UP!

Discuss films.
dave roman

UP!

Post by dave roman » Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I really enjoyed it!
Not sure how I'd stack it up against the other Pixar movies (Monsters Inc. is probably still my favorite) but I found it really touching and fun. Lots and lots of cuteness and action. Never has a movie made me appreciate soda bottle caps more!
Congrats to Ronnie del Carmen and everyone else who helped make such a great movie. My wife and I walked home smiling. And talking about all the parts that made us both cry!!!

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sun May 31, 2009 5:29 pm

emotional roller coaster, for sure. I was wiping away tears as they launched into the next gag. I wasn't really sure what this movie was going to be about (the trailer did a good job at not giving a lot away); the prologue was awesome and very touching.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 pm

Loved it. Definitely have to see it again and will watch it in 2D next. The 3D was good, but I did notice the colors weren't as vibrant.

I just have a couple dumb complaints about the movie. I thought Paradise Falls could have had more life. The place was so barren and desolate except for Kevin and the plant life. Also, shouldn't Muntz have been a lot older than Mr. Fredricksen?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Donal

Post by Donal » Sun May 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Amazing movie. I'm seeing it 2 more times. This weekend and next (on my annual Pixar-athon birthday viewing.)
SonOfaRich wrote:Loved it. Definitely have to see it again and will watch it in 2D next. The 3D was good, but I did notice the colors weren't as vibrant.

I just have a couple dumb complaints about the movie. I thought Paradise Falls could have had more life. The place was so barren and desolate except for Kevin and the plant life.
The location was based on the Tepui Mountains of Venezuela.

Granted Paradise Falls is fictional.
Also, shouldn't Muntz have been a lot older than Mr. Fredricksen?
Assuming Muntz was in his mid twenties when he disappeared he'd only be 15-20 years older than Carl. He wouldn't look that much older.
D.
The Myopic Malcontent.
Deviant Art Site.
Crawl before you walk.
http://www.sketchcrawl.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:20 pm

The film made me cry more than I have in a long, long time. The "married life" sequence at the beginning is brilliant and touching. Because the opening is such a tour-de-force, I felt much of the latter parts of the film suffered from having to measure up. When they get to South America, the film relies heavily on plot devices that are not central to the main character's conflicts and choices, but rather serve as obstacles or distractions (though very entertaining). If the villain serves the theme that our heroes are not as important as the people we know and love, and Carl learns this very early in the story, then the villain is relegated to being simply an obstacle that gets in Carl's way rather than the embodiment of Carl's personal conflict. A number of slight missteps like this one, however, were not enough for me to dismiss the brilliance of the production and the wonderful characters they created. This film has so much heart that it navigates over the flaws and it lands nicely in the end. The opening sequence alone is worth twice the price of admission.

I also really, really loved the short film Partly Cloudy. I think it's the best one Pixar has done since Geri's Game. The director, Peter Sohn, should direct a feature for Pixar. He's by far one of their brightest storytelling talents.

MG

Post by MG » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm

I loved this movie. I like Wall-e a lot, but I think that this was the best Pixar movie. The animation was beautiful, but the storytelling was phenomenal. Emotionally, I thought it was very deep but also very subtle. I loved how the opening sequence was so effectively told but with so little obvious exposition. This subtlety provided a great contrast for when everything just got ridiculous and goofy in the jungle. The concept of the talking dogs was pure genius. Everything about the movie just felt extremely fresh and original. It very nicely balanced emotional tenderness and depth with bizarre humor. Great characters too.

SPOILER ALERT

Kazu - I don't completely agree with your interpretation of the vilain's role here. Carl didn't learn the lesson of possessions and ideals being more important than people until he tells Russel "it's just a house" after defeating the villain (who embodies this theme with his obsession with catching the bird, even at the expense of other's lives). I don't think the villain's role was limited to being an object of false hero worship. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point. Regardless, I thought it all worked pretty well.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:39 am

Hey all, it's the summer now so hopefully I can be around this joint a bit more often.

I liked Up, but for all the different reasons that I was thinking that I would like it. I was expecting to like its story, its villain, its deep character interaction and its journey. I didn't like many of those. What I enjoyed instead was the humor, the animation and (as obscure as it seems)the ideas behind Up.

