Batman Begins...

Discuss films.
neil

Post by neil » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:35 am

Haha, good point Kean. Though Derek pointed out that all the ninjas were white anyway! That League of Shadows is definitely an equal opportunity employer.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:02 pm

neil wrote:Haha, good point Kean. Though Derek pointed out that all the ninjas were white anyway! That League of Shadows is definitely an equal opportunity employer.
Huh? The ninja's weren't all white...

benzhu

Post by benzhu » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:49 am

no bra in some scenes

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:05 am

benzhu wrote:no bra in some scenes
Ben, we TOTALLY already covered this topic!

:wink:

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:38 pm

I enjoyed this film, and I would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the pesky "Batman" stuff getting in the way. Hehehe. Just kidding. Although I did feel that the comic book aspect of the property and the story that Chrstopher Nolan wanted to tell were in direct conflict with each other all throughout the film. In one moment, there's some serious soul searching stuff going on, with a tone that could fit well in Terms of Endearment or Ordinary People and in the next moment they're talking about a water vaporizing cannon that threatens to destroy Gotham. The love and care is not bestowed on the comic book aspects of the film (as it is in Spider-Man 2, where the ridiculous ideas are fully embraced). While I applaud the artistry that Nolan, crew, and that fantastic cast brought to Batman, I couldn't help but feel that something was a little off. As far as the quality of the film goes, I think it's magnificent, and very entertaining. If the fantasy and reality were able to mesh a little better, I would have considered this the best film of the year so far.

Og

Post by Og » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:28 am

OK, Kazu, I think we actually agree on this film.

I so loved the Nepali parts of the film that by the time it got to Gotham, I felt tremendously let down and by comparison, disinterested. Plus, I didn't like the fact that Batman's Fancy Toys were basically Military-Industrial byproducts. It explained things nicely, but not the way I'd hope for Tone.

And I hated the water vaporizing cannon as a doomsday device.

That said, yes, it was entertaining, and there were some great action set pieces. But I was thinking there would be more Frank Miller and less Rambo... more magic, and less Humvees.
ImageImage

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:54 am

I hold that Batman Begins is pretty much cinematic Bat-gold, though I too took issue with the microwave gun, mainly because such a weapon would vaporize people too, seeing as we're mostly water. Other than that, nothing really felt out of place.

I actually prefer the uber-realistic manner they approached the bat-mythos, explaining in such fine detail how exactly Bruce Wayne came to be the legendary crimefighter; there's no way one person could invent all of those gadgets, and it makes sense that he would have drawn from his business's resources as he did. I've always felt that Batman was the closest thing to a "realistic" superhero that we could ever have, and Batman Begins reaffirmed that, with its avoidance of a magic Ra's Al Ghul and so forth.