Sideways

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

Sideways

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:32 am

Has anyone here seen Sideways yet? I've scoured through a few pages of this thread and found no such topic. I just watched it last night and it was thoroughly entertaining.... even moreso than About Schmidt in my opinion.

Paul Giamatti has a real knack for playing really pathetic characters, but still being likable at the same time. He does it again here.

I thought this movie was going to be all about wine tasting.. having only seen the commercial once, but it's more about two friends and their adventures in one week. Although the theme of wine tasting is underneath EVERYTHING.

I highly recommend seeing Sideways. It's very well written and well acted. I'm sure there'll be Oscar Nominations for this one.
My name is Dave.

bannister

Post by bannister » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:03 pm

Ow, I've got to see it ! I love paul Giamatti ! he was wonderfull in American Splendor !
Waiting to see it !

neil

Post by neil » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:33 pm

This is a really good movie! That Alexander Payne is not very predictable...

I think there was some discussion of it here in the "what have you watched recently?" thread.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:16 pm

Yeah, I liked this film a lot. However, I do have complaints... my two complaints were that 1) for a film about subtext, they didn't let much of it stay under the surface, and 2) the characters are pretty despicable (but in a cute way). But yeah, despite my complaints, this one will pull in even more awards than it's already won, and Alexander Payne is certainly establishing himself as one of America's leading film directors. I recommend this film.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:23 pm

Kazu wrote:Yeah, I liked this film a lot. However, I do have complaints... my two complaints were that 1) for a film about subtext, they didn't let much of it stay under the surface, and 2) the characters are pretty despicable (but in a cute way). But yeah, despite my complaints, this one will pull in even more awards than it's already won, and Alexander Payne is certainly establishing himself as one of America's leading film directors. I recommend this film.
Haha yah... Thomas Hayden Church's character was pretty horrible but you can totally see any of your friends like that. Paul Giamatti's character I identified with alright... except for the part about stealing money from his mommy.

Maybe that's why my mom didn't like it too much.
My name is Dave.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:40 pm

Payne does great work, but the story totally dropped the ball when it came to the moral of the story. I know, I know, some aren't as tied to the moral as I may be, but it was disappointing to see a bastard like Hayden-Church's character get away with what he did and Giamatti make so little change in his life.

And, at the same time, that's what was satisfying to me about the story. I appreciated it for yanking my chain and taking a real risk in denying any sort of moral payoff and leaving any character change until the last 10 seconds of the movie.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:37 pm

I just saw this sat. and loved it.

as obvious as it was I reallly loved the metaphor of the Pinot Grape to describe himself/Giamatti. I am still debating wether his character knew it or did it with out realizing because he always seemed to romanticise everything.

One of the best films I have seen in awhile.
Chad Townsend

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:26 am

A best picture and best director nod will help this flick get even better distribution.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:43 am

WillisDrummond wrote:A best picture and best director nod will help this flick get even better distribution.
I think the Best Picture (musical or comedy) Golden Globe award also fueled it too.
My name is Dave.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:18 am

I just saw this tonight and really enjoyed it, I like it the more I think about it...

I agree with most everyone's comments....Who woulda thought talking about wine all day long could be so interesting...I think the scene on the porch was wonderful...i really enjoyed the last shot too...lots of good moments...

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:32 pm

I liked this movie a lot, and i thought it was a really interesting exploration of relationships and various ways in which one can choose to live life. (Although neither way really appealed to me, personally. Self-pity and depression vs. amorality? Gee, I dunno...)

(That being said... it just reminds me that I still think Incredibles deserved a best picture nod... does anyone consider this movie superior to that one? Apples to oranges, I realize, but the Academy itself does that.)

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:15 pm

The Incredibles is in Best Animated Film or something, which I think has been created as a way of recognising the regular great animated films, but not having them encroaching on Best Picture. Which is a bit of a silly concept, because (as you've already said) the whole concept of the awards is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. But I guess it has some sense to it. The Incredibles was my favourite film of last year, for the record.

As for Sideways, I saw it a few weeks ago and really dug it. Lots of funny, but plenty of food for thought. Good instrumental soundtrack and wonderfully shot too. Paul Giamatti's the kind of actor I just enjoy even if the film's not particularly good, he just has a great presence and is always interesting. It's great he's one of the bigger actors now, with American Splendour last year and now this.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:00 pm

The Incredibles and Eternal Sunshine were my two favorite movies of last year, neithef of which were recognized for Best Picture, but I think Sideways is still a great film. No, I don't agree with either methods of the characters but it works because you can believe that their actions are done because of the personality traits. Some movies have characters do things without any motivation at all.
My name is Dave.