If you're like me, and are going into Up expecting to see a journey about a man in a flying house, set that notion aside. Bad! Bad notion! Good. Sit. Stay. This movie isn't about that, instead, for some reason or another that I don't really want to critisize, the movie focuses more on the destination and less on the journey. The 'journey' that would then take place in the sky, instead takes place on the ground and inside Carl's psyche. Yes, this is a movie about an emotional journey, and he spends the rest of the movie dragging his house around. Kinda makes you wonder why they chose the title Up huh?

The movie then proceeds to introduce a bunch of other characters that, if it wasn't for Pixar's great writing, I can honsetly say we could care less about. However, Doug's outcast, normal-dog's nature and Kevin's fun model and animation make them good companions that, while they are distracting from the 'main storyline' (and that's half the point), they're really cute.

While watching the movie, I was enjoying myself, but I found that I felt kinda empty at the end, because the movie just didn't get to me. Yes I uttered quite a few 'awww's in the theater and Ellie was great, but as soon as the villain was introduced it just felt like he was detering the movie from what it should have been and so the ending felt unfufilled. Almost as though the movie was trying to tell three stories at once: one about an old poacher in an airship, another about Carl's personality flaws and another about an old man going on a journey. For some reason or another though, it just doesn't blend quite properly. I acutally found myself thinking at the ending while the movie is reaching its action climax 'why do I care?' which startled me to think about during a Pixar film. Fortunatly, that sequence finished quickly so I didn't have time to linger on it.

Still, I guess I can't really complain about it, it just didn't meet my expectations. It's good! Really good! A Bug's Life good. I was just expecting more of it being like Monster's Inc. and Rattatoullie good. Elli's charcter was amazing and the idea of letting go and moving on is always a powerful theme and idea so that's why I don't think that anybody who sees this movie will think that they've wasted their money. So yeah, if you haven't seen it yet, go do it now! :D

PS. The Pixar short shown is amazing! Second only to Presto for me.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:01 am

I thought it was great. In the Pixar top 3 for me (Nemo and Incredibles for the other two). Dug was hilarious - I think that was the best handling of talking dogs I've ever seen. Alpha's voice cracked me up every time. The married life sequence was the first time I've had tears spill over at a movie in I don't know how long, usually I only well up a bit. And I thought Russell's discomfort when talking about his Dad came across as so painfully honest and true to that moment.
Plus it was just gorgeous. Hopefully I'll get to see it again while it's in theaters - I just want the chance to see it big again before watching it on my laptop when it comes out on DVD.
I keep a sketchblog here

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Yeah, it was good and well made. Great animation, great music. I almost felt like I was watching an elderly Indiana Jones (as he should've been). They even have their own Shortround! Ellie and the beginning was the best part of the movie. I mean it was jumpy and made me wonder why a girl like Ellie would attract to a kid like Carl (the spirit of adventure's kind of a thin string). But that Pixar, they sure can hit a home run on emotionalism.

I almost felt sad when the focus drew itself away from her and more into Russell and that spirit of adventure. If Carl poetically died at the end to rejoin her, that would've been great. But the focus wasn't completely steered away and UP's story was done well. Too bad Russell's dad was still a no show tho. I love how Pixar handles dogs (except when they were flying bi-planes, that was ridiculous!). Doug's my favorite too. But honestly, I feel like he was only worked in there to sell plush toys. And I'd buy them!

3D was nice, but it does seem to darken or desaturated the colors.

Oh and when the house was floating away in the beginning, the porch was empty!!!! Russell's gag was such a cheat.
But that GPS out the window gag was classic.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 am

apparently Russell was under the house looking for the snipe. And he managed to climb up onto the porch. I guess. Haha, whatever, I guess they had to work that out somehow
I keep a sketchblog here

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 am

We even saw the underside of the house too as it lifted off. It was either a huuuuuge continuity mistake, or just a simple dramatic choice made possible by the use of 'cartoon magic'.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:30 am

It may have taken away some of the awe but Russell underneath the house could've been funny too. With his size, he'd get stuck just trying. Looking at the trailer, I can see "and the director of Monsters, Inc." but no Russell.

It's like that garden hose gag. They fade Russell's grunts to trick you. It's movie chea- I mean, magic.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 am

Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:15 am

Pixar is so great.

Dear Witts,

Re: UP!

Post by Dear Witts, » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:19 pm

It's worth noting that a music artist that goes by the name of 'Pogo' made a remarkable track featuring samples from Pixar's UP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxe5NIABsI