slumdog millionaire

Discuss films.
mr cow

slumdog millionaire

Post by mr cow » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:50 pm

i'm surprised to see nothing about this film on here yet (i suppose it's still in limited release). jen and i saw it this past weekend and absolutely loved it. and maybe i need some time away from it a bit but i'd place it with speed racer and dark knight as one of my favorite films of the year. the story, the style, the soundtrack- everything fit together very well. and while nothing about it was overtly complicated, it was very easy to become fully engaged with the main character, jamal, and his relationships with his brother salim and childhood friend latika. boyle never let jamal's character path out of his site, despite the majority of the film taking place in the slums of india where i'm sure a lot of commentary could have been told (yeah, i'm looking at you wall-e).

after being pretty disappointed in sunshine, it was great to see danny boyle remind me of why he's one of my favorite directors. i highly recommend this!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Man, I can't wait to see this one. It's been at the top of my list.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

I saw this movie a few weeks ago. I wouldn't call it profound in any sense, but it was definitely a fun ride; probably the most impulsive, crowd-pleasing movie I've seen this year. Everyone in the audience seemed to have a content smile on their face when the lights went up--probably also because the movie ends with a Bollywood-style dance number between the credits. It's a fun way to wash the violent crime out of your system!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 am

The one movie I should've seen at TIFF that I didn't. It's going to be playing non stop downtown though for a while so I'll be able to catch it.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am

Finally saw it and it was everything that I had expected it to be, which was good. There wasn't a single thing in the movie that I could dispute being done better.

On a personal level, I kinda disliked the minor switch in the film 'genre' [and I'm using this term loosely] in the second half of the film, but at least it flowed in with the rest of the film and the p.o.v was switched as to not reflect this change so it worked. The Millionaire elements in the film were sometimes played sloppily if seen from a real life context, but in the coincidental context of the film, it works beautifully. Oddly enough, I wasn't compelled to see the movie again, even after enjoying it though, so it's one of those films I guess. Great ending sequence too, very Bollywood.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:49 pm

I loved it. And I know people seem to have a problem with the second half, but I thought it was perfectly structured. Everything you go through with the characters in the first half is necessary for the second half to work, and I thought it was an emotional powerhouse.

Recently, Amy and I also watched Sunshine, Danny Boyle's previous film. I thought it was stunningly beautiful, and it was a superb suspense thriller. The ending didn't bother me the way it did some of my friends, since I thought it all fit within the logic of the film's universe, and it all worked to convey the mounting adversity that the characters were up against to accomplish their mission (by externalizing the internal conflict). Great stuff.

Anyway, not that Slumdog Millionaire needs any more word of mouth to help its already great success, but I highly recommend everyone to go see the film. It was nice to see that our theater was packed!

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:20 pm

I had fun and I liked it a lot.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Danny Boyle is on a roll! Slumdog might be up there with Trainspotting as Boyle's best film.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 pm

I've been wanting to see this for a while. I might wait till it comes out for rental.
Kazu wrote: Recently, Amy and I also watched Sunshine, Danny Boyle's previous film. I thought it was stunningly beautiful, and it was a superb suspense thriller. The ending didn't bother me the way it did some of my friends, since I thought it all fit within the logic of the film's universe, and it all worked to convey the mounting adversity that the characters were up against to accomplish their mission (by externalizing the internal conflict). Great stuff.
Yeah man, the first time I saw Sunshine, I got chills when they went out to repair the damaged reflectors on the shield. I watched it again and got the same reaction, so for me, that's a good sign. I don't know, I could see how this movie could have been a total letdown if it were directed by anyone else with the typical, unimaginative Hollywood space movie approach. The movie really slows down and lets you get a sense of being on the ship as well as in the presence of the sun, and the soundtrack is just amazing. I could watch it regularly and not get sick of it.
Image Image

stephenpeter4

re:

Post by stephenpeter4 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 am

nice movie :) i too enjoyed it :)