Doubt

Discuss films.
dark77778

Doubt

Post by dark77778 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:03 am

Now using the advent of the moving pictures, see real theatrical drama from the comfort of a big screen TV!

Doubt drags cinema back to the old school by playing itself as though it was on the medium it was meant for: the stage. While watching the film, you can feel the act structure, the dramatic tension, and feel like there should even be an intermission thrown in there at some point. Even the ending ends on such a theatrical closing line that I felt the urge inside me to say 'cue lights, fade to black, blue, lights up, curtain call!' Needless to say, any film that makes me feel like that is awesome in it's own right.

Because of the above nature of the film being old school, everything in the film revolves around the acting. If the acting wasn't good, the film wasn't good. Fortunately, the acting is outstanding and is made possible by such a wondrous cast! Seriously, Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams [Giselle from Enchanted]? How can you go wrong? Oh, the unforgettable performance made by Viola Davis even gives Miss. Streep a run for her money in an acting duel that is cooler than a duet between Javert and Valjean. Not to mention that John Patrick Shanley knows exactly what he needs to direct in his own movie/play [written and directed...so old school] to accentuate the impact of the scenes and setting surrounding the acting.

One of the problems with the film is that it's all in the acting. There isn't much else to it, so if you don't like watching the powerful delivery of lines, then you might not appreciate this film...but the lines are so powerfully delivered that it's hard not to. The story is exactly what you'd expect it to be from the trailer and it doesn't really expand much except that there's a difference between the beginning and the end [go figure :roll: ], but it's how this all comes about and all the juicy dramatic devices that are used that makes all the difference.

The movie is classified as a mystery drama, but the mystery is supposed to be more on the viewer [hence the title 'Doubt'] and less on the characters. The film does this in a neat way by branching limited and confusing perspectives, which the viewer [and Meryl's character] hopes will give them more information.

I say see this film no matter what at some point in your life. If you're looking around for a film to see on the big screen and can't think of anything that you haven't seen yet, see Doubt. However, it's not a film that I recommend as required to watch on 35mm. You can really watch it anywhere, and I think that I'd actually enjoy watching it even more from the comfort of my own home to be honest. Even still, if you love theater culture like I do and want to share the experience with the audience, then there's certainly nothing against seeing it in theaters either.

This film is a theatrical performance that I swear 'V' would endorse wholeheartedly. A vexing venture of voluptuous performance!
I'm my own breed of eccentric.