Coraline

Discuss films.
jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Josh-Ulrich wrote:Okay I just saw the movie and I absolutely loved it. I was really hesitant to see this movie, but I had a blast! The 3D really made the visual experience fun. After this and Bolt, I'm really happy with the direction 3D is going.

However, somebody please PM me or something and explain what the deal is with the after credits..? Other then looking kind of cool, it was entirely a pointless waste of me sitting in the theater for ten minutes. What am I not getting? Somebody school me on this, cuz I was disappointed.
It was basically a 3D view of what the mouse scene looked like before all of the compositing/effects. Seeing all of the rigs they had to set up for every frame of that sequence was really incredible, especially since it was shot in 3D.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm

OHHHHhhhhhhh, okay, I definitely didn't realize that. I know what to look for next time. Thanks!

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 am

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I knew I'd love the visuals but I was afraid that it might fall flat sorta the way James and the Giant Peach has great visuals but is kinda boring. I agree the Coraline's character wasn't so fleshed out and it's questionable how much she grew, but I'd argue she was a lot more interesting than Alice in Wonderland.

I'm not a fan of wearing 3-D glasses over my glasses but for the most part it was worth it. I only had to take them off a few times to let my eyes rest.
The added depth and appreciation of all the detailed sets is worth seeing it again for.

And bonus fun fact for the fellow nerds: John Hodgeman's (the Deranged Millionaire) singing voice is John Linnell (They Might Be Giants).

elara

Post by elara » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:35 am

I loved it. And I'm not reading anyone's reviews to spoil this happy feeling!
:P
Also, I thought Wybie would drive me crazy due to the fact that he was invented for the movie (read the book) but he wasn't so bad, actually I really enjoyed his character and wished they fleshed him out more character wise. (and Coraline too actually...yeah)

besides that, pure fun, crazy and absolutely gorgeous film.

Oh but I thought the dad's voice John Hodgman was really flat, then again he is supposed to be pretty boring so I guess ...yeah it was! Teri Hatcher fit perfectly for the mom, and Dakota was ok...did anyone notice she has an accent? Was that on purpose, or was it just me?
~~ Elara

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 am

Interesting fact from the desk of one of my film buddies:

Apparently, Selek was working on this film while Coraline, the book, was still in its rough stages which is why the movie differs a lot from the book. It seems that by the time the finished novel had come out, both Gaiman and Selek had taken the story in different directions.

At least that's what I've come to understand through the grape vine.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Visit the Tragic Planet!

io

Post by io » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Good interview, thanks Joey!

elara

Post by elara » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 am

I enjoyed it as well, thanks for sharing that link
~~ Elara

gau dog