Mr Blue Sky

Great animated shorts

Post by Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:22 pm

"Allez hop! Un peu d'sincérité!
Le Monde est à pleurer!"

-J.L.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:07 pm

I'd recommend checking out Mike and Don's Animation Show, put together by Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeld. Don's short Billy's Balloon is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
While you won't be able to find a copy unless you know one of the people involved, Doug TenNapel (creator of Earthworm Jim, the Neverhood, Creature Tech) and his buddy Mike Dietz made a claymation short a while ago called Koghead and Meatus.

Anybody familiar with the brothers Quay? I've heard good things.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:02 pm

Brothers Quay are pretty good, sort of the fore-runner to Tool's videos.

Tim Hittle has two stop-motion films on Atomfilms that are awesome. They are called The Potato Hunter and Canhead.

Some other favorites: More by Mark Osbourne, F8 by Jason Wen, The Saint Inspector by Bolex Brothers

...and...
Here's my student film (which sucks) if you are bored:

http://www.gnourg.com/other/animation/out-divx.avi

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:39 pm

Probably my favorite shorts ever are Lint People by Helder Sun, and Sub! by Jesse Schmals. Unfortunately I don't think they're available online anywhere.

So, I give you.... Arfenhouse 2.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:58 am

My favorite site http://www.animwatch.com/ It's completely dedicated to animated shorts made by people all in thier spare time.

They are all of a pretty good quality, No sprites.... :D
Chad Townsend

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:46 pm

You can't do much better than Don Hertzfeldt's short films. (He's also a Flight contributor!) I also recommend checking out The Animation Show, which features some of the very best animated short films you're likely to see. The next Animation Show will feature Don's new film, The Meaning of Life, as well as new work from Bill Plympton, Mike Judge, and other gems such as the very entertaining Ward 13. In fact, I believe that film linked on the first post, Pecore, is also on the line-up.

Plouffe

Post by Plouffe » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:03 pm

I saw BIll PLympton's new film a month ago.. its crazy that he does everythign alone and its like FEATURE Length? I liked his story a bit long sometimes felt like it could have been told in less time.. but still good. Nice designs... Oh and i saw Ward 13.. its REALLY well storyboarded and just overall nice.. ITs claymation for those who dont know.. Good line up.. i wouldnt mind attending the ANiamtion show.. Any ideas if its going to be coming to Canada ?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:07 pm

You can stay updated here: http://www.theanimationshow.com/

I think the Bill Plympton piece in the show is a short film. While he does produce features with maybe only one or two assistants, he continues to do shorts, as well.