Uh oh. Toy Story 3 in the works.

Discuss films.
helix7

Post by helix7 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:19 am

I know this is old news, but I'm resurecting this thread because of this article:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/14/news/fo ... sney_pixar

Basically, it says that Disney has plans for sequels to Toy Story, as well as Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, and the upcoming Cars. Now the article also talks about the new CEO, and the possibility of patching up the Disney-Pixar relationship, so there is a good chance that the sequels could be made my Pixar. But I've also heard that Toy Story 3 is already in development, and I get the feeling Disney will proceed with all sequels with or without Pixar at the helm.... which baffles me.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:34 pm

What's so baffling about greed? :D

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:52 pm

Toy Story 3 is in development, I believe. I think it's being written by a student writer of theirs. I remember reading an articles saying that they are having trouble finding a director because nobody wants to cross Pixar. Also, I believe it was from that same article, I read that while Disney has the rights and stuff to make these sequels, they don't have anything else, such as all the computer models and everying. Which means that they have to recreate all those characters from SCRATCH. Those poor, unfortunate fools.

Dave_MUZ

Post by Dave_MUZ » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:58 pm

If my memory serves, Disney originally went ahead with Toy Story 2 without
Pixar's input, and when Pixar saw how it was going, leapt in at the last minute to clean things up.

If I see Treasure Planet 2 on Disney's next year release schedule, I think I'll
die laughing.

Walter

Post by Walter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:44 pm

I'll direct Toy Story 3.

I have some experience and I'm unknown enough to come in as a fresh face not meaning to "cross" Pixar

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:10 pm

I wanted to bump this thread up with this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050616/en_ ... MlJVRPUCUl

Talks of Toy Story 3 being set in Taiwan, as Buzz Lightyear malfunctions and is recalled. The gang go back to save him.

:::sigh:::

Yellow man just can't get a break these days.
My name is Dave.

parka

Post by parka » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:43 am

If Toy Story 3 is good, then it's good.
If it sucks, it will make TS and TS2 better by comparison.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:08 am

With Eisner gone, I still think there's a fair chance for Pixar to sign a new contract with Disney again. And if Disney still forces Toy Story 3, I'm sure Pixar wouldn't just tweedle their thumbs in its development.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:41 pm

On a related note, did anyone else find the Pixar short about the dancing sheep who gets fleeced naked once a year but keeps a positive outlook in the end a bit... like Pixar's relationship with Disney? Is this Pixar's cry for help? And is Disney really so dense as to not have realized the dancing sheep story even had a subtext?

Edit: RE: Toy Story in Taiwan. You know that line in Armageddon when the cosmonaut complains that "American components, Russian components, all made in Taiwan!" and that's why the shuttle doesn't work properly? I was living in Taiwan when that movie came out on DVD. That line was not well appreciated. At all.

Armageddon: another Disney masterpiece.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:31 pm

This just in!
Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger. Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney's Board of Directors as a non-independent member. With the addition of Jobs, 11 of Disney's 14 directors will be independent. Both Disney and Pixar animation units will retain their current operations and locations.
I think this is good news in my opinion. John Lasseter is with Pixar until 2011 as far as his contract goes. Where he goes after that remains to be seen. But I have hope overall. Steve Jobs is Disney's biggest shareholder, which is no bad news at all.

Whether or not the sequel of Toy Story 3 will continue, I'm sure that might be part of the aquisition deal.
My name is Dave.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:58 pm

Yup, and THIS piece from the NY Times is the greatest bit of talk I've heard from this latest merger:
Another the hotly discussed question among artists has been whether Mr. Lasseter - despite having made Pixar's fortune with a brilliant series of computer-generated hits - will bring back the traditional 2-D animation on which the Disney empire was built. Mr. Lasseter and other Pixar artists are known for their enthusiasm for the classic Disney films, and for the drawn features of the Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki.

Mr. Cook commented, "I've talked about reviving 2-D with John for some time, it wouldn't surprise me at all if these a project emerged that we would want to do in 2-D."

"To a lot of animators, John is kind of a King Arthur figure who represents the classic storytelling Disney was known for when Walt was alive," said the animator Pres Romanillos, whose work includes the evil Shan Yu in "Mulan."

"In many ways, he created the C.G. age and he's the one who can bring back traditional animation. And if he does, ask him if he wants my résumé."

It gives me chills just thinking about the possibility of bringing back what MADE Disney what it is. Hand drawn animation and characters. John Lasseter worked with hand drawn animation before and highly respects the medium... I have no doubt that it'll happen.

One can only hope. It's just a matter of time.
My name is Dave.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:51 pm

Fear not! Toy Story 3 is no more!

from Cartoonbrew...
Let the good times roll. According to the LA TIMES (reg. req'd or BugMeNot), TOY STORY 3 has been shelved. The announcement comes hardly as a surprise: Disney started the TOY STORY 3 unit primarily as a bargaining chip for these negotiations. Nevertheless, it's nice to see, for once, an animated project that shouldn't be made get dumped. Here's the TIMES:

In remarks made during a Tuesday conference call with analysts, Iger and Pixar Chief Executive Steve Jobs implied what other sources confirmed Wednesday: that Disney's 150-plus-person Pixar sequels unit — which is housed in a Glendale warehouse and is already at work on "Toy Story 3" — will soon be no more.

"We feel very strongly that if the sequels are going to be made, we want the people who were involved in the original films involved in the sequels," Jobs said.

Iger sounded the same note.

"It was really important to me that the people who made the films originally, who had the vision, who knew the characters and the essence of these films get a shot at making any films that were derivative," the Disney chief said.

"While Disney might have been able to make them, Pixar making them is just so much different," Iger added. "Not to take away from the talent of other people who might have been picked to make them."
ImageImage

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:28 pm

And all the little children in the schoolyard go, "F'YEAH!!!"

Now we must prevent this from ever happening again.

~IJ

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Thank-you Steve Jobs!

...Though you gotta feel sorry for all the people who no doubt put loads of effort into starting a movie that was only ever really a "bargaining chip."
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image