Cars

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:24 pm

It's as if Veggie Tales married Hot Wheels and Cars is the end result!
My name is Dave.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:31 am

I'm not too sure about the movie either, based on the teaser.
The design looks like something out of an old Disney production, a short film featuring a little blue car named Suzie (?) (her eyes were also in the windshield).

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:50 am

Nofret wrote:I'm not too sure about the movie either, based on the teaser.
The design looks like something out of an old Disney production, a short film featuring a little blue car named Suzie (?) (her eyes were also in the windshield).
Suzie the blue coup, which was a great piece of animation. But humans inhabit that world. Doesn't seem like that's the case with Cars... at least... not from the trailer.
My name is Dave.

Mr Blue Sky

Post by Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:55 am

I never was much of a Pixar fan, their movies were always quite childish and never really hooked me (tough I heard The incredibles was worth it, I have yet to see it).

So when something looks like a polished version of the Magic Schoolbus, I'm going to pass my turn...
"Allez hop! Un peu d'sincérité!
Le Monde est à pleurer!"

-J.L.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:13 pm

Coheteboy wrote: Suzie the blue coup, which was a great piece of animation. But humans inhabit that world. Doesn't seem like that's the case with Cars... at least... not from the trailer.
I felt the same way when I saw forklifts changing the tires on the car instead of people.

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:23 pm

i hope pixar burns us all and makes us eat our posts!

Greg T

Post by Greg T » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:40 pm

Biocreep wrote:i hope pixar burns us all and makes us eat our posts!
I'm in complete agreement there.

I've just got a baaaaaaaad feeling about this one. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Writer/Co-Creator
Hero Camp
Coming from Image Comics 05-18-05

Alex Deligiannis

Post by Alex Deligiannis » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:25 pm

I highly doubt the trailer is anything like the actual film, at all. It seems to be something they put together just to say, "Hey...Incredibles is here, but we're already coming out again." I trust them whole-heartedly, and I think most people do (and surely they are aware of their standing in the industry, so compromising it doesn't seem to be an option). Let's wait and see...

neil

Post by neil » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:43 pm

I agree with Alex; the teasers for the other films weren't that great either. Mr. Incredible trying to get his belt on gave me no indication at all of how awesome that movie was going to be...

Although the redneck car kind of rubs me the wrong way. :?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:04 pm

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. In fact, I don't think the trailer is as bad as everyone seems to think it is. It's nothing special, but the technical aspects are impressive and it's much less annoying than trailers from the other production companies. People also seem to not like the designs, but I actually think they look great. Being a big Bill Peet fan, I may be a little biased. Although I do agree that the redneck stuff doesn't strike me as being too funny yet. Well, I guess being top dog, like Pixar, comes with the intense scrutiny of your next product and overblown expectations.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:14 pm

I am gonna go out on a limb and say EVEN if you dont like the design (I kinda dont, but the rest of my family LOVES them) I can bet that the story is gonna be pretty damn good...Pixar and Story have always made a great couple, I dont see any reason this will be any different...

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:12 pm

Neil wrote:the teasers for the other films weren't that great either. Mr. Incredible trying to get his belt on gave me no indication at all of how awesome that movie was going to be... :?
You're right, but I have to say that when Mr. Incredible was in the corner trying on the belt, and he pounds the desk in frustration... that was seriously the funniest thing I saw in a while. I mean.. it's not THAT funny but the fact that they put it in. That's something that takes a lot of thought and I appreciate it completely. Heehee...I went home and watched that part over and over.
My name is Dave.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:50 pm

An exerpt from Nov 5's Entertainment Weekly:

"The movie is the movie," says Lasseter, now back in the director's chair for Cars, a tale of autos on autopilot in a world without humans, due in fall 2005. "The story is the story, and each one has its own requirements."

So it's true... no humans. But bees exist. Man, i'm overthinking this.
My name is Dave.

E

Post by E » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:03 am

IF this is pixar's last romp with Disney.. im sure this is their big MIDDLE FINGER TO THE LORD send off. Least I hope.. because it looks really reeally bad.
--------------
dookjooky.com

JonS

Post by JonS » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:55 am

I think Pixar's pretty much earned the benefit of the doubt. But, then again, this WOULD be the last of their 5-movie contract with Disney, so I reallly really really really hope those politics aren't affecting it.

They could cross-promote with Chevron :)