Discuss films.
Josh Mauser

Re: Avatar

Post by Josh Mauser » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Man, all this talk about Cameron's undersea exploits makes me think I'd crap my pants if he did an adaptation of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"...now THAT would be something to see.

I'm going to stick with my guns about Avatar...yes, the story
was predictable but that doesn't mean it's not a good story. And thanks to the production design I'm STILL thinking about it weeks later. : )

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Avatar wins best picture for drama at the Golden Globes. Hilarious...the Hollywood Foreign Press is trying to be funny this year.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Stop being cynical. I just saw the film for the third time just now and I can't imagine seeing a film more deserving of the awards. Avatar is a stunning achievement on all fronts. Looking forward to seeing it again in the theater.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:09 am

Everyone I talked to since the film opened got teary-eyed at a different moment in the film, and it was incredible hearing all the varying emotional reactions, running the gamut from when Jake takes his first steps in his Avatar body all the way to the climax of the final battle sequence when the wildlife of Pandora arrives to assist in the battle. After hearing everyone's different reaction, during my second viewing I felt the full emotional impact at every single one of those scenes. Everything someone mentioned having an emotional connection with came through for me, and it absolutely blew me away.

I am bummed that Avatar took home the awards, not because they aren't well deserved, but because there are some fantastic films that were unlucky enough to have to go up against such a Hollywood favorite. Personally I felt like Jason Reitman or Kathryn Bigelow should have taken home the award for Directing, and my pick for best picture is Up in the Air. Even James Cameron himself looked surprised at their selections. That said, I can't fault them for picking Avatar, it really is a cinematic game-changer. Just the right event film at just the right time.

It still cracks me up that a film that asks you to shed your cynicism and enjoy the ride finds so much hatred. And it surprises me that so many artists are resentful of someone presenting an honest vision. If A New Hope came out last December I bet people would be saying the same things about it, and that seemed to stand the test of time just fine.

And let me just say that it's impossible for effects to carry a film, especially for three hours. You can only look at a pretty picture for so long before you start to wonder what the meaning is behind it. People are seeing it again and again for the story, because 'unoriginal' as it may be, it's accessible, it's honest, and it's well told.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

Word!

I don't have the same mixed feelings about those other guys/girls not winning an award, though. I think Avatar is the best movie with the best director this year, and as such deserves the awards! Yeah, those others are good, but they can have a silver and bronze globe. The best must be rewarded!

I'm sorry I missed the movie with you guys... I'm still geared up for viewing #4 though.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 am

Kazu wrote:Stop being cynical. I just saw the film for the third time just now and I can't imagine seeing a film more deserving of the awards. Avatar is a stunning achievement on all fronts. Looking forward to seeing it again in the theater.
Seriously? All fronts??? You really can't IMAGINE seeing another film that also deserves awards?

Seriously though, I did an interview with Danny Boyle today and he said he loved it. He said the action scenes are extraordinary and Cameron raised the bar and took action movies to another level.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

Yep. All fronts, dude. I didn't think it the first time, but after three viewings I'm convinced of its greatness. Very clearly one of the best films ever made, and likely the most revolutionary one I will have seen in my lifetime. My guess is that most filmmakers out there are rethinking how they do everything now. I definitely feel like I just got a wake up call. And that's cool you got to interview Danny Boyle. I love his films.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 pm

I loved it too. It's a simple story, yes, but it's executed perfectly. Let the more complicated morality play for the (inevitable) sequel.

I'm sure a lot of people have already pointed what the humans should've done, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q (omg has it been over 20 years since this came out? i feel SO OLD)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm

And now its officially the number 1 movie of all times.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Just watched it at the Spectrum in Real IMAX and I definitely had a better experience. It was better overall, but one thing I don't understand is that random handheld zoom shot that appears a few times throughout the film.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm

It helps depict scale.