Inglourious Basterds

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Inglourious Basterds

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm surprised to see that a thread for this film hasn't been started yet, so here we go. Loved the film. Probably my favorite of the year so far, which is surprising since about a month ago I wasn't excited about this film at all. Going to see it again soon, so I'll post some notes after a second viewing...

thirdeyeh

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:31 pm

I've become suddenly interested in seeing this. I saw Quinton's interview on Conan and I thought, "man I that looks like good times actually." Glad you liked it. I have no idea when I'll make it out to it.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 pm

I'll say it definitely isn't for everyone, but if you know what to expect from a Tarantino film, you'll be happy to see he's back to doing what he does best. Also, despite what the trailers indicate, there is very little action in this film. It is almost entirely built of sharp dialogue, like a courtroom drama. Nearly every scene revolves around a suspenseful interrogation.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Tarantino said on The Charlie Rose show that he was playing around with suspense in this film because his early critics mentioned that he would never be able to do suspense. So suspense is like a rubber band that he likes to just keep stretching for as much as possible until it finally snaps. I must say, those rubber bands he uses are very elastic.

I was quite entertained by the film. It's very amusing. But I do not know if I like what it says about me. People will either like it or dislike it; i'm actually wavering on it. I would have liked about 15 minutes cut out of the film. I think it would have sat better in my stomach and in my head.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

neil

Post by neil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 pm

This movie is terrific (in all senses of that word) from start to finish. Usually when there's so much suspense and dramatic irony in a movie, it starts to hold me at a distance—but in this one, there is such a delightful/disturbing reward in every scene that it kept absorbing me. I feel like so many awkward Hollywood war films have really culminated in something great here.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Outstanding (if not a little disturbing) on all accounts. I felt like the pacing of each scene was perfect and kept me engaged and uneasy all the way. Above and beyond a better film then I was expecting. Definitely enjoyed it.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 pm

yup. one of the best films so far this year. lets hope tarantino never stops making movies.