Madagascar

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

Madagascar

Post by Coheteboy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:06 pm

The trailer for Madagascar is up and it actually looks halfway decent! It's the penguins that are making me want to see this one:

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist. ... 40&qth=500

And like all of Dreamwroks Animation promotional trailers... they plug the talent in the movie so that you see it for them rather than the story. I know it's about a zoo and some break-out... but that's all I know.

At least the style is a little different!
My name is Dave.

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:13 pm

haha, those penguins are great! yea, the style is new, that's why it looks so cool. 8) :D

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:36 pm

For some reason I dig the story book quality it has...The spiral shaped nose holes...for some reason I really dig em.

This looks way better than Sharks tale was...uggh the first half of that movie was slow slow slow. It proves again that the actors and CG dont make the movie good. Story does, Fit the actor to the character not the character around the actor.
Chad Townsend

orangehead

Post by orangehead » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:09 am

the website for the movie has been updated with a gallery and downloads!!!! :D
Tuesday is coming, did you bring your coat?

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:44 pm

I saw the trailer on the big screen the other day, and the style just looks awesome. It's like a really cool pop-up book come to life.
--Joe.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:09 pm

I finally saw this. I took my daughter to see it today and loved a lot of the gags and characters. I just didnt really care for the story, I didnt have any sense of urgency for the need to get back. although the point was friendship etc...

I loved a lot of the references to other films, like the reference to the Kevin Spacey dream sequence in American Beauty.

I cant help but get the sensation that itches the back of my brain is that the film is a second rate Pixar film. It almost gets there with the overall character and story developement but just falls a bit short.

This film is way above Sharks Tale as far as entertainment value. I would say it's a 7-1/2 out of 10
Chad Townsend

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:18 pm

I'd say 7.5 is pretty much what i got out of it too

the penguins were awesome, but the main characters really started to grate on my nerves as the movie progressed (particularly the lion and the zebra). I was suprised that i actually liked the giraffe the best. out of all the characters in the movie, my favorites were the secondary ones... the penguins and the lemurs (i think they were lemurs anyways... heh). yay for comic relief!

at least it's better than sharktale... thank god

=BoB=

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 am

Yeah the Lemurs were awesome! It just makes me want to get up and start singing... I like to move it move it! :lol: My daughter sure did when the movie ended.
Chad Townsend

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:11 pm

ChadTHX1138 wrote:I finally saw this. I took my daughter to see it today and loved a lot of the gags and characters. I just didnt really care for the story, I didnt have any sense of urgency for the need to get back. although the point was friendship etc...

I loved a lot of the references to other films, like the reference to the Kevin Spacey dream sequence in American Beauty.

I cant help but get the sensation that itches the back of my brain is that the film is a second rate Pixar film. It almost gets there with the overall character and story developement but just falls a bit short.

This film is way above Sharks Tale as far as entertainment value. I would say it's a 7-1/2 out of 10
Accurate assessment, but I don't know I'd rate it as high as a 7.5. Great animation, though. It's hard to watch other animated films after inundating myself with Pixar.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:14 am

Finnegan wrote:I'd say 7.5 is pretty much what i got out of it too

the penguins were awesome, but the main characters really started to grate on my nerves as the movie progressed (particularly the lion and the zebra). I was suprised that i actually liked the giraffe the best. out of all the characters in the movie, my favorites were the secondary ones... the penguins and the lemurs (i think they were lemurs anyways... heh). yay for comic relief!

at least it's better than sharktale... thank god

=BoB=

The Penguins saved this movie for me. I would actually rather spend my hour and twenty minutes watching their escapades. They're on a mission and they GO places. They also have the funniest lines and "slap"-stick humor. Watching the penguin trying to gain access into the computer was almost worth it.

Second favorite were the lemurs. The king of the lemurs actually made me chuckle out loud for his silly song and dancing. That's something Dreamworks hasn't been able to push me to do before: making me laugh from good animation. Cedric the Entertainer's lemur was pretty fun to watch too... kinda looked like a Gremlin to me though.

Chris Rock's Zebra and Ben Stiller's Lion really annoyed me the most for some reason. Between the lion's constant whining and zebra's constant "that's cracka lackin'"... i just wanted them to get shipped to another zoo and end the movie right there.

I TOO was surprised that the giraffe was the more tolerable of the batch but it all just goes to show... just because you have big stars in the movie (Chris Rock & Ben Stiller), it's the smaller actors (David Schwimmer, Andy Richter) that people appreciate.

And yes.... it's definitely a step UP from that horrible Shark Tale.

Grade: 6/10
My name is Dave.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:49 pm

I would actually think David Schwimmer was worth more than the other two guys, he was one of the highest paid TV actors ever.

The penguins could have had thier own movie...in fact It would kind of be cool to see thier story in it's entirety.
Chad Townsend

Lee M

Post by Lee M » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 am

I give it a thumbs up. Take the inner kids to see it.
Have you ever noticed how most of the trouble in the world is caused by people who claim to be trying to get rid of troublemakers?