Kung Fu Hustle

Discuss films.
Kean
Site Admin

Kung Fu Hustle

Post by Kean » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:24 am

From my website:

I caught Kung Fu Hustle last night, as part of the Toronto Film Festival that's been running for almost a week now. Stephen Chow continues to get better in leaps and bounds as a director -- some of the gags had me on the floor laughing my ass off (watching poor Stephen Chow getting stuck with knives and then bitten by snakes has never been funnier) -- but the film really suffers from the "Kung Fu Comedy" syndrome, where the first half of the film is loaded up with the laughs, and the second half devolves into a straight-up kung fu movie. Which wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a heavy reliance on CGI in some of the final fight scenes. I dunno, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way -- I'd much rather prefer watching the physicality and timing of a well choreographed fight sequence than have them try to dazzle me with shiny special effects. But that's just me.

Kung Fu Hustle is still a great, fun movie, it has some great re-interpretations of the traditional kung fu archetypes (the take on the retired masters especially), and there are some absolutely hilarious gags. Well worth checking out whenever it hits theatres (which will be later this year, I'm guessing).

...and it also looks like people had the same sentiments about the film as I did. Well, more or less, anyway.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:07 am

I love Stephen Chow's films. Shaolin Soccer is one of my all-time favorite comedies. I'll be watching this one for sure...

incognito

Post by incognito » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:12 am

Kazu wrote:I love Stephen Chow's films. Shaolin Soccer is one of my all-time favorite comedies. I'll be watching this one for sure...
I love the part where the bad team's coach screams that he will make them all cripples.

That just made me laugh for some reason.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:23 am

How about when he begins worrying about the good guy getting bashed by the evil team's barrage of attacks? Hehehe. He asks his henchman if they're being too mean... I love that part... :D

incognito

Post by incognito » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:30 am

I love that whole movie.

Though the ending scene....with the normal people.

Oh man. That just made me happy like nothing else.

Derek

Post by Derek » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:30 am

I love all the parts of Shaolin Soccer.

incognito

Post by incognito » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:32 am

Who doesn't?!

I really can't wait to see this movie.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:19 am

So the second screening of Kung Fu Hustle that was supposed to play at the Film Fest was pulled. Sony was cited that their reason for doing so was that their only print was damaged and unable to be shown. But now there's an unsubstantiated rumour floating around that claims to be the real reason why Sony had the film pulled.

ephraim

Re: Kung Fu Hustle

Post by ephraim » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:37 pm

Kean wrote:From my website:

but the film really suffers from the "Kung Fu Comedy" syndrome, where the first half of the film is loaded up with the laughs, and the second half devolves into a straight-up kung fu movie. Which wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a heavy reliance on CGI in some of the final fight scenes. I dunno, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way -- I'd much rather prefer watching the physicality and timing of a well choreographed fight sequence than have them try to dazzle me with shiny special effects. But that's just me.
Hmm.. have you seen this film:

http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trail ... large.html

It looks like what you may be looking for. There still seems to be some wire work but it also looks like they wanted to get back to some of the physicality you talked about.

Cheers,
Neil

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:56 am

Aaaah. Ong-Bak. I saw this at last year's film festival. :)

Yeah, there's absolutely no wirework in the film -- which was insane, as there's the one scene where Tony Jaa kicks a guy through a glass pane on the second floor of a building, jumps out through the window after him, and lands additional kicks and punches to the other guy as they're both falling to the ground. I thought that was pretty neat (edit: oh, part of that stunt is in the trailer). The movie was really patchy, but there were certainly some stunts that rival Jackie Chan in his prime.

The Muay Thai looks incredibly brutal in the film, though. They gotta be pulling their kicks and punches, but still. A flying elbow is still a flying elbow.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:26 am

Man, I am so pumped about seeing this film. This is just one of those movies I know I'm just gonna fall in love with...

Official Site

Japanese Trailer

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:02 am

My favorite shaolin soccer moment is with the fat guy reaching for the item in the super market and just falling over. And him going ape for the egg thrown around. "My egg!!!"
My name is Dave.

Quezzie

Post by Quezzie » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:47 am

Oddly enough, it was the egg scenes in Shaolin Soccer I found too much. XD Humor is a fickle thing. Every other part I was double-over in hysterics.

I didn't go in to Kungfu Hustle with a critical mindset, so most of the finer points of kungfu movie-making went above my head. It was just crazy hilarious (I second the knife scene where Stephen Chow keeps getting stabbed, brilliant!), it was very...Stephen Chow. He really is emerging a distinct style in his movies.

I think...the movie felt less like it was about the kungfu, but more about playing with the archetypes and lore surrounding it. Maybe it isn't fair for me to judge them on their use of CG. A movie showing off martial arts itself, at least recently, yeah...I think Ong Bak is a fine example. o_o My mind is blown by those stunts.
Image Image

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:38 am

Man, I love Kung Fu Hustle. It's signature Stephen Chow, with his distinct style feeling more mature and refined, yet of course, it's still ridiculous fun. While the story and plot feel fairly tacked on (and slightly less satisfying than Shaolin Soccer), it gives way to the carefully crafted comedy and beautiful action scenes, which are still top notch. In fact, the film gives me the impression that Stephen Chow is taking this material into more esoteric territory. So while I do think Shaolin Soccer works better as a piece of entertainment, this film is much more interesting as a work of art. It really is beautiful to look at, and hilarious at the same time. It's really fantastic and I highly recommend it.

enrico

Post by enrico » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:22 am

interesting Kazu ... I was a little disappointed by it ... the story and characters just didn't seem to come together as much as ShaolinSoccer .... especially his character didn't quite work for me this time ...
the movie felt a little disjointed ... but I might have to give it a second viewing ...
E
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------