Infernal Affairs (2002) / The Departed (2006)

Discuss films.
Kean
Site Admin

Infernal Affairs (2002) / The Departed (2006)

Post by Kean » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:36 am

This caught me by surprise. Mirimax is going to have limited-release screenings in LA and New York of Infernal Affairs, a great little movie from Hong Kong that was originally released in 2002, starring Andy Lau and Leung Chui Wai (Tony Leung). It's about a triad gang that puts a mole in the police force, while the police have done the exact same thing with a mole of their own in the gang. Both sides are trying to flush out their moles, and some great cat-and-mouse games ensue.

The script was surprisingly strong, and two sequels were actually made quickly afterwards. The rights of the trilogy were picked up to be remade in N. America, set to be directed by Martin Scorsese, under the new title of The Departed.

The official website and a trailer can be found here. I loved this movie (even though I'm not the biggest fan of Andy Lau), and this would be pretty neat to catch on the big screen, if I were in the area...

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:02 pm

I have all three movies, while all three were good in their own right, the best was probally the original. So, it's getting the hollywood treatment, eh? I wonder how that will turn out. ;)

Derek

Post by Derek » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:09 am

Can't go wrong with Scorsese. Just can't.

EQ

Post by EQ » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:59 am

thanks kean, if it comes to NYC i will go check it out.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:39 pm

Tony Leung is in everything! Well, it's got him in it, so I gotta see it. He's such a badass...

enrico

Post by enrico » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:56 pm

I enjoyed the first movie ... for some reason though, I can't get over the title ...

E
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:09 pm

Yeah, that title is pretty weak. I am always reminded of the Mike Figgis-directed film with Richard Gere and Andy Garcia. The poster also makes it look like a run-of-the-mill Hong Kong action film. If it wasn't for the word of mouth, I wouldn't even have considered it...

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:38 am

I picked up the first film on DVD last year, after hearing it was going to be remade here in the states. I really liked it. I generally pass on sequels, but since the Grudge 2 was pretty good, I may have to reconsider.

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:37 am

cool, sounds interesting.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:18 am

I finally got around to seeing this film. Kean's right. This is a solid suspense thriller. What's interesting to note is that the directing is pretty so-so, and the soundtrack selection is pretty atrocious. However, the lean, super-tight script, the stellar performances from all members of the cast, and Christopher Doyle's immaculate cinematography take what could have been a pretty run-of-the-mill Hong Kong action film and turn it into a tense suspense-thriller that relies more on subtle acting than set pieces to pump up the drama. Good stuff.

ephraim

Post by ephraim » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:45 am

I saw this for the first time at my local chinatown dvd shop but didn't pick it up. I think I'll have to reconsider. How can you go wrong when it only costs 6-8 dollars!

There was a couple I wanted to get: Ju Dou and Kung Fu Hustle but they didn't have english subtitles.. Arrghh! I did grab a copy of Throw Down though, has anyone seen this?

Cheers

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:06 am

I found Infernal Affairs to be kind of average. It's got a great cast, looks and sounds slick, but it still can't hold a candle to The Killer or A Better Tomorrow. I probably even enjoyed watching Shiri more than IA.

kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:00 pm

i personally really like these movies. thought the first was really good, second was good but confusing, and the third was the best. ive been meaning to watch them over again.

im still not sure about the US remake though. i think it should be set in NYC instead of boston, and i dont see dicaprio playing one of the older guys, i see him as one of the younger versions. brad pitt i think is a good choice though.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:27 pm

I liked the first the best and the second and third are tied. It's been awhile since i've seen a movie with that kind of suspense. I can see why Hollywood wants to remake it.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Unwen

Post by Unwen » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:21 pm

SonOfaRich wrote: It's been awhile since i've seen a movie with that kind of suspense.
The bust scene where the two bosses become aware of the respective moles was one of the best I've seen in some time. It was also nice that there was not that much action.

The women roles were all a bit weak though, I think the script let them down a bit.
Funny that Tony Leungs old girlfriend got the best part of it.
I found the way they dropped that the little girl is his daughter was very well done.

Has anybody seen the alternative ending for the Chinese market? It was on the DVD as an extra. So goody-goody :?