thing with Jumangi was that the board game was this ancient looking hand carved box that was magical. Belief was easily suspended. But the game in Zathura comes in a printed cardboard box from the 50's, which means it was a mass produced game... so where are the others? Meh, maybe I'm just getting too bitter and cynical for this kind of fluff.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:19 pm

I love Jon Favreau, but this don't look too sweet.

Reminds me of the eighties for some reason.
--Joe.

agremar

Post by agremar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm

hehe, well, one of these days I hope to work on a movie people actually are looking forward to :)

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:06 pm

Kazu wrote:If your entire story hinged on a concept, you're off on the wrong foot to begin with.
What does that mean exactly? Isn't every story hinged on a concept? If you take away the entire concept that spawned it then I guess a good story could still exist. But that's like having Jurassic Park but without the dinosaurs or something.

I could have changed it from a floating house but that was the central image that got the whole plot/idea into my head. I didn't want to do it without the house, and I didn't want anyone to compare it to this film. So I decided to work on a different idea instead.

I'll admit the story wasn't fleshed out entirely yet, but there is no one right way to approach writing a good story. Least of which, I think, would be taking a concept or image and letting the plot and characters baloon from that.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:24 pm

agremar wrote:hehe, well, one of these days I hope to work on a movie people actually are looking forward to :)
You're working on this?

Oh... well, um... it doesn't look all bad. :oops:
--Joe.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:15 pm

Siftland wrote:
Kazu wrote:If your entire story hinged on a concept, you're off on the wrong foot to begin with.
What does that mean exactly? Isn't every story hinged on a concept? If you take away the entire concept that spawned it then I guess a good story could still exist. But that's like having Jurassic Park but without the dinosaurs or something.
I feel Jurassic Park is about technology gone awry and the folly of man's attempt to control nature for the sake of doing it. Dinosaurs became the tool the storyteller uses to convey that idea. On a secondary level, the characters grow into their own and have their own stories and agendas that don't require concepts to explore them. When I see a film that is obviously based solely on the concept and the characters and plot evolve from that concept, it usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth (as Robots did). This only touches a very sensitive subject for me, since I used to build my stories around concepts, wondering why they were always failing (at least in the back of my mind). Once I stopped caring about the "cool" or "wow" factor and started caring about the characters and the ideas expressed, I found that I could tell powerful stories most anywhere, even while retreading the same material someone else had covered, which is something that will inevitably happen anyway.

When Richard LaGravenese wrote the The Fisher King, it was a story about a man and his mentally handicapped brother. Then Rain Man came out as soon as he was finished writing the script. He pulled his hair out at first, but then regrouped and found the core ideas of the story were not the basic premise, so he changed it, and it became what it is. I think it's a fantastic film. And it goes to show what great things artists, when willing to really apply their creativity to something, can work around the worst obstacles, only to come out with something better.

I don't like telling anyone what to do, but I would suggest not dropping your idea simply because it has a floating house in it. I'm sure no one will make the comparison since you'll do it quite differently than they would, because you're a different person (and because this film will likely bomb and leave without a trace). In fact it may be a good time to reassess what the most important elements in your story are and see if you can infuse those core ideas into something better and new. So maybe you really oughtta be thanking Jon Favreau. Hehehe. Anyway, sorry to rant. It seems we tend to butt heads on films in here quite a bit. I just don't want this place turning into The Comics Journal message boards.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:11 pm

Is that the same house from the Hulk?

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:56 pm

heh. I didn't know that about The Fisher King. Gilliam is my personal idol btw. They need to release a DVD with more extras and stuff.

Every story has a 'high concept,' which is either generated while it is being made or while it is being pitched, and I'm not convinced that that concept should NOT be the primary motivation for the story. Of course there will be tons of other interesting bits that spawn from it that could stand alone if necessary. Likewise, I'm sure most the salvagable ideas from my floating house idea will make their way into other stories/projects. Yeah that's already started to happen.

Anyway, you're right that this film coming out was a blessing in disguise. Because my idea had gotten so large and ambitious that it would have taken several years to finish. And now I don't have to worry about it anymore and can stop procrastinating with my comics ideas (though I do want to do a real animation some day...'real' meaning not one of my student films).

The original concept for The Sopranos was simply a gangster going to a psychiatrist. That's the first thing they thought of and it spawned a huge story with several dozen fleshed out characters. If they felt they should have taken out the psychiatrist part they likely wouldn't have even done the show. And even if they had it wouldn't have been The Sopranos anymore.

So yeah, the good ideas I had will be recycled into something else, it just won't be in or around a floating house. The Fisher King survived
with the same title I guess, but considering it's an entirely different (and better) movie from Rain Man, it's not the same movie it had been before he felt compelled to change it. And as elementary as that sounds, I guess that's my whole point hehe.

I butt heads with everyone about movies. I hate everything; it's a deep character flaw ha!