Favorite Films of the 2000s

Discuss films.
gau dog

Favorite Films of the 2000s

Post by gau dog » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:55 am

Favs list of the 2000 decade.
I admittedly have yet to see many movies for this decade, and am by no means an average movie-goer. But of what I've seen, here's a few of my favorites (mostly obscure asian movies):

Monsters Inc. (2001)
Millenium Actress (2001)
Crayon Shin Chan: Adult Empire Strikes Back (2001)
Just One Look (2002)
I Not Stupid (2002)
University of Laughs (2004)
Fireflies: River of Light (2004)
Summer Time Machine Blues (2005)
Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
Memories of Matsuko (2006)
Fearless (2006)
Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2007)
Always Sunset on Third 2 (2007)

Honorable Mentions to:
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Metropolis (2002)
Supersize Me (2004)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Star Trek (2009)

I'm sure there's more, I just forget. I also notice many of these movies have to do with time, sentimental nostalgia, history, futurism. I must be a sucker for these types of movies.
Last edited by gau dog on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dik pose

Re: Favorite Films of the 2000s

Post by dik pose » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:12 am

Wow. This is incredibly difficult to answer. It's been a long 10 years, lots of great films came out in the last 10 years. Here are some of my favorites, this is not the end-all list as I am sure I am forgetting tons of films, here is a short list of some movies I have watched more than once, just a selection of my favorites. I wrote, then deleted all the ones I saw, loved, but will probably not watch again. (I admit I need to cheat to make sure what films came out this past decade)

Royal Tenebaums
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Lives of Others
Once
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Inglourious Basterds
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Amelie
Big Fish
Punch Drunk Love
Letters From Iwo Jima
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou!
Unbreakable
50 First Dates

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:55 pm

You guys, Spirited Away was released in 2001. Not a fave? Heheh.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:30 am

"Spirited Away" was on my second list of films I really liked this decade. I own it, have watched it more than once, it probably should have made the first list. :)

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Don't get me started on Spirited Away or Ghibli this decade :P. Though I will say Joe Hisaishi was great as always. As far as anime in the past ten years, even though I found Millennium Actress and Metropolis to be highly appealing, I found their endings rather unsatisfying. Satoshi Kon's other work and Mind Game never stuck with me. I enjoyed Girl Who Leapt Through Time and that Shin Chan movie the most.

For American animation, Monsters Inc. was best and got robbed at the oscars. The rest of Disney/Pixar movies were movies that I felt had their great moments but as a whole was just passable. Dreamworks style humor is too contemporary for my liking. Sony... do these guys even make animation? (just kidding. haven't seen any sony's work yet, except for Final Fantasy) Happy Feet was... interesting. I don't know whether to love it or hate it. And Zemeckis... will somebody tell the man that motion capture cgi will not save his movies!

kstipetic

Post by kstipetic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Satoshi Kon's other work never stuck with me.
Not even Tokyo Godfathers?

It would be difficult for me to write my list seeing as how I was 14 when this decade started. If I did, I think I'd have to include, just off the top of my head, all Satoshi Kon movies and Voices of a Distant Star. Maybe the Lord of the Rings movies, too, which I just watched for the first time a few weeks ago.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 pm

gau dog wrote:Sony... do these guys even make animation? (just kidding. haven't seen any sony's work yet, except for Final Fantasy) Happy Feet was... interesting.
Come to think of it, Surf's Up would actually be in my best of the decade list.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Tokyo Godfathers, I don't remember much about it other than nothing I loved and nothing bad. I remember a bus unexpectedly crashing into a building. I think Satoshi Kon's one of the most talented filmmakers in the world. As a whole his work is well crafted and interesting. Though very few that I really appreciate. I think I feel the same way about Zhang Yimou. I always anticipate their next movies still.

Yeah, I've wanted to see Surf's Up after reading your glowing reviews, Kazu. I just never got around to it. Is it a "true story" like the trailer claims? ha ha.

Oh yeah, biggest letdowns of the decade= Indy 4, Hero.
Unexpectedly pleasant surprise of the decade= Rocky Balboa.
Worst movie that immediately comes to mind of the decade= 300.

kstipetic

Post by kstipetic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:33 pm

I just remembered my for-sure favorite Kung-Fu movie this decade was Ip Man.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:22 am

Oh, I just remembered. Wallace and Gromit!! Great movie. How could I forget? It's right up there with Monster's Inc.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

This was a great decade for movies. It would be difficult for me to shuffle my Top 10 movies around but one of them definitely stands out: Almost Famous!!

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. "

sloppybunny

Post by sloppybunny » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 pm

I also thought Amelie and the Incredibles were some of the most memorable moies of this decade. I also really enjoyed Lilo and Stitch. In my eyes by far the best movie from Disney since Aladdin :)

I also got into some Korean movies, and 'Please teach me english' was probably my favorite with most having the weirdest morals.

Dark night was probably my favorite blockbuster.

Anime wise Spirited Away probably, but I keep coming back to Metropolis. Don't know why didn't like it on release, but totally grew on me.