I, Robot

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

I, Robot

Post by Coheteboy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:02 pm

Wow, I just saw the trailer to Will Smith's latest film: I, Robot. Tons and tons of robots fighting... forget everything you remember from the STar Wars prequels... this one looks like it has a taste of Boston Public: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:25 am

I really hop this movie is good. I love the director and liked the book very much.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:47 pm

Ummm... did no one else notice that it looks like they completely butchered Asimov's concepts and philosophies (let alone the 'story') with this movie?

neil

Post by neil » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:03 pm

I noticed. :( It's also one of those terrible trailers that gives away the entire story (which is probably necessary since the film has no distinctive style of its own, and would probably look even more like a parody of an action movie otherwise), so you're really just paying to see the last 10 minutes, in which everything will most likely be resolved by some kind of explosion. I was completely repelled by this trailer.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 am

I say this movie looks like poop. Hot steaming poop.

Neil called it, the trailer turned me off completely too. If a trailer shows too much...it means the movie doesnt have enough. Enough "what" you ask? Enough "good" I answer.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:16 am

Kean wrote:Ummm... did no one else notice that it looks like they completely butchered Asimov's concepts and philosophies (let alone the 'story') with this movie?
Yeah. :(

I also noticed Alex Proyas going for a more vanilla style of directing , if you will. Then again, I'm probably the only person who saw Garage Days, so I can't fault him for going after a safer film.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:28 am

I heard it's not a direct adaptation of the book, just one of those cheap "inspired by" so they justify butchering the plot and replacing it more action sequences and Wil Smith one liners. I think I need to avoid this movie purely on principle.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:36 am

I think i'm going to just watch this for the same reasons I watched "Minority Report". Director, Author, and Special effects.

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:00 am

Neil wrote:( It's also one of those terrible trailers that gives away the entire story
Yep, this was one of the most egregious examples of the trailer ruining the film I've seen in quite some time. Except I kinda doubt there'll be much to ruin.

But man, my guess is the first two acts of the film are wondering whether Wil Smith is right or paranoid, and then boom! the tension shatters when we discover he was right!
Except, uh, there was NO tension, because we saw ol' plot point two right there in the trailer, so instead we've been twiddlling our thumbs for an hour.

Or leaving.

Or not showing up.

Man, if I was directing this movie, I'd be PISSED about that trailer.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:04 pm

i loved the books.

if they butcher this. i swear i'm going to go nuts.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:23 pm

:::sigh::: you guys are right. They did show too much in the trailer. I think they should have saved all of the fighting robots for the actual film.

I still have to see this movie though. Just to see what they do to Asimov's writing.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:18 pm

The trailer is unfortunate. I really hope it's better than it looks, though I highly doubt it. I think this film would have been better if it was done in the style of classic courtroom dramas and less like a summer action flick (which, of course, it is).
Last edited by Kazu on Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:23 pm

Kazu wrote:The trailer is unfortunate. I really hope it's better than it looks, though I highly doubt it. I think this film would have been beter if it was done in the style of classic courtroom dramas and less like a summer action flick (which, of course, it is).
Kinda has to be for the budget, doesn't it? Unfortunate, but probably true.

Soulhunter74

Post by Soulhunter74 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:22 am

This will probably once more be an example of a movie that SHOULD NOT have been made. Some books just shouldn't be turned into movies. Of course it also always depends on the director etc ...

Just read the Robot books and ignore this movie. Maybe there'll be a decent one sometime? Because the stories by Asimov are actually fantastic so drafting a good script from them shouldn't be too hard??

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:17 am

I'm going to give Alex Proyas the benefit of the doubt.