the hurt locker

Discuss films.
mr cow

the hurt locker

Post by mr cow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 am

this seems to be the summer of great limited release films. the hurt locker was yet another good one, and probably one of the most suspenseful films i've seen in years. my only complaint with it would probably be in terms of structure. there is not really any real discernible plot but rather more of a series of instances that relate to the audience the incredible horrors our trio of heroes have to go through on a daily basis. those instances are amazingly well paced but still, because of this, and like so many films nowadays, the hurt locker sorta loses some of its luster around its third act. as it starts to delve more into the mind of will james, (who truthfully, felt like more of an interesting character when he was simply a hothead with a death wish) i felt as if i was suddenly forced to focus on the less interesting inner workings of his character rather than the aspects of what ALL of the characters are going through.

still none of this takes a away from the intelligent and i can only assume fairly accurate depiction of what it must be like to be stationed in iraq. the film neither glamorizes or reprimands war. it just shows us, through the eyes of three bomb squad soldiers, a pretty scary part of the world right now and what it takes to get the job done. for better or worse.

SonOfaRich

Re: the hurt locker

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 pm

best kathryn bigelow film. Continuous moments of tension. Good characters. Nice ending.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Stick
Flight Moderator

Re: the hurt locker

Post by Stick » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Just watched it a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it. There were a number of tense situations that made me keep yelling "Get the HELL OUTTA THERE!"

All round good times watching it. :)