OldBoy ( korean)

Discuss films.
Plouffe

OldBoy ( korean)

Post by Plouffe » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:36 pm

My gf Introduced me to this movie. although i dont understand a word of korean haha ( and im trying to get my hands onto a version of hte movie with subtitles) This movie looks awesome and looks really nice!!!. It also won the Grand Prix award at Cannes Film festival..

Heres some more info on it.
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/films/fic ... ition=2004

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:33 am

Looks interesting. I'll be sure to check it out. Korean films and pop art are currently seeing a renaissance of sorts. Very cool.

MissJing

Post by MissJing » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:20 pm

There's a bootleg of it on eBay.
http://stores.ebay.com/Cannibal-King-DV ... eZl2QQtZkm
The seller is a guy I buy dvds from all the time and has high quality stuff.

I know pirating is bad but sometimes it's the only way you get to see a movie like this. I hear though that Old Boy may get a US distro release on the art house circuit later this year or early next year...

MissJing

Post by MissJing » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Oh and on a comic note - the film is adapted from a manga of the same name that was published a few years back...I hope the success of the film will get the manga translated for an English audience.

BradfordRoca

Post by BradfordRoca » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:05 am

A friend of mine bought this in Korea and showed it to a group of us. It's a very very good movie. Everything about it is top notch, the direction, cinematography, and the acting is otherwordly.

The more popular Korean movies tend to have the 'plot twist ending', this is no different, one of my friends guessed it pretty early but I feel that it in no way diminishes the impact of the film and the ending.

Just my few cents on OldBoy

p.s. I'd really like to see the manga version.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:16 am

Wow, this movie sounds very very interesting.
But yeah, I would love to read the GN first.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

BradfordRoca

Post by BradfordRoca » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:54 am

I just saw another movie by Chan-wook Park tonight called Sympathy for Mr. Vengence. Some really grisly and well shot scenes, very good plot (not flawless but good), and great use of silence. The pacing was tedious but I did not mind. Not quite as good as OldBoy but a fine film none the less.

Matthew Forsythe

Post by Matthew Forsythe » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:23 am

old boy is brilliant. i checked it out in a dvd bang here in korea. very intense, sexy and stylish. like just about every korean film, it suffers from poor editing so it runs a little too long. just noticeably so.

check out the trailer here; it should give you a good idea of the feel of it :
http://www.asiandb.com/browse/movie_det ... mode=stuff

after it's huge showing at cannes, it looks like chanwook park will be making some american flicks. good for him; bad for us.

he also made JSA (Joint Security Area), which is generally regarded by Koreans as their best contemporary cinema.