Discuss films.
jrr

Post by jrr » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:20 pm

my girlfriend faye wong is in it..... :roll: i must see.

i've been waiting like 2 years for this film.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:18 pm

I managed to find a rental copy of 2046 in Chinatown yesterday, so I grabbed it without a second thought. The DVD is an official Mei Ah release in China, and while it's annoying that they overdubbed all the Cantonese dialogue with Mandarin (thus forcing me to read all the subtitles), daaaaaaamn, it's a pretty film. And the music...

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so someone else hurry up and watch it so I have someone to talk to about this!!!

So pretty... :shock:

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Oh, man. Just came across the thread on this film now. I gotta see it. So beautiful and rich. :shock: Thanks for bringing this up. Any idea (if haven't mentioned) for US release date? Even if it's obtainable as through bootleg, gotta get myself to Chinatown for it! Yes, yes.

Cuts, baby. Cuts. Music, Design, and Culture

ephraim

Post by ephraim » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:41 am

I just picked up a chinatown copy myself. A friend had warned about an annoying logo that popped up periodically on his copy but luckily this one had nothing of the sort... just a few spelling mistakes in the subtitles but otherwise it looks fantastic.

Can't say I really took in everything that was going on. First time through is just to bask in the visuals, second time I'll try and figure out the plot.

Cheers

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:44 am

i just went ahead and bought this from yesasia.com for $10 after sale and coupon deal.

i like to reserve saying something is a "good" movie until i think about it, but i can say it was a very pretty movie. I really liked Faye Wong in the future train. I liked how the bottom of her shoes lit up, (so pretty!) and how she sometimes acted robot like and sometimes human like.

I got kinda sick of Tony Leung's character, especially how he treated Zhang Ziyi's character.

The Kimutaku (Kimura Takuya) character is... funny. One because he looks so ugly in the 1966 slicked back hair, and two, he pretty much acts the same way in this movie as how he does in all his prime-time melodramas, holiday specials, etc. Always so casual. Kinda weird to see him kiss passionately.

hmm... i'll watch it again sometime. I think I got a better 'feel' out of "In the Mood for Love" because Tony Leung was a gentleman there, where as in this i kept thinking " what a creep!"

I think i like this film.

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:02 am

Hey, thanks for that link. I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy.

I haven't seen many Asian films to know who's who! I'm sure the movie is quite beautiful in cinematography (judging by the trailer!).

Cuts, baby. Cuts. Music, Design, and Culture