Hero

Discuss films.
dan

Hero

Post by dan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:53 pm

:shock: words cannot descirbe how much i enjoyed this movie. It is exceedingly beautfiul and has a wonderful way of telling it's story. If anyone enjoyed the serenity of Crouching Tiger, I HIGHLY recommend Hero.

dan

Dek

Post by Dek » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:12 pm

The only wierd thing, is that Tarantino's name is plastered on it, despite his having absolutely nothing to do with it. Plus, it's "NEW!" here, but it was made 2 years aho... :roll:

Plouffe

Post by Plouffe » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:39 pm

i saw it a few days ago it was being previewed in toronto. VERY Beautiful movie.

/plouffe

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:13 am

It's funny how some people think it's new but it was even nominated for best foreign film in the Oscars a couple years ago.

I've had it on dvd for a year now and I finally just watched it two months ago. I want to try to check it out in the theaters this weekend. Should look even better on big screen =)

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:22 am

I just caught it also and it indeed is a very beautiful film. I enjoyed it immensely, but a part of me wanted some really really awesome fights, aside from what was shown. Yup, nominated for best foreign film 2 years ago and I was actually hoping that it would have been released sooner.

mmmm....zhang ziyi, I wish she were mine. Only until she got angry though.. because when her nostrils flare up and she starts to yell, I'll probably die.
My name is Dave.

Atomic Monkey

Post by Atomic Monkey » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:37 pm

Wow...Just saw it this morning...man this was great stuff.
Still digesting it right now, but its in my top ten.

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:16 pm

Great movie. I liked how the story was revealed each time it was told and revised.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:29 pm

Some of the action is fantastic. Well, actually, all of the action is fantastic, but some parts are even more fantastic than others. And the way it used the different colors for different versions of the story, so by the third different color or so you were pretty sure that this wasn't the whole story and wanted more, was very cool. This movie bumped Jet Li up about six notches in my book.

Also, that the main character (Jet Li) wasn't the greatest warrior, or even the third greatest, in the context of the story, was one of my favorite parts.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:03 pm

Yah, the more I think about this movie, the more I really appreciate all that was shown on screen. I mean, the choice of color was incredibly cool.

Favorite moments:
-battle between Nameless and Sky, with the water dropping, and the old man playing a tune. Just fantastic

-Broken Sword doing calligraphy until his stick is broken from an arrow. He catches an incoming arrow, breaks it to the appropriate length and continues.

-Broken Sword having his way with Moon and then telling her to leave. Hahaha

-Moon constantly trying to kill Nameless until Sword tells her to stop and that she's no match for him.
My name is Dave.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:19 pm

I've always been a big fan of Zhang Yimou, as well as his film school colleague Chen Kaige, and it's great to see his films doing well internationally now. In the 90's, along with some of the Hong Kong filmmakers like Wong Kar-Wai and the Taiwanese New Wave filmmakers like Edward Yang, the filmmakers in this part of the globe were making the best films in the world for several years.

I still don't think Hero rates up there with his previous films, such as Ju-Dou, Raise the Red Lantern, or To Live, but I do love it for entirely different reasons. The fight sequence on the lake is absolutely beautiful, set in one of the most beautiful locales I have ever seen on film. If you guys liked this, you may also enjoy Chen Kaige's The Emperor and the Assassin. Also, here's a link to the trailer for Yimou's next film, which I think is now titled House of Flying Daggers and not Lovers...

http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trail ... large.html

and a bunch of images: http://www.monkeypeaches.com/shimianmaifu-pix.html

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:47 pm

WOW. i went to see it for the colors, and that's what i got. AMAZING COLORS! and LANDSCPAES! get a load of the land scapes! I don't know where the different color scenes were shot, but I loved the deserts, the plains, the green water, etc, etc. I need to go there.

Interesting how the story probably wouldn't have played out that way in a western civilization.

The fighting was pretty cool, I loved the cinematography and movement, (flowy robes, flowy hair, flowy curtains) kinda overly dramatic for each thing that happens, but c'est la vie, and I enjoyed the movie.

Me and my friend Ben stayed through the credits, and realized everyone had left and we were alone in the theater. We looked at each other with a twinkle in our eyes and hopped to action - imitating punches and kicks in the aisles, lunging at each other with our invisible swords... only to find out there were still people way in the back, who started clapping and cheering us on. so we ran away embarassed.

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:47 pm

Every frame of this movie was beautiful enough that I'd hang it on my wall.

Also, Tarantino is associated with it because he brought it to theatres in the states.

Finally, don't act like you're so bitchin' because you saw a movie two years before some other guys.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Coheteboy wrote:-Broken Sword having his way with Moon and then telling her to leave. Hahaha
That was met with booming laughter in my theater. I don't think it's supposed to be that funny... Zhang Ziyi has a really thankless role! She basically gets her ass kicked and cries through the whole movie, hehe.

Anyway, yeah this was a totally beautiful film. I'm really surprised by how well it's doing. The people at the box office kept asking us if we were absolutely sure we wanted to see it, since so many people were walking out and demanding their money back (gasp! subtitles!).

It was a really interesting take on the same story Chen Kaige filmed in The Emperor and the Assassin; I love how it's completely shrouded in myth.
Kazu wrote: In the 90's, along with some of the Hong Kong filmmakers like Wong Kar-Wai and the Taiwanese New Wave filmmakers like Edward Yang, the filmmakers in this part of the globe were making the best films in the world for several years.
Right on Kazu! Taiwan and Iran basically had a monopoly on the greats. What happened to Edward Yang, anyway? He was some software engineer who decided he just wanted to become a filmmaker after seeing a Werner Herzog movie, and made all these mind-blowing films--I loved Yi Yi and A Brighter Summer Day. Tsai Ming Liang and Ang Lee are still in action...

But please don't forget Hou Hsiao Hsien. He's the king of them all (EDIT: I meant the Taiwanese New Wave, but sure, why not everyone else too). I really cannot wait for his next movie, which was produced by Shochiku for Ozu's centenary.

(ANOTHER EDIT: Since we're talking about 5th Generation Chinese Filmmakers like Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige, I recently found out that the best of them, Tian Zhuang-Zhuang (The Horse Thief and The Blue Kite) is actually not dead or something, and has a new movie. Argh! So many things to see that I can't see.)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:34 pm

Neil, I actually didn't forget Hou Hsiao Hsien, but I didn't mention him only because I have to shamefully admit to not having seen his films. I know, I know. It's one of those things I'm a little ashamed to admit, especially considering he's a favorite amongst so many people whose opinion I highly regard. I am looking forward to watching his films, though...

You know, I also haven't seen Psycho or Rules of the Game... sigh...

Yi Yi is amazing... I actually saw it in the theater the same weekend I saw Croupier and In the Mood For Love. It was like cinephile overload...

neil

Post by neil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:36 pm

No worries Kazu; HHH's movies are actually kind of difficult to find (though there's a brand new box set available!), and seeing some of them on the big screen was a massive stroke of luck for me.

And I've probably seen the fewest films of anyone whose opinion I highly regard, you included.

*sob!*

Oh and, my friend Steve MET TONY LEUNG at the American premier of "Hero." How cool is that?? Apparently he's much shorter than me.