Bridge to Terabithia

Discuss films.
jcaffoe

Bridge to Terabithia

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 am

Did anyone else see this? I put it on my netflix instant queue and just got around to watching it tonight.

I'm not really sure what to think...it seemed really uneven. I'm really a sucker for 'through the looking glass' type stories, but this one just didn't sit well with me...

As soon as they finish setting up the character it's already hard to imagine a kid leading as miserable a life as Jesse, and it seems like things just progressively get worse for him. His alternate universe is set up as an escape from his horrible reality, and ends up being just that, an escape, nothing more.

I guess that's my biggest problem with the film. They build up so much adversity towards this seemingly great kid, and then there's no real development for him. He leads a horrible life where horrible things happen to him, he sets up a way to escape it, and that's all. He doesn't learn to confront his problems or work past them, he learns to cope. It leaves you feeling really cheated because you just want to see him find himself and they never give you the satisfaction. You just feel sad afterwards.

Anyway, I had high hopes, but was left fairly disappointed. Should I try the book?

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm

The book is incredible - one of those books for kids that I think works for anyone and doesn't ever stoop to pandering to the kids.

The movie made me so angry. I felt like they were just pulling all the emotional chords they knew would work, but without any real involvement in the characters development. So it made me feel sad and tear up, but also angry that I could actually tell that it was just manipulating me.
I keep a sketchblog here

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:43 am

squirpy wrote:The book is incredible - one of those books for kids that I think works for anyone and doesn't ever stoop to pandering to the kids.

The movie made me so angry. I felt like they were just pulling all the emotional chords they knew would work, but without any real involvement in the characters development. So it made me feel sad and tear up, but also angry that I could actually tell that it was just manipulating me.
That's exactly it! I think this is one of the first films I've seen where I just felt absolutely exploited, like they were just using my investment in the characters for the sake of emotional impact rather than servicing the story.

I think I need to read the book...apparently it's one of those books that everyone read around fifth grade and I just happened to miss...

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm

At least this movie had some merit over The Secret of Moonacre, which just sucks outright [Dakota Blue Richard's acting aside, being the only thing that holds the film together].
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

lupus6x9

Post by lupus6x9 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 pm

I haven't read the book yet, but it was a sad movie.

To jcaffoe: "hard to imagine a kid leading as miserable a life as Jesse"
What? Jesse's dad is a bit of a jerk, and there's some bullies at school. That's not a miserable life. He's a great runner; kids at school root for him. And he's even a good artist commented on by his teachers. And he has freedom after school to go play in the woods instead of going straight home to homework and chores. His life is great, just not perfect.

I agree on character development, though; it feels like they tried to stuff a lot of emotion into something because even though we could connect to the characters, there wasn't a lot of actual character, just drama development.

It still made my cry though, so, manipulated or not, it was a powerful movie to me.