Steamboy

Discuss films.
dik pose

Steamboy

Post by dik pose » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:22 am

I saw Steamboy at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood this week....WHOA!! Insane.
Last edited by dik pose on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donal

Post by Donal » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:32 am

It looks awesome, and Ive been waiting for this for a couple years.
D.
The Myopic Malcontent.
Deviant Art Site.
Crawl before you walk.
http://www.sketchcrawl.com

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:21 am

Cool! I'll have to find a place in San Francisco that is showing it.

:D

EQ

Post by EQ » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:12 pm

Just saw the US premiere (of the english dubbed version i guess) Otomo was supposed to speak afterwards, but he had the flu. The animation director spoke, and so did a producer. It was cool to hear them speak, but the questions people asked were terrible. I didn't know it took them 10 years to make... that's crazy. Definitely worth seeing the animation was dope, and it had a great story too.
-brad

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:38 am

I get to see it in a week at the Nuart theater in LA. Wahoo!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:01 am

Oh yeah, a WARNING...make sure you see the subtitled version, the dubbed version has edited scenes...and no one wants edited scenes right?!

agremar

Post by agremar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:27 am

Steamboy just went into wider release today, so look for it in a theatre near you.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:13 pm

I forgot all about this then I saw a trailer when I was at the gym. I haven't been excited about a movie in a long time! I can't wait to see it!!! XD

gau dog

I like steam.

Post by gau dog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:06 am

I just saw it and it was quite a spectacle of a movie. Light on plot but the action was entertaining nevertheless. Like a summer blockbusta movie.

I couldn't help comparing it to Laputa because of the similar era and such. Steamboy's characters aren't as enduring as Laputa's. And Miyazaki's a better storyteller. But Steamboy's art is more impressive and spectacular. The action was more exciting too.

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:08 pm

I cannot WAIT to see this movie! If you live in Orange County, it's playing at the UCI theater. That might help some people.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:47 am

Well, it was a fun film, and I did like it overall. The story could have used a lot more subtlety but the animation is worth the price of admission. Basically, exactly what I expected.

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:07 pm

Kazu wrote:Well, it was a fun film, and I did like it overall. The story could have used a lot more subtlety but the animation is worth the price of admission. Basically, exactly what I expected.

--That's exactly my reaction :)

The friends I saw it with hated it though. I guess they wanted it to be something it wasn't.

enrico

Post by enrico » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:04 pm

I was let down a bit ...
there were too many moments that made groan ...
maybe the dialogue didn't help ...
not sure ...
But the whole movie is very disconnected ... especially the 2nd part feels cobbled together...

I don't have much taste for eye candy anymore ... I want some more substance ...
I appreciate the world they create, cool stuff, neat and smart inventions but they have to put characters I care about in them!
Both Robots and Steamboy fail in that for me and they hit a similar note ... they are smart, sharp movies ... but they are missing more important things ...

E

PS
one word ... Mindgame ! = the antidote to all these high production value but blah stories of the latest animated flicks ...
Last edited by enrico on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 pm

I have to check out Mindgame! :D

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:27 pm

Saw the Director's cut last night.
But the whole movie is very disconnected ... especially the 2nd part feels cobbled together...

I don't have much taste for eye candy anymore ... I want some more substance ...
I appreciate the world they create, cool stuff, neat and smart inventions but they have to put characters I care about in them!
My sentiments exactly, Enrico ... I didn't even believe in the world so much, though. The story was so peppered with unlikely gadgets that they stopped being a novelty very quickly, and killed any suspension of disbelief about the world they were supposed to exist in. I appreciated the craftsmanship of the bg painters, CG crews, mechanical designers etc., but a little restraint would've gone a long way. Then a big machine would have been really impressive, instead of just another CG shot of hissing steam, moving gears, etc.
Brian
ImageImage