The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Discuss films.
Siftland

Post by Siftland » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:26 pm

Wes Anderson is the best and so not emo.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Well, I saw this a few nights ago, and while I did enjoy it for its style and a few of the subtle funny moments, I don't think it's a very good film. I'll post a review on my site as soon as I get a few more pages of Daisy painted...

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:36 pm

please do! I'm dying to know how it compares to his other work (not so well from what you said)
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:42 pm

Hmm, to clarify, I actually did think it was okay, and it had some really great parts, it's just that for what the film so obviously tries to do, it fails. Still worth watching, though. And it's very entertaining...

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:08 pm

so you're saying it's no Rushmore, but still very Wes Anderson and well-worth your price of admission?
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:31 pm

If you already love Wes Anderson, and that wonderful cast, and great visuals, there's no doubt that you'll like it, as I did. BUT, it's actually a pretty hollow film, with the lead players acting as if they don't know what they're supposed to do and wanting to go home, with the exception of Willem Defoe and Jeff Goldblum. I love Bill Murray, but he never really gets into this film, and the film requires it for the whole thing to work. I still thought it was funny and entertaining, but when the film tries to pull heartstrings I felt a little sadly embarrassed for it because it doesn't work at all.

I think Wes Anderson is at his best when he tries to get you to understand strange, dysfunctional people. He takes what society sees as their problems and makes them really charming. Here, there is no real dysfunction, only that the film as a whole feels fractured. Bill Murray plays the regular guy, as he tends to do, and it conflicts with the fact that the character isn't a regular guy at all. It's a misfire, but it's still an entertaining and visually rich one.

orangehead

Post by orangehead » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:33 pm

ha ha. i just joined and was going to post about this film, but you guys beat me to it...a while ago. :D

I can't wait to see it! so far...I think the best of his movies was royal tenenbaums!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:18 pm

I saw it yesterday...

I totally agree with Kazu - I liked the cast and there were fine moments in it, but it just felt pretty empty for most of the film. I felt like for the first 2/3 of the movie, i didn't really know what was happening or where they were tying to go with it. Of course there are amazing costumes and the sets are kick-ass (especially the boat), funny quirky moments...

So yeah. my Wes Anderson-fanatic friend was raving over it, and I did like it in the end a great deal, (even made me cry but what doesn't) but I felt it was unfortunate that to me, it just didn't feel like a "complete" film, that it very well could have been with a little more.

first time i really liked a Sigur Ros song.

and if you think that just because i wasn't too into the movie, that's going to keep me from being the first one on the black to dress in all baby blue with a red beanie, you're wrong!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:22 pm

i agree with you...the first 2/3's is kinda weak, but then the ending at least redeems some of the movie, once the Ping Islands stuff starts, its all fun!...

I will buy the DVD when it comes out, and I will quote characters all day long...It was still worth watching I think, just not his best work overall...[/code]

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:05 pm

I just saw The Life Aquatic by Wes Anderson and if you are a David Bowie fan one thing you will love about this film is its acoustic guitar playing covers of David Bowie in French. I've got to get the soundtrack if that's on there, it's very fun, and original as a film, but doesn't quite stand up to his others, and the enthusiasm and interactions are just so-so. It's not golden like Anderson's other films, where you get more into the characters and go nuts for them, but worth seeing for some of the quirkiness and moments. The gunfight scenes had be cracking up.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:29 pm

I thought the David Bowie songs were in Portuguese, at least that's what i thought it said in the credits.

hey, also: did you notice that the "loan stooge" is Bud Cort, Harold from Harold and Maud?

It seems to always be in Wes Anderson movies, but race really stood out for me in this movie. I mean, I guess it's supposed to be a parody of New-Englanders or something, but all the main characters are white. Sure, there are some non-white people in the Zissou crew, but they get no lines, and the crew runs into a group of Asians in a really bad way. (trying not to make a spoiler)

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:43 pm

Sweet_Baboo wrote:I thought the David Bowie songs were in Portuguese, at least that's what i thought it said in the credits.
:oops: They probably are in Portuguese Miwa, I didn't stick around for the credits to find out. I was laughing most of the time and enjoying it when it came on so I didn't catch it all that closely, but it sounded fantastic.
Last edited by KingMixer on Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:45 pm

It's Portuguese, yes. The musician is Brazilian.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:24 pm

BTW - here's somewhere where you can listen to parts of the Life Aquatic Soundtrack

http://hollywoodrecords.go.com/lifeaquatic/

i supewr duper recommend the "ping Island/Lightning strike rescue op" theme...! too awesome for words.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:38 pm

My buddy got that soundtrack and we played that Ping Islands song all day long, its the reason he bought the soundtrack!

Oddly enough, thats right when the movie got really good for me...