The Secret of Kells

Discuss films.
Michel Gagne

The Secret of Kells

Post by Michel Gagne » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 pm

This does look pretty cool. though from the trailer I'm a little worried that all the visual shenanigans might get in the way of the story telling.

Also, that link didn't work, I had to just go to http://thesecretofkells.com and then click on trailer.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:08 pm

woo! 2d!

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm crossing my fingers, hoping it gets distributed in North America.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Agreed - here's hoping we get to see it here in the US sometime!
I keep a sketchblog here

Josh Mauser

Re: The Secret of Kells

Post by Josh Mauser » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm

so, I've seen this! It's visually one of the more beautiful animations I've seen. Think if Foster's Home looked like it was made from stained glass windows and celtic illustrations, combined with some flat foreground/background transition trickery of Samurai Jack. The music is SO wonderful, by Bruno Coulalis, the man who did the Coraline soundtrack, among others (might be my fav part of this, actually...got the MP3s on Amazon for 8 bucks!).

The story is where it falls flat, but I don't think it's any fault of the visuals. The structure was just lacking: not enough motivation for this, lack of explanation for that, etc etc. The characters are wonderful, very well designed and likable, but those lacking story elements took me out of it every now and again. It just needed a little more and I think it would be a very well-to-do film. At any rate, I want to see more, more MORE from this studio in the future!

EDIT: oh yeah, and it looks like it will be coming to the US (probably going to be an extremely limited release, though O_o )

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2009/11/tomm ... s-home.php

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 am

I've also seen it. It's visually stunning. I thought maybe that style would get a little annoying or look overdone, but I think it worked very well. The story wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad. It entertained me the whole way through.
I keep a sketchblog here

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:57 pm

It is playing at select location next weekend: At the AMC 8 in Burbank (that would be in the mall) from Dec. 4th to the 10th. Check your local listing!

Djaxx

Post by Djaxx » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:43 pm

The animation was beautiful. It felt like I was watching a work of art... or looking through an 'art of' book. It definitely felt as if it had aspects of Samurai Jack in the mix. But I felt disconnected from the characters throughout the film. The story felt like it was an episode out of Samurai Jack that could have been told in 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong, there were scenes that just absorbed me and I could be mesmerized by its ambiance. But overall, story is important and I really wish it were stronger. But I definitely would love to see more work come out of these guys. i know they had some difficult times getting funding and what not. It's definitely is inspiring to watch